SFO/Grand Canyon tour - I'm at a loss with the itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a week trip for some of my family. It's a group of all adults along with our friend from France who has never traveled to the south/west of USA. Our friend from France would like to see Golden Gate bridge, Grand Canyon, and some of California. He is somewhat limited in physical activity, so he cannot hike or walk long distances. Our travel dates are June 25 - July 2. I'm thinking of flying into SFO (from IND) and flying out of Flagstaff, Arizona. Really, I'm struggling with the itinerary and the route. They will have a car, obviously, and will want to maximize the time and not drive/hop around too much. My first thoughts were SFO - Yosemite - Grand Canyon. Then I was thinking SFO - down coast? - Grand Canyon. My Dad would like to do the Grand Canyon Railway Express into the National Park which looks great, but now I'm really scratching my head at how to fit this all together. They would just stay one night in the Grand Canyon. Could someone help me???

THANKS!!! Jessica
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM

If you do not already have reservations in Grand Canyon you should make them asap. Check on www.nps.gov and click on grand canyon.If they are all full take the phone number and keep calling as people do make them a year ahead and then find they can't make the trip when the time comes. SFO is really quite far from Grand Canyon so flying to Flagstaff makes sense and if someone really wants to take the train from Williams into GC, I suppose you could get a car there and drop them at the station and then those who want to drive could do that. Are the people with the car thinking of driving to GC or dropping the car off and flying. Do check the costs because drop off at a different place could add very much to the cost. The California coast and also interior will be busy that time of year. Best wishes for a great trip.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM

SF to GC is a v-e-r-r-y long drive. If you do not already have reservations at Yosemite, you will not be able to stay in the park.

I suggest you do stuff around SF, including a drive to Yosemite, then back to SF. Then fly SF- Las Vegas (Southwest Airlines), rent a car there and then drive to Grand Canyon, returning to fly back out of Las Vegas. You will find many more flights back from Vegas than from Flagstaff.

Also, as soon as you can, make reservations at Grand Canyon. One night or two is fine.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think don't think you have time to do all of this. Do SF, Yosemite, coast to Monterey/Carmel. Or do the Southwest/Grand Canyon. Not both.

The Grand Canyon Railway is not usually recommended here on Fodor's forums. Waste of time & money.

MY
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM

If you really want to see the Grand Canyon, just do it. But rather than going form Las Vegas, I suggest flying to Phoenix. It is a shorter drive (it is about 3 1/2 hours vs over 5 hours from Las Vegas. Also much more scenic. Do not fly into Flagstaff. You would have to connect in Phoenix, and it would still be 1 1/2 hours to the Grand Canyon. The connection times, even if there are no delays, would wipe out any potential time savings from flying into Flag.

Don't bother with the Grand Canyon Railroad trip. You don't see the canyon from the train, and it takes 2 1/2 hours each way, not to mention having to be at the train in advance. Just drive up, and make sure you get advance reservations.

This is the best link to find out if there is any lodging available:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

Try to get a room at one of the lodges on the rim: El Tovar, Kachina, Thunderbird, or Bright Angel. The other two -- Maswick and Yavapai -- are away from the rim. But, even though they are away from the rim, they ARE inside the park, which is preferrable to getting a room in Tusayan. If nothing is showing as available at one of the rim lodges, don't give up. Keep checking the website AND call. There are always cancellations.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks, I'm really trying to figure-out how to consolidate the travel time. flying from SF to Vegas makes sense...but the adults who are going do not like Vegas at all. So, I can't figure out how to integrate Vegas into it all without spending time there? I have to keep writing out itineraries to see how it will work. I mean, there is sooo many beautiful things to see in the USA, I'm sure our French friend will be happy with whatever we choose? right? I have to think this all over, your input is invaluable! I sincerely appreciate any help!!! Jessica
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Look for an early flight to Vegas and take off for the Grand Canyon from the airport. It is about 5 hours drive if traffic is not too bad so you should be there for sunset. If you get in later, Hoover Dam is on the way, so stop there then continue on and stay at a hotel/motel along the way.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Be aware that it will most likely be extremely hot on the way to the Grand Canyon at that time of year (although it's a dry heat, 110 degrees Fahrenheit/ 43 degrees Celsius would not be uncommon. Plan on bringing water.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM

From what I can see, non-stop flights from SFO to PHX are only about $10 more than into LAS. And non-stops from PHX to IND are only about $20 more than from LAS. I mean, why fly into a place no one is interest in seeing, and which is an additional 1 1/2 hours away from your real destination? Round trip, that is 3 hours less to spend enjoying the Grand Canyon.

www.travelerstogo.com
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM

OK, if no one likes Vegas, then fly into Phoenix and drive to GC.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM

I agree with Mike & Marg - fly to Phoenix, drive to GC via Sedona.

MY
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

this is awesome feedback....I am breathing a huge sigh of relief! Now I'm going to write-up the itinerary....next on my list is hotel in SF.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Here's my tentative itinerary??????

June 26, Friday – 6:45 am flight to SFO – day in San Fran, Alcatraz tour????

Sat – SF – San Fran sights

Sun – SF – daytrip to wine country?!?!? Or Yosemite?????

Mon – SF – daytrip down the coast!!!!!

Tue – first thing am fly into Phoenix and drive to Grand Canyon (get to Grand Canyon in afternoon)

Wed – Grand Canyon all day, drive to Sedona (overnight in Sedona, this is a 2 hour drive???)

July 2, Thurs – drive to Phoenix and fly home

I need help getting the GC/Phoenix area planned. I can tack on an extra day (leaving Thursday afternoon for SFO, getting to SFO in the evening from IND) at the beginning of the itinerary and shift everything up for more time??? Don't know if that is worth it?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Yosemite cannot really be done as a daytrip from SF. Either choose Yosemite for overnight or down the coast to Monterey/Carmel. You could include winetasting in either Yosemite or the coast, without having to go up to Napa/Sonoma. There is wine tasting all over California. On the way to Yosemite, you could catch some of the foothill wineries or wineries in Monterey county. This would save you some time.

Sedona is about 2 hours from Phoenix and 2 hours from GC, so about your half way point.

MY
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Your plan sounds ok but if you can add an extra day to spend in GC/Sedona part of the trip it would be well worth the time. There is lots to see there, consider stopping at Montezuma's Castle on the way from Sedona to Phoenix.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:44 AM

For the Phoenix, GC part of the trip, here are my thoughts:

Drive from PHX to the GC, going through the east entrance, rather than the south entrance. Maybe stop at the Cameron Trading Post for lunch (medium Navajo taco). Going in the east entrance, you first view (and I think the most awesome first view) will be at Desert View. From there, drive to GC Village, stopping at several of the viewpoints along the east rim drive. Here is a link to several maps:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/maps.htm

When you get to the Village, check into your room, then take a leisurely walk along the rim trail, heading east. You will dfinitely want to view the canyon at sunset -- actually, you want to be out -- anywhere -- well before sunset.

The following morning, get up for sunrise over the canyon. You might want to hike at least part way into the canyon, if you are hikers. But, it will take at least twice as long to hike back up as it takes to hike down. After breakfast, you can use the free shuttles to take you to all of the viewpoints west of GC Village. If you want to do a lot of hiking, spend an extra night at the GC. Otherwise, head to Sedona by mid afternoon.

You will drive through beautiful Oak Creek Canyon heading into Sedona. While in Sedona, do take a Pink Jeep Tour (the Broken Arrow tour is the most popular:

http://www.pinkjeeptours.com/jeep-tours/sedona/

Also definitely see the Chapel of the Holy Cross, visit Red Rock Crossing,take a short hike to Bell Rock or a longer one around Bell Rock & Courthouse Butte. You may also want to take about half a day to visit Jerome.

Dinners at the Cowboy Club (Silver Saddle Room for quieter dinner without kids) for steaks/southwesern and Dahl & DiLuca (great Italian food).

Do you have your Sedona Lodging yet? If you are looking for something reasonable, not very fancy, I highly recommend Sky Ranch Lodge:

http://www.skyranchlodge.com/

There are great views of West Sedona from the grounds -- wonderful for sunrise viewing. They don't have a restaurant on premises, but it is only a few minutes walk up to the airport cafe.

Don't forget to start working on you Grand Canyon lodging reservations ASAP

www.travelerstogo.com
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Day trip to Yosemite plus day trip down the coast really doesn't make that much sense. The drive to YNP and back will really take the whole day w/ very little time in the park - then you'd turn around and spend the whole next day in the car again.

If it was me - I'd pick one day trip. Either the Sonoma wine region or down the coast -- I personally would go down the coast but either would be fine.

Then fly to Phoenix -- understanding it will be VERY hot.

W/ July 4 being on the Saturday - that week will be crowded just about everywhere, but especially so at the GC and Sedona. So book your rooms ASAP.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

thank you all so much. I love this board!!!

I booked the flights, GC hotel (Yavapai was the only one with vacancy, but I will call/check periodically), San Fran hotel (Argonaut), Alcatraz tickets. I'm bummed their trip to GC will be brief, but they are somewhat constrained on time due to back-to-back trip after they get home. But, I think it all will work out great. And, I'm going on the San Fran portion of the trip now which is a huge bonus for me!

I appreicate it all and will take any further recommendations regarding day trips/San Fran/GC. I've traveled to both GC and Monterey/Carmel, but only spent brief (very brief) time in San Fran.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM

The only drawback I can think of when flying into Phoenix instead of Vegas is that rental cars at the Phoenix airport are like triple what they are everywhere else.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM

And driving out of Phoenix will make you insane. Hope you can avoid rush hour traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -