Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to spend winter in Florida for 1000.00 per month?

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at retiring by 1/1/08 and want to spend Jan,Feb,March in warmth. Do you know of a place in Florida to start my search. Of course we would love to see the water but understand with our limited budget probally have to be a few miles from the ocean or gulf. All suggestions appreciated.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM

That's going to be tough budget for high season in south Florida, the only area you can count on much warmth in those months.

Look at www.vrbo.com
It will be quite a search as most will start at about $700 a week. But there are some that are only rented by the month and sometimes for a three month minimum -- which is good for you -- as that will bring the prices down.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM

I hate to be discouraging here but you would have a hard time finding a place in North Florida for $1,000 a month even in the winter (and it's not warm there!). My mother leases her condo to snowbirds for those three months and charges a lot more than $1,000. Her condo is in the Panhandle. Sorry...but good luck and happy retirement!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM

For $1000 for the month I think you would need to be camping.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:45 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick, Austin and nytraveler

I realize it will be difficult to find a decent place for this price but I know I can do it. I know this because I'm not linked to any particular area and even if it's in the panhandle, those 3 months are still warmer on the average then Ohio and we would be closer to southern Florida or the Keys for a week or so break. Also, I don't mind working hours on the computer looking, It's fun work. I have been on here a lot of hours already and have found one little two bedroom two bath cottage (VRBO) in Maderia Beach for 1200.00 for 3 months. It looks very clean and nicely furnished with a fairly new kitchen S0..I'm not discouraged.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM

cd,

Is the $1000.00 meant to cover all your living expenses or just your rent? If just the rent, you can do it here in the Panhandle and not be all that far from the water if you don't need a huge, fancy place. I know because we lived for a year in a 1 bedroom apartment about 15 minutes from the beach while our home was undergoing Ivan repairs and it was less than $1000.00 per month. That price included water, gas, and garbage service. We had to pay for electric, phone, and cable.

Happy hunting. I wouldn't be surprised if you find something a little farther south, therefore warmer, as well.

Fran
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Fran
The $1000.00 would be exactly what you had. A one bedroom would be fine but of course I would take two if available. Heck, we would even take a nicely appointed studio. I know I will find it, it may just take a while.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Floridafran, but am I misunderstanding your post? cd wants to rent just for three months -- Jan through March -- the three biggies. Did you pay $1000 a month renting for a year? That's much different.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM

cd, you have a great attitude and I'm sure you'll find something perfect. I think we all (at least I did) assumed that you are wanting something directly on the beach. But it sounds like you are flexible so I'm sure you'll find something.

Again, happy retirement!!

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM

cd- have you tried apartmentguide.com?

I used this site to search for temporary housing after a corporate move. I was able to find a furnished apartment to live in until my house was ready to move in to.

Good luck!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Neopatrick,

They are the 3 big months in the southern part of the state, but not so here in the Panhandle. As you stated earlier, we're not as warm in the winter, compared to south Florida, but compared to the upper Midwest, we are. We get snowbirds, here, some who come every year and are willing to accept the cooler temps for the lower price.

It isn't uncommon, out here on the Island, for the price of a rental to go from being X number of dollars per month to that same amount per week once Spring begins. Our high season is from maybe mid-March (but that depends on when Spring break falls) to early September. In the off-season property owners are often delighted to get someone who only wants to rent "long term" for 3 months. That frees up the place for those high dollar weekly rentals during the summer.

And while I lived in that apartment for over a year, it was on a month to month lease because at the time my husband and I had no idea it would take us anywhere near that long to get our house livable again. The price might have been lower if we'd signed a long-term lease, but maybe not. May landlords here like month to month leases as it makes it easier to "boot" an undesirable tenant.

I just glanced quickly through our Homefinder section from today's paper and found a few furnished rentals from apartments to a small cottage. The cottage is in the wonderful bedroom community just across the bridge from the beach and is $975/mo. Don't know if that includes utilities as it was a tiny "by-owner" ad.

cd, don't give up your dream. You have plenty of time to research this and I hope you can find exactly what you're looking for.

Fran
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:00 AM
cd
Original Poster

Austin
I, of course, would love something on the beach but admit that in all probability that will not happen.

Freeman
Thanks for the link. I've spent some time on it and it looks like I can get a furnished apartment in Sarasota or St Petersburg for a 3 month lease for around 1000.00

Fran
I will continue to look and gather information but DH told me yesterday he's not real sure he's ready to "hang it up" I have to admit for some of us our careers define who we are.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM
cd
Original Poster

Just wanted to get back to this old post to undate. Although DH was not ready to hang it up, he got hung up on this past year so we are now retired (except for some part-time work) and will be spending Jan & Feb in Florida. We rented a VRBO in Cape San Blas, (north Florida) for 1500.00 per month directly on the beach, water views from every room, newly decorated and wireless for our laptop. 3 bedrooms (each of our children will visit for a week) and woodburning fireplace. The cost includes utilities and taxes. The average temps are 50's - 60's so that makes it nice for golf and bike riding (there's an 8 mile trail) We are just hoping for sunny days.

Looking forward to winter away but nervous about leaving my house for so long.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 06:56 AM

As the economy has had such a serious downturn, I think you may be able to find something a lot better/nicer than you normally would. I also think there are a lot of homes/condos for sale sitting on the market empty and some of the sellers might quite like a bit of income. Assume all prices are negotiable. If you're thinking of a permanent move to Fla. in the future, contact the largest real estate offices in the area you want and ask them to find you a rental so you can get a feel for the area. If a broker thinks there's a potential future sale, he might work to find you something.

The Villages is a HUGE adult community in the center of the state that might have what you're looking for.

You might also consider not staying in 1 place but maybe trying 2 or 3. If you get a bargain for 1 month maybe you can splurge for 1.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM

cd- just a thought. If it's just the warmer temps and near the water, you might also consider looking in southern Texas. Costs will probably be cheaper than Florida. Corpus Christi, South Padre. I did a quick search on www.vrbo.com and saw several places in Rockport, starting at 850/month.

And if you're truly adventurous- I'm betting you can find a place in Mexico for even cheaper. FYI.

Good luck!
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM
cd
Original Poster

Mclaurie
Not interested in anything permanent, just a place for a few months that's warmer than Ohio and no ice and snow. We are familiar with The Villages, but like the gulf coast.

Sarge
Our son lives in Houston so we are a little familiar with the area. Actually the temps are about the same as where we will be in Florida, really not any warmer and it's a longer drive, but maybe next year....
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM

cd, glad that you found what you were looking for.

I was going to suggest checking out craigslist.com

I know for certain that you can find what you are describing for the price...I'm living in what you described.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Check Century Village in Pembroke Pines. It is a huge 55 and up community with golf course, pools etc., about half hour from the ocean. They often have one bedroom rental condos at that price with a seasonal 3 month minimum rental. There are also some motels on the beach in Hollywood, Fl such as the Silver Sands where you may find a room with kitchenette at that price.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Sam.

We have already secured this years rental Basingstroke but thanks for replying.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM

madiera beach is wonderful! I think if you come to Pinellas county you won't be disappointed! I have lived here my whole life! Madiera is very nice, one of my friends always vacations there!

There is plenty to do within 30 mins that you'll be busy the whole time! Even if you never leave the beach there is plenty to do!

Any particular questions about the area, shoot me an email [email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -