Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Kaanapali?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Ginger

My husband and 2 friends are planning a trip to Hawaii in May. We've heard about the Papkea Resort/condos--they're cheap, maybe a little too cheap--so I'm wondering if anyone's been there or knows anything about them? Please let us know so we don't end up in a dive.
Thanks a bunch!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:05 AM
annemarie

We have stayed at both Kapalua and Wailea but have not seen this property. Pulled out my Frommer's...only drawback they say is that it is not on a sandy beach.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Lori

We stayed next door to the Papekea (at the Kaanapoli Shores) a few years ago. The beach is not too good (narrow and somewhat rocky) but the grounds were very nice looking at the time. They are 2 story buildings but I do not believe they have a/c just ceiling fans (this can affect the price of the condo). May can be warm and if you get ocean front the setting sun will be hot as it hits your condo. I would not call it a dive tho, actually the grounds looked rather pretty. Check out the Mahana (Kaanapoli area also) if it fits your budget it is a very nice place, all condos are oceanfront. You need to ask for a remodeled one tho because they vary in furnishings. (Most all condos are individually owned and thus can be furnished very nicely or just so-so)

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Jen

I stayed at the Papakea condos for two weeks a couple years ago (hopefully this is the same place - it's in the Kaanapali area on Maui?) The complex is considered a 3 star out of five. With respect to the grounds, they're pretty nice. The grounds are well kept and there are lounge chairs for you to sit out on by the ocean. There's a small putting green and a normal sized condo-complex pool, jacuzzi, and barbeques. The area is well maintained. If you want a beach, however, this is not the place to stay. It has a beautiful view of the ocean, but the water comes right up to an ocean wall with rocks below. I snorkled a bit off the wall, but there wasn't much to see. I liked the location because it was close to the nice beaches off Kaanapali and the restaurants and shops in Lahaina. But, we spent most of our time at other beaches (only a short drive) or doing other activities off site. With respect to the actual units, I know there are full time residential units there, as well as rental units (I was staying with a friend who had borrowed an unrented unit from relatives). So with the rental units, I guess that means you'll be depending on the owner for the condition of the individul unit. Overall, I didn't think it was a bad place to stay based on what I know of the rental rates. We we were able to barbeque at night by the pool and either bring our dinner up to the lanai off our unit or sit on the ocean wall and watch the sunset. Overall, it's a clean, quiet property.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Vicki

Really enjoyed our stay at Papakea a few years ago in February. Remember, if you really are to enjoy Hawaii, you will spend little time in your condo, as we did. The price was right, the grounds were beautiful, two pools, and we drove to the best beaches anyhow. We'd really love to return to the place someday.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Tammy

Two weeks ago we stayed at the Kaanapali Shores Resort-right next to Papkea. The Papkea grounds were tropical and seemed well maintained. There is no beach but you can go to others. I haven't been inside a condo but since they are individually owned see what your condo is like first. If you don't like it ask for a differnt one. We did this at the K Shores as we wanted 2 twin beds for our boys. Have fun!