where to start USA adventure?

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to start USA adventure?

What we know.
Two fit ,well sort of! adventurers aim at end of May 2012 to helicopter the grand cannon. Hike and stay round Zion.4 nights
Drive up thru Yosemite , stay 2 nights.
5 nights in San Fran with family.
We have 3 weeks and are debating states south /west of las vegas?
We could fly or drive, but as this is the first trip for Brian and he seems keen on southern states and I have never been to these areas , we need some of the wonderful help from Fodors travellers.
I hope this explains enough.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM

Have you actually plotted driving times (including breaks/meals)?

You'll have already seen similar terrain west of Las Vegas.

I would go south: perhaps by way of Sedona, Phoenix, and finally Tuscon (and the stops between). That pretty much uses up the rest of your extra days.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM

After San Francisco, I would drive down the California Coast, stopping along the way to take in the beauty of the Pacific... once you hit LA, you could head to San Diego, or east towards Las vegas and the desert... that would fill your schedule and give you both nature and touristy options... have fun planning....
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you did not want to drive from LA to LV, consider flying on Allegiant Airline from Long Beach to Las Vegas. http://www.allegiantair.com/

Allegiant puts together great packages of hotels, shows/tours and rental cars along with their cheap airfare. Allegiant flies between LGB and LAS every day except Tuesday.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM

The helicopter tours don't go over the best part of the canyon, where the Grand Canyon National Park is.

If you really want to see the canyon, drive and stay at Grand Canyon National Park overnight. It's a 4 hour drive from Las Vegas.

It's iffy if you would be able to "drive through" Yosemite in May. It depends on if Tioga Pass has opened for the season. This year it opened late June. You should have an alternative route planned.

I would chose a drive down the California coast over a trip to Phoenix and Tucson.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Another vote for the California coast. There's so much to see and do along the way.

We just returned from a brief trip to San Diego (my 3rd visit to California) and I would have loved to have spent another week or more driving up the coast.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM

What ever you decide to do, keep in mind that May 26 - 28th is the Memorial Day Weekend in 2012 and the National Parks will be very, very crowded!!!! You might want to arrange your trip so you do them after the holiday weekend.

Utahtea
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, it looks like some more research. i will look at all these suggestions. i hadnt factored in driving times as i was unsure.
Also we aimed to be in Yosemite round the 24th and 25th May so that should miss Memorial Day.?
Thanks for hint on helicopter. So many people on reading Fodor seem to prefer Zion and Bryce so i thought a quick look at GC and then on to these.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 04:27 AM

aussie, Are you planning to fly into and out of SFO and are the 5 nights there with family at the beginning or end of your trip? I ask because the direction of your route could be either SF before you head to Yosemite or Yosemite at the end of your trip and the likelihood of being able to see more of the park and/or driving through it increase later in the season.

Unless you plan to hike a lot, IMO, 4 days in Zion is one or two too many for a trip where you want to see lots and DH wants to go south.

If you could fly into say Phoenix, then go up through Sedona for a day or two of hiking, then to Grand Canyon south rim for a night, then over to Page (for horseshoe bend and Antelope canyon) then on to Bryce for a night, then Zion for 2 or 3 days, then if the pass to Yosemite is open, go there then on to San Francisco for family time then on to home.

This would involve drop off costs for the car and lots of driving but would give you the bit of the south for DH and an opportunity to see the areas you want.

You might also investigate flying in and out of SFO, visiting Yosemite and flying from there to Vegas (cheap flights and car rental) doing a loop of Zion, Bryce, GC etc. then flying back to SFO. The Yosemite part could be at the beginning or end of your trip.

IMO if this is your first visit to Grand Canyon, visit the south rim.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM

There are 5 or 6 different areas that the Helicopter service. There are Helicopter Tours at "the main area" of South Rim area.
There are also tours out of Page that do The North Rim. The Helicopter tours from Vegas do the West Rim-this area isn't considered the best or main part by most people. You can go to the bottom at Havasu parking lot. You can also get to the bottom of the Grand Canyon via helicopter on the west rim boat tour and from Phantom Ranch.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fodors , trying out a few suggestions .