where to stay in Boston?

Search

where to stay in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay in Boston?

My husband and I are planning a long weekend trip with another couple in June. We will not have a car. I know there are a few different areas to the city. which would be the best area to stay where we can walk to many different attractions? Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Copley Square/Prudential, subways close, restaurants and great shopping.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM

I agaree with Cigalechanta, but would add a few more locations - esp if you are using something like a hotels.com to either book or look for ideas -
b/c sometimes they refer to locations by areas and I think you'd be fine for walking/locations with
Copley Sq/Prudential and/or Downtown, Boston Common, Boston Public Garden, Back Bay, Newbury Street and Faneuil Hall, the Waterfront -

Of these, Faneuil Hall and the waterfront would be my last two choices,unless being on the water/harbor is important to you.

if you type "Boston hotels" or "Boston lodging" into the search this forum bar at the top of the page, you will see lots of posts come up on the left with tons of recommendations for Boston hotels with good locations
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:08 AM

try the hilton back bay, adjacent to prudential mall, the library, newbury street, Giacomo's restaurant on Columbus at Pembroke.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM

I've always loved the Ritz Carlton, located on the Boston Common and just a short walk from the glories of Newbury Street and Copley Square (in one direction) and Beacon Hill (in the other direction). You're also a quick cab ride from Faneuil Hall and the Italian North End -- as a former Bostonian, trust me that you're better off relying on cabs and/or walking. Driving in Boston is a challenge!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM

I just read the New Yorker article that said Manny LIVES at the Ritz - wow! Sorry, didn't mean to get off-track.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

The original Ritz (on Arlington Street at Newbury) has a tower of (very fancy) condos attached.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM

The Ritz (older) at Arlington St is not a Ritz anymore, it's a Taj Hotel
there is a Ritz Carleton (newer) near Boston Common
Both have condos, the North and South Tower at the Ritz carlton and the "Carlton house" condos at the old Ritz/ now the Taj / so maybe they will start calling those something else also.

Either is a good location.

Tkafam; I thought you were asking location, as in to look on a hotel finder site like hotels.com or expedia, or maybe priceline, etc - if you are looking for specific hotels, couldn't comment without a price range -

for example -
for some, the Radisson often has excellent packages, is a good walking location, and is clean, etc - other favs would be the Fairmont Copley Plaza and/or the Eliot if you want a suite hotel - others would only want a XV Beacon/Nine Zero / - do you want modern, old world, a mall downstairs, more quiet - would you consider a B & B, -

give us a price range and if any amenities you would want and it would be easier to recommend
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:48 PM

Lavande, the old Ritz faces the Boston Public Garden on the corner of Newbury. The Boston Common begins after you cross Charles Street
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:04 AM

The best deals can be had with priceline. Im the past year I visited a couple of time, and used priceline to "name my own price'. Both times I ended up with the Sheraton in the back bay area (across the street from the hilton mentioned above). It's a very nice hotel, very convenient, and I was able to get a great deal.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Escargot, you were right, I did want areas, not specific hotels. I figured if I narrowed it down to a specific area, I'd be able to find a hotel pretty easily. We just want a safe area, where we can walk to most sites. Thanks everyone for your help!!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM

We stayed at the Chandler hotel and never even took the T.Nice neighbourhood.PAul
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:58 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton at Newton. with a shuttle to downtown Boston every 10 min . or so.
Good breakfast as well.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...on06/tpod.html
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Cigalechanta - You're absolutely right about the location of the Ritz! I obviously haven't been there in a few years but loved it and its location. The last time I stayed in Boston was after a return flight from France -- stayed at the Swissotel which was nice but not in a particularly interesting area.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM

I lived on Newbury Street off(beacon Hill) and on forover 40 years. I once knew every nook and cranny, and would ice skate in the Garden. There was no rink back then on the Common.