Help with my itineray!

Jun 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Help with my itineray!

Iím from Madrid and itís my first visit to California. I will arrive in Los Ángeles the 12 of August.

We are going to rent a car and we want to spend 3 nights in Los Ángeles and after going to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon (by car).

We hav a flight from San Francisco to New York the 25 of August and we want to stay in San Francisco at least two nights before going to New York.

Do we have enough time to go to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon?

We donít know how much time does it take to travel from Los Ángeles to the Grand Canyon, after to Las Vegas and then to San Francisco.

Please, could you help me? (we want to drive, we donít want to fly between the places)

Thanks
Jun 29th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Mapquest is pretty accurate with driving times. It takes about 4 to 5 hours to drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. It takes at least 5 hours to drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, South Rim.

How much time you wish to spend in the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas is up to you. If you do not gamble or seek a lot of nightlife, you might wish to shorten Las Vegas. However, if you crave the nightlife, Grand Canyon might bore you. Personally, I prefer GC to Vegas. But, it is worth seeing Vegas lit up at night at least once.
Jun 29th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Trust me - you don't want to drive from the Grand canyon to San Francisco on such a short trip. I personally would not go to Las vegas in August but if that is in your plans, it is perfectly doable.

If it were me, I'd drive from LA to the Grand Canyon, then go to Las Vegas. Then drop off the car and fly to San Francisco or Oakland. (or you could drive LA > LV > Grand Canyon and then fly from either Phoenix or Las Vegas but that is less effecient use of your time)

You won't need a car in SF and Grand Canyon to SF is a looooooong, hot, boring drive
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Darrel1980 : check out flight deals. I observed few deals at $59-69 one way in that region. Got mine from SF to BUF for $99 in OCt.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Why not stay near the airport at LAX when you arrive for 1 night. Then the next day, after some sleep, drive to the Grand Canyon, spend 2 nights, then drive to Vegas, spend a couple of nights, then come back to Los Angeles, and stay here a few nights. The drive between LA and San Francisco is nicer ... go up the coast, do it over 2 days, and then spend your last few nights in SF.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I agree...driving from the Grand Canyon to San Francisco would be too much for me on such a short trip. Can you fly into Vegas instead of LA? Then you could see Vegas, Grand Canyon and then work your way over to LA and then San Francisco for your return flight to Madrid.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:57 AM

ASLuis' suggestion is good - but I assume you already have your flights booked into LA and out of SF - right?

If you insist on driving the whole way - then DeniceRG's idea makes sense.