Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to make stops when driving down from Boston to WDW?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (2 adults & 2 kids (10,11) will be driving down from Boston to WDW. Would look for some advice on where to make pit stops along the way. This is our 2nd trip to US. First trip spend in Montana, Idaho and Washington area 2 years ago.

Will be spending 2 weeks, one in WDW another week driving up and down. We don’t want to include New York in the plan as we will be spending few days there before flying from there to Singapore.

Any ideas to consider.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:58 AM

How far do you want to drive between stops, and do you want to spend an extra day at one stop? We drove from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia to Key West in January and stopped twice, as 8 hours is about my limit due to back issues. That will make a big difference in your plans.
Washington DC would be an obvious possibility at about 8 hours. Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA would be other possiblilities for stops. Neither is a halfway point. Jamestown, VA is having a big celebration this year and is close to Williamsburg, VA, which might be another spot.
I would suggest using the Mapquest planner which allows you to build a multi-stop itinerary - it was very helpful for us in our trip planning.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Boston to Savannah is way to far, in my opinion, to do in one day, especially with kids. (We make this driving trip 2-3 times/year). And to Orlando that is not the best route anyway (check Mapquest or Yahoo maps)

Regardless of which route you take the northern mileage third of the trip will take longer than the middle third - and even the final third.

Be a little cautious of times quoted in mapping programs for that portion of the trip. Somehow, it always takes us at least 10 hours to go from Boston to Washington/Virginia area - the amount of traffic, especially truck traffic, in that part of the country always seems to create some traffic tie-up.

Depends on whether or not you just want to stop and sleep or stop and see something. There are all sorts of historic and scenic locations thruout much of the State of Virginia - so I might do a little research and see what interests you there and perhaps spend an additional night there doing some sightseeing. Of course, there is also the option of spending a couple of days in Washington, DC and shortening your WDW time by a day. Depends on what you are interested in.

I would plan on about 2 1/2 days driving time with kids - so you can decide how you want to use the half day - either arriving earlier in day in Orlando or using it for some touring around.

The second third of the trip - from Virginia to Florida border - goes really fast. While roadways are generally not as wide, traffic moves along at a faster pace and we have encountered fewer unexpected jams. While that part of the country is far from deserted, there are far fewer opportunities to stop for food and gas - so plan accordingly.

Since it sounds like you are renting a car, it might be worth the extra expense to get a car with optional navigation system - that would allow you to do a little exploring and then get back on a direct highway route.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to start on 31st May and reach WDW at noon on the 2nd June. Accomodation fixed at WDW. Checkout on the 9th Jun and head back to Boston to reach 12th evening.

The car is from a family friend. I was looking at mapquest to do planning. We dont mind staying an extra day in a place if it warrants. We dont really plan to see everything on the way (we on holiday!!!) just see what we can see.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I don't like the way mapquest takes you thru metro NY/NJ - there have been multiple disucssions here on that route.

I prefer to follow those directions to Mass Turnpike, to Sturbridge exit (Rte 84) thru Conn. This is where I differ. I do not take Rte 91 and over GWashington Bridge.

Instead, I cross Hudson River further north - that means take Rte 84 to Rte 684/287 (follow signs to White Plains and then Tappan Zee Bridge). Then follow signs to Garden State Parkway and catching up with NJ Turnpike in central NJ.

Either way, when we make the trip we prefer to get south of Washington, DC on the first day - stopping between Washington and Richmond, VA. Our usual hotel is in Fredericksburg, VA - where there are a number of chain hotels right off the interstate. We have stayed many times at the Comfort Inn in Fredericksburg - there is nothing really special about this hotel except that it is convenient, clean, efficient and moderately priced. Also includes a fairly decent buffet breakfast in AM.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

any othe ideas?
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:58 AM

Well, Kvictor since you asked...yes, there are more adventurous/scenic routes and here is one:

Take the Garden State Parkway all the way to Cape May; the ferry to Lewes; then Rtes 113/13 all the way to Cape Charles for the Bay Bridge Tunnel then make your way over to I-95 south from there.

It takes more time than following I-95 all the way so you may have to push it to make it in your 2.5 days.

Just a thought...
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM

I too have made this trip many times.

Gail's route around NYC is MUCH better than the George Washington Bridge route.

Dukey's scenic route via the Cape May ferry is even more enjoyable -- you actually get to see some of the US instead of only looking at motorways. You can get from Boston to Lewes in one day via the ferry; lots of places to spend the night and eat. You can cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, rejoin I-95 around Petersburg, VA, then get well into South Carolina by the end of day 2. There are many undistinguished places to stay and to eat. You will then make it to your destination in the afternoon of day 3.

Coming back, make the scenic portion of your trip US 17 from Savannah to Charleston or Georgetown, SC before rejoining I-95 and blasting north.

Try to avoid NY, New Haven, Philadelphia, Wilmington, or Washington at rush hour (4-7 PM, 6:30-9:30 AM).

Old May 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM

I agree wtih gail
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM

could you fly? I found southwest for $162 roundtrip for your dates.

If you have to drive, maybe you could stop at a beach along the way? VA Beach or something? It would be further out of the way though.

good luck!
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM

It is tricky to avoid rush hour in Boston, Hartford, NY metro area and Washington, DC.

We try to leave at around 6 AM. It is about 2 hours Boston-Hartford, so we stop for a fast breakfast somewhere around 8 - you do hit some traffic around Hartford, but it is tolerable.

Then we just keep driving - I have about a 2-3 hour bladder, so we make stops about that often (I know, I am really annoying as a car rider). That puts us in NJ somewhere for a fast interstate lunch and then we try to push it to reach DC area before rush hour.

If something like an accident delays us, and we hit DC at rush hour, we just give up, stop for dinner and then continue on.

I am a morning person and try to force this on my family. They prefer to leave Boston around 10 AM, avoiding rush hour in northern cities. Then stop for lunch/dinner in NJ late afternoon when traffic gets bad and continue on after that.

When our kids were younger and we did long car trips, I would put them to be in clothes like sweat pants - something comfortable to sleep and travel in. Roll them out of bed into car at very early hour - they hardly wake up and usually fall back asleep in car.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:07 AM

We took the route around NYC - hit a little traffic here and there (because it was pouring rain) but all in all it wasn't a bad trip.

We left on a Wednesday morning at 5AM and drove until a bit after dark. We had no hotel booked we just pulled off the highway and took a hotel near a Walmart.

The next morning we took off again pretty early stopping at The South of the Border to check it out. We arrived at WDW around 8PM.

Pretty much the same thing heading home. We stopped in Screven GA to visit a friend then drove until we were tired and just stopped a a hotel right off the highway. The next day we stopped in DC for lunch and then arrived home in Boston at about 10PM.