Search

Where to rent New England house

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
cm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to rent New England house

Family looking for something in May. Would like a/some cute/charming towns near by. But not a big city. What would you suggest for the NH Lake area? What about other New England towns? Thanks so much! (PS--am looking for older home. Don't know if that makes a difference.)
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM

What are you looking to do?

Hiking?

Boating? Do you need to be ON a lake? Rent a boat?

Fishing?

Antiquing?

Seeing historic stuff?

How many of you are there/how big a house do you need? Any special requirements?

More info would makei t a lot easier to give advice.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
cm
Original Poster

Oh, yes, thanks. Looking at antiques, historical things, cute shops. And hanging out at the house with kids ages 1-7. No boating.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
cm
Original Poster

I'll add hiking, too. Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:51 AM

New England in May is problematic.

Inland (lakes and mountains) you may run into black fly season, and the lakes are likely to be way too cold to swim. On the ocean, you will certainly have fog and may have very cool days, and you certainly won't go swimming. On the other hand, you may hit weather in the 90's for a few days.

Many tourist sites do not open until Memorial Day weekend, and schools don't get out here until mid-late June, so a lot of family type sites are not in full swing.

I kind of like the idea of the Maine coast for you, somewhere that allows you to visit a small city like Portland or go shopping at LL Bean on a rainy day and yet take an excursion to the White Mountains if the weather is beautiful. There is snow on the mountains (and hike-up skiing in Tuckermans Ravine) until June most years.

Brunswick suggests itself as a base, a college town with easy access to a picturesque part of the Maine coast and all the places mentioned above. Prices for lodging should be reasonable at this time of year, but you are likely to have to stay in a hotel. You might get a rental on Bailey's Island or Orrs Island or in South Harpswell, all very picturesque.

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Sandwich on Cape Cod
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:06 AM

http://www.wolfeboronh.us/

Can't go wrong here.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Wolfeboro is a good suggestion, or nearby Alton Bay.

However, I agree that May, even late May, can be problematic. Plan on plenty of indoor-backup-activities just in case. Or stick to Cape Cod which should be warmer and not quite the gamble.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:17 AM

In May, I'd look to southern New England. It'll be warmer in May down here than in NH or Maine.

Cape Cod is a great place to look -- in May it is still the "off season" so the cost of vacation rentals won't be too bad. And there is plenty to do. The towns have many, many antique shops, there are some museums scattered around (look at Sandwich especially), walking trails, etc.

You might also look at Newport, RI (pricey); Mystic, CT (lovely seaport town, museums, boats, restaurants, antiques); Gloucester, MA (another seaport town, more working class than Mystic and more affordable perhaps).
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM
cm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. Esp. the weather info. We are coming from CA and TX, so didn't think of that. I will look up the towns you mentioned! Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM

The North Shore in MA would be perfect. You could stay in Rockport and also visit Ipswich, Gloucester, Marblehead, Salem, Newburyport and Portsmouth NH.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Except for it being May, I would vote for Wolfeboro, too. It's a very cute town and on the north side of Lake Winnipesaukee so it's only a short drive to the mountains. You have Story Land in Glen NH which is great for ages 1-7 but might be open only weekends in May. Outlet shopping in North Conway. There's the Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness. If you wanted to be more in the country, Squam Lakes which are nearby would be even nicer (where On Golden Pond was filmed) but not as close to restaurants and shopping. Black fly season may deter you from hiking. There's a lot of attractions in the White Mountains like The Flume. You will not have a problem with black flies on the water or in downtown area, just in the woods. On the south and eastern side of Lake W is funky Weirs Beach and indoor fun center. You will find a variety of homes/cottages for rent, everything from modern/new to "camps" that have been in the family for a couple of generations. Some of the summer things do really get going until late June or July 1 (summer theater) although the area has lots of full time residents. From Wolfeboro, Portland ME is probably only 1 1/2 hours and ditto for Portsmouth NH, both outstanding coastal small cities but maybe more for kids to do in Portsmouth (great Children's museum, Strawbery Banke historical area).
For weather, however, the Cape might be a better choice in May.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Cassandra

You could also look at Lake Sunapee (New London, Sunapee, Newport, etc.). Much smaller than Winnepesaukee so more affordable.

You might also look in the Berkshires -- Lenox, Pittsfield -- there are several smaller lakes there and the towns are unbelievably picturesque.

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM

I would book something in Great Barrington, Stockbridge or Lenox in the Berkshires too. I agree with Cassandra, extremely charming villages and homes.
We liked driving to the Norman Rockwell Museum and to Williamstown to the Clark Museum..Antique shopping along the Hudson or in the towns in Ma.
I am making myself homesick lol
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Here is another vote for Rockport, on Cape Ann, MA. I lived in Gloucester for 18 months and Rockport was my favourite spot to relax...
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I agree with Scarlett that the Berkshires are a very good choice. There is the Shaker Village between New Lebanon and Pittsfield, Stockbridge, lots of charming towns on the NY side such as Chatham and Hudson. It is also an easy drive for day tripping into Vermont. Lots of history in that area and lots of antiques. We lived there for a bit and May was a good month. Days often were sunny but tended to sweater weather. There may a bit of snow left on the ground here and there.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Another vote for someplace in the Berkshires. Stockbridge, Lenox area. Look for something going on at Tanglewood. May be too early though for the Boston Symp. Orchestra.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Chatham, MA on Cape Cod is lovely. Here's a link to a house that my husband and I rent out. You have to go through the realtor that is listed, however, if you decide you'd like to rent it.

http://www.cyberrentals.com/index.cf...rty/164161.cfm

Good luck with finding a great place!!
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Yes,tchoiniere, it is too early for Tanglewood .. too bad, it is always great to be able to go to a concert .

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
kealalani

If it's possible, you might consider postponing until September. Rates drop, crowds go back to school and sssshhhhhhh don't tell anyone, but the weather can be the best of the year.

I have rented homes in early June on the Vineyard and Nantucket. I like coastal weather, but given the choice, I would always consider September for similar bargains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -