Where to relocate?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 09:24 PM
Katherine

Where to relocate?

I'm in a transition period (recently was laid off) and am trying to figure out a place to relocate in the US. I'm single, college-educated and in my mid 30's. Any suggestions on where I should call home? I'm a native Southern California girl, but have found that I don't always fit in with the superficial lifestyle. I love to travel, but it's hard to get the true feel for a city on a weekend visit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And no...I'm not a journalist researching an articel...just a bewildered job seeker.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:59 PM
James

Katherine:

You never said what you did or what field you work in...are you a dot com or tech worker? As a CA native too do you want to narrow the field with some criteria, e.g. anywhere the ground is frozen at any time of the year is off the list?

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:32 AM
Annie

Well, we're plenty superficial out here on the west coast.

I live outside Washington, D.C., and I love it, but I know it's not for everyone. It's a great job market here, the city is beautiful, and we're far enough south that the winters aren't all that long (well, compared to where I come from), and there are alot of intelligent, interesting, fun people here. That said, the traffic's horrific and the place is filled with self-important people running around in their SUVs, insisting that their children could never do anything wrong. We're also a long way from the nearest beach--about 3 hours minimum from any ocean beach.

Closer to your side of the country, I've heard great things about Portland. Aside from the rain, I'd be tempted to move there myself.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:31 AM
nasty

How about to a RELOCATION board!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 10:30 AM
Katherine

Sorry for leaving out the field. I've been working in the finance and real estate field, but am not opposed to making some changes there as well. With an impending recession, it might be time to leave the finance sector.

I have given some thought to Portland. I love visiting up there, but still trying to decide if I can deal with the constant rain.

Anyone have any thoughts on Austin? It's a city I've never been to yet, but heard some good things about.

As I mentioned, I love to travel and am finding So. Cal to be a little superficial for my taste. But it hard to beat our weather. I wouldn't mind giving up the hot, smoggy summers though. Thanks for any advice!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:14 PM
Don

Katherine, if hot summers aren't your cup of tea, then Austin's not for you. Lots of days in the 90s and some 100s during the summer, and it's not lacking in humidity. Spring and fall aren't cool there, either.

Other than the heat and the increasingly bad traffic, though, Austin's got a lot going for it. It's got a rugged beauty, lots of things to do (live music, lakes, University of Texas-related stuff, decent cultural offerings), and a pretty strong economy. And San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country are pretty close by.

Hope you find what you're looking for, wherever you end up.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:59 PM
BJ

Well you're not going to find any job here. Maybe you can find a job somewhere where you don't have internet and we don't have to put up with relo crap.

Try 1-800-THIS-IS-NOT-A-FREAKING-RELO-FORUM.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:58 PM
Kelly

Why do people have to be so rude on this site? If you don't want to answer questions about relocating, that's fine, but it's not a problem for the rest of us who are willing to give advice. Katherine was very clear in her heading that she had a relocation question, so just move past it.

Katherine -
Austin is a nice community, but it is a college town and therefore comes with some of the problems associated with that type of city. Also the traffic has become increasingly worse over the past few years.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:27 PM
ldsant

I TOTALLY agree with Kelley - thanks, I've been wanting to say the same thing for the last few months! What is it with the rudeness? Just DON'T read the posting - it states what it's about in the title! Jeez. . .this is SUPPOSED to be a community and assist people with their legitimate questions. What does it take to be civil? It costs you nothing. . .

OK, now that I'm off my soapbox ;-). . .

I live in SEA. Portland is a lot alike. There is a lot of rain, but it's no the rain that gets to people, it's the grayness. We have been very lucky this winter in that we've had a lot of sunshine. However, two years ago I ran into some people in LA who had moved here and lasted 8 months - they couldn't take the no sun days which, quite frankly, are many. I've lived here for 11 years and it doesn't bug me, but it depends. July and August are absolutely spectacular in the Pacific NW though. Austin is a very fun city (lived there for a bit), but it is really hot and humid during the summer! Good luck in your decision.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Tim

I've heard good things about Denver. Though it might be getting overrun with other Southern Californians trying to flee to a nicer place.