Where to stay in Bend?

Search

Where to stay in Bend?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Bend?

Hi guys, I am going to be in Bend for around four days in early-October, and am looking for advice on what area to stay in while I'm there? I am considering either Old Mill or downtown. My plan for the time I'm there is to do as much outdoor activity as I can during the day and then unwind with some good food and beverages in the evening. Any recommendations of places to look at - hotels, motels, etc. I'll be traveling solo and don't need anything fancy.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_pakowski
Hi guys, I am going to be in Bend for around four days in early-October, and am looking for advice on what area to stay in while I'm there? I am considering either Old Mill or downtown. My plan for the time I'm there is to do as much outdoor activity as I can during the day and then unwind with some good food and beverages in the evening. Any recommendations of places to look at - hotels, motels, etc. I'll be traveling solo and don't need anything fancy.

Thanks,
Mike
Additionally - I would like to stay somewhere I can walk to as many activities as possible.
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 06:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Rental car or driving into the area with your own vehicle? There is a wide variety of outdoor activities in the Bend area. October may be late for doing any floating on the Deschutes River. The Old Mill does have some good lodging places right near the river. Check to see what show may be going on at the Hayden Homes amphiteater on any of the nights you would be there. For downtown Bend, check what is going on at the Tower Theater.
If you would like to hike or ride a bicycle, I would suggest a night or two at an apartment or condo in the Sunriver Resort about 10-15 miles SW of Bend. Sunriver has an aquatic center and two good golf courses and bicycle rentals. Also south of Bend plan on spending 2-3 hours at the High Desert Museum. In addition to the main museum building there are trails to other buildings including the popular otter viewing area and the raptor building. They also have a sawmill and a pioneer cabin.
Depending on where you are coming from or where you are going to after Bend, you might want to visit Crater Lake NP. The north entrance to Crater Lake is 90 miles from the south end of Bend (US97 S+OR138W).
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 11:19 AM

If I was solo in Bend I would stay in the Old Mill District. Lots of restaurants and people. You can also access the Deschutes River Trail from there. Its a trail that goes along both sides of the river and is a nice walk.
If I didn't stay in that area, I would stay at the Old St. Francis School. Walking distance to downtown but has a restaurant of its own, a soaking pool and a movie theatre. I think there is also a fire pit. This is an old Catholic School turned into hotel- fun place to stay