Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay between Anacortes and Winthrop on the Cascade Loop

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Based on responses to my prior postings on this forum, I am finalizing our trip to Washington this August. After leaving the San Juan Islands we want to do the Cascade loop. We intended to drive straight to Winthrop but have learned that it is a 41/2 hour drive from Anacortes (not including the ferry to Anacortes) and we are afraid this will be a very long day in the car. Can anyone recommend any place between Anacortes and Winthrop worth staying for a night? Looking at the map, we were thinking about Concrete. All advice appreciated.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM

There really isn't much between the two; I would just take it easy on the very scenic) drive and head all the way to at least Mazama (it's another 30 minutes or so from Mazama to Winthrop). I would say it's more like a 3 hour drive from Anacortes to Mazama without stops, however, not 4.5.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM

We did this same drive last year. I had considered stopping at one of the towns along the way but decided to do it all in one day and go right to Winthrop.

After driving I am glad I made that decision. There really isn't much in the way of towns along the way.

We did break up the trip by taking the Lake Diablo Dam tour which was a nice diversion.

KathyH
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM

I agree it'll take you closer to 3 hours. Since the road goes through the national park/national recreation area, the are no towns with lodging past Marblemount (which is too close to Anacortes to stop for the night). Also, the Methow Valley (Mazama/Winthrop/Twisp) is such a nice destination. Mazama is the first town and there is good lodging there (Freestone Inn, Mazama Country Inn).

Sounds like a great trip, the San Juans and the North Cascades are two of the prettiest places you'll find anywhere!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM

Hello:
I work for the Cascade Loop Scenic Highway and thought I could answer some of your questions. It is 152 miles between Anacortes and Winthrop. Having said that, you're going to go through some of the most incredible and stunning mountain vistas you can drive on this part of the Loop. It's both National Park and National Forest land between Newhalem and Mazama. You want to be able to thoroughly enjoy and explore this part of Hwy 20. Folks are correct, there are not a lot of places to stay in this region. However, there are seven different lodgings (cabins, resort, B&B, hotel, motel) in the area between Concrete and Marblemount that will get you close to the National Park and allow you the time to really enjoy this gem. If you go to www.cascadeloop.com and click on the North Cascades region you'll find the mentioned lodging for that area. It's a few too many places to try to give you all the contact information in this posting. If you'd like a free copy of our annual travel guide with information for the entire Loop drive in it you can order it on our website as well. Regardless, you'll have a fantastic trip...a drive this stunning can't help but leave you awestruck. Best,
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't stay between Concrete and Marblemount, especially coming from Anacortes. The Methow Valley is nicer, IMO.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM

I agree, get yourself all the way to the Methow. Stay in Mazama or Wintrop. Stop along the way for a picnic besides a stream, then keep on.