Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Catalina Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Rose

Hubbie and I are going to Catalina Island this October for first time.. any suggestions for an affortable place to stay and fun activities would most be appreciated. Thanks!

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:24 AM
xxx

The Zane Grey Hotel is nice. It sits way up on the hill above the harbor, offering a great view. Because of it's hilltop location, it's also removed from the noise and bustle of the streets down below. As for fun, there's a golf course, the glass bottom boat tour, plenty of restaurants, and some nice hiking.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:01 PM
gwen

and the Catalina country Club is beautiful...nice place to have dinner, catch the sunset

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:03 PM
gwen

Also I think it's called Snug Harbor Inn- a B&B in the middle of town- smallish room s but high class...but I agree Zane Grey has a great locale plus a little history

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:31 AM
gail

Give a call the Beach Realty. Some of the little casitas are very nice. Whether it is less expensive probably depends on how long you are staying. There are places for every price and interest. We have stayen in about 5 places there and they all were different based on why we went there.The best way to find the least expensive is to get the brochure from the Chamber as they are all listed in a grid with amenities. Closest to the water and Lua Larries(Teriyaki Burgers and Pina Coladas!) is The Pavillion. This is probably the least expensive closest place that is decent. Some of theless expensive hotels are pretty run down. They cater to scuba and scuba is the priority.Make sure to do a text search as I believe you will find other related posts.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Rose

Thankyou all for your suggestions

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:22 PM
karen

My husband and I stayed at The Old Turner Inn, a B&B, 310/510-2236, during the first week of May. We paid $145 per night for the queen suite during that time period. (FYI--only the king and queen suites have window air-conditioning units.) The breakfasts are wonderful, always an "egg" dish, homemade granola and freshly squeezed orange juice. If you're calling around to compare, ask other hotels what their breakfast consists of, usually it's coffee and a danish. The rooms are very nice and the location is great! In the "flat" section of town it's a block from the Green Pier and a half block from the Tour Plaza. You really can walk everywhere in town. The Old Turner Inn also provides a wine (or soda) and hors d'oeuvres social hour in the evening.

We ate at Mi Casita for mexican and Cafe Prego for Italian. Both were very good.

If you're interested in the Wrigley botanical gardens, you could walk there on your own (this is a desert/mountainous island so be prepared. It's about 1 mile uphill from the Inn.) and pay only $3.00 instead of a tour which we did and really did not have enough time. However, all of the Discovery Tours were good. We took the Inland Motor Tour (approx 4 hours); Avalon/Botanical Gardens (I can't remember how long this was but these tours are combination tours and a better price if you take them. Also, discovery Tours gives a discount if you book multiple tours. Check www.scico.com.) Another FYI-Flying Fish Tours, Seal Rock Tours and Sundown Isthmus Tours are done seasonally so check before hand.

Some people complained that prices are high on the island, but I didn't think they were any worse than the touristy areas of Chicago (where we're from). Everything has to be shipped in via boat, so it's to be expected.

During season, cruise ships stop at the island, so those days are busier.

There is a $41.00 charge (for 2 people one way from Long Beach on the Catalina Express) to get to the island. There are limitations on how much luggage each person can bring, but it wasn't a problem. Of course, you could take the helicopter.

Overall, there are things to do...or you could just relax. I wish we could have stayed longer on the island. I can't wait to go back.