Search

Where to stay in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Atlanta

Hello All,

This is our first time in Atlanta and we like to know if the downtown is a safe area to book a hotel and stay closer to the main atractions.

Thanks in advance,

Amcho
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:44 AM

Hi,
I happen to live in the Atlanta suburbs and visit the downtown area quite frequently (plus I went to school at GSU - right down the street from Underground Atlanta) so I am sure I can help you out.

I am sorry to say, Atlanta tourist attractions are scattered all over the place and our transportation system is not great. I am NOT trying to scare you off! (I just want you to be aware)

Please tell me where you would like to go and what areas you are thinking of staying. If you would like, you could give me your email address and then we can talk in depth. (I am an amateur travel agent by hobby)

By the way, Atlanta is no more dangerous than any other big city - but like any other big city, some parts are better than others.

I look forward to helping you.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thank you so much for answer...

We want to the Atlanta History Center, CNN studios, and World of Coca-Cola. We'll be from friday afternoon until sunday noon.

We don't want to rent a car, so we are thinking to take MARTA and walk.

What do you think?

My email is [email protected], I really appreciate your help...

Amcho
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 10:54 AM

I'd suggest you stay in Buckhead. You can take the train from the airport there and it's a nicer place to be at night. Alternatively, Midtown would be a good bet. Both areas have plenty of hotels at various price points and restaurants...I wouldn't recommend staying downtown though...
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 02:26 PM

AMCHO,
All those places you want to go are very easty to get to on MARTA. CNN Center is connected to a MARTA train and World of Coke (YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!) is just a stone throw away from Underground Atlanta which is also connected to a train station (the biggest - lets you go in all directions)
You can also get to the history center quite easily by bus. It used to be bus #40, but now the buses have been rerouted. I will call for you and let you know what bus. I will post it here tomorrow (if that is ok)

Also, I agree Buckhead or Midtown is the place to stay. The truth is, locals who live in the suburbs (like me) lump this area in with "down-town" when we talk about Atlanta. It is still very close to your attractions and very MARTA accessible) It is a lot nicer than the literal down-town and you will find a lot of places to stay.

I will also look into some accomadation choices for you. (Just to help out - like I said, this is a hobby of mine)

The MARTA website is www.itsmarta.com
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Your best bet would be to stay in Buckhead near either the Buckhead or Lenox Marta Station. There are a number of hotels nearby including: Embassy Suites, Crown Plaza, JW Marriot, and Amerisuites. From any of these you could walk to the History Center in about 20-25 minutes and take the Marta rail to CNN and World of Coke. This location would put you near shopping at Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza and a number of restaurants.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Atlanta really is not a walking city. I do not recommend walking to the history center. I was just in that neighborhood last week - there are a few sidewalks, but trust me, you want to take a bus. (especially if you are not familiar with the area)- By the way, you will see a lot of gorgeous houses near the HC, as well as the Govenor's Mansion.

Sequess gave hotel recommendations. - I am still going to call MARTA to find out what bus goes to the History Center (it may still be the #40 - but I want to double check)
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:06 PM

I agree that staying downtown is not the best option, but I personally would prefer staying in Midtown over Buckhead. Good hotel choices would be the Four Seasons, Sheraton Colony Square, Marriott Suites, or the Wyndham. All of those are very close to the Arts Center or Midtown MARTA stops and have many restaurants nearby.

The Georgian Terrace is good, too, but it's a little further away from the heart of Midtown, near the North avenue MARTA station, and there aren't as many restaurant choices nearby, although there are 2-3 good restaurants on the same block.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advices.....

Definitivaly, we'll book a hotel in Buckhead or Midtown.

I also want to ask something... anyone knows which is the best (and faster) way to go from the airport to the Radisson Northlake in Tucker, on monday at 9am??
I have a training at 8:30am, but the airplane arrives at 8:35am....

Thank you so much!!!!