Reload this Page >

Where to stay for the super bowl ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 10:57 PM
T H

Trying to do decide where to stay for the Super Bowl. Can anyone help with a safe, convenient location? Thanks

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 03:40 AM
John

The NFL has secured nearly every hotel room in the city so availability is very tight. Many B&Bs have availability, however, as they are not part of the League's room block. Please remember that Super Bowl is VERY expensive so don't be sticker shocked when you see room rates!

Several directories can help you search for a B&B. The Professional Innkeepers Assoc. of NO (I am a member) site at www.bbnola.com is a good place to start as it lists 40+ licensed B&Bs. Also, www.marigny.net (inns near the Quarter), www.louisianatravel.com and www.bedandbreakfast.com are good resources.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 04:55 PM
T H

Thanks for your help. You're right. We are really having a hard time finding any available rooms for Superbowl weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks very much..T H

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 05:15 PM
anon

1) call around and ask hotels what their cancellation policy is for the Super Bowl. If it's, say 72 hours, call them at 70 hours and see if rooms have opened up. (Many hotels have nonrefundable rooms during SB, though).

2) look for rooms >5 miles away from the Superdome. Virtually everything within striking distance will be sold out.

I went to a Super Bowl once (drove from neighboring state) just to go to the game, not to stay overnight, and scalpers were asking $450 per ticket (bad seats) during the FOURTH QUARTER of the game (which was a blowout).
Super Bowls draw many of America's greatest rip off artists and price gougers. And local retailers and hoteliers usually want to try to cash in on their once a generation chance for quick cash.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Pete

Just saw where Turbotrip.com has rooms, very expensive. Reliable booking agency.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 10:30 PM
Charles

The most convenient, safe and comfortable place is home.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 10:17 AM
cheerleader

You might try for a room in Metairie(a suburb) or even Baton Rouge(about 45 minutes to the north).

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 11:52 AM
alex

While Metairie and Baton Rouge are alternatives, there are still rooms available in the French Quarter and New Orleans proper.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 11:53 AM
alex

Baton Rouge is only 45 minutes if you're driving over 100mph! It's 75-90 miles from any point in BR to the Superdome.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 02:13 AM
LJW

Last year I stayed at the La Salle Bed & Breakfast Hotel. It is about 10 blocks to the Superdome but at the time the least expensive hotel near it. The taxi ride was $5 but I walked it. It is ok but it was last minute so I had little choice. You have to request a room with a private bath which comes up to $65 a night.
You have TV, radio, iron on request, air condition, and tour desk. The free breakfast they serve is weak. It is just donuts and watered down juice. It is located 3 blocks from the French Quarter and fast food places, restaurants, shops, trolley is across the street. The hotel is sitting right on top of Popeyes. You will find many buses on all corners of the block the hotel is on.

I am a young single woman and I went by myself everywhere. Nobody bothered me. Do not let the other people scare you. My friends did the same to me and I had no troubles.