driving boston to dc

Search

driving boston to dc

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving boston to dc

hi, just joined fodors after finding some useful travel info in past forums..
does anyone have any tips on the best way to drive from boston to washington dc on a saturday.. we sat on the George Washinton bridge for HOURS last year..also-best rest stops, gas.. we'll be driving with 2 small kids..
thanks in advance
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Don't take the George Washington Bridge.

Driving Boston to Hartford to Wilbur Cross Parkway to Merrit Parkway to White Plains avoids most trucks across CT.

Take the Tappan Zee Bridge, then the Garden State Parkway. The first rest stop on the Garden State Parkway has the cheapest gas on the trip and usually clean restrooms. A fillup here will take you all the way to Washington if you start full from Boston.

Exit the Garden State Parkway at the New Jersey Turnpike to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Then follow I-95 under its various names all the way to DC. Any good map will show you.

Take lots of dollar bills and coins for tolls. There are many of them on this route.

I drive this often, and I seldom get stuck in bad traffic.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Mass Turnpike to Sturbridge exit. Route 84 thru Hartford, to 684, 87 (thru White Plains, NY) and then over Tappan Zee Bridge.

Follow signs to Garden State Parkway and then NJ Turnpike (it is in this paragraph that others have their own favorite routes).

This is Route 95 - continue on this until you reach Baltimore/Washington area - then again, depending on exact destination, route may differ.

I avoid NY City like the plague, so which ever nuance of this route you take, I would opt for Tappan Zee Bridge.

Also, get a toll transponder - saves a fair amount of time at tolls.

Rest/gas stops. Try not to need to stop in CT - there are no easy on/easy off stops - or if there are, the signs do not give you that info. I always find myself getting off highway and then driving for miles.

In NJ there are easily accessed rest areas with gas and fast food on Turnpike - not high cuisine, but likely to appeal to small kids. Gas is more expensive, but I opt for easy versus cheap.

Don't do this on Memorial Day weekend on a Saturday - I have no tips for that.

(Now, get ready for opinions of others who have their own favorite routes - and then flip a coin)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much!
That will really help us this weekend!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM

done both routes but the easiest is the mass tpk to 84. the other is a little shorter but the roads may not move quite as fast. if i recall correctly a lot of conn. roads still have a 55mph speed limit. no matter i always head for the tappan zee (and don't be confused as you head to NJ yes you head towards nyc) really this is a southerly route you end up on the nythruway after the tappan zee then you get the gsp.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I agree fastest route is Mass pike to 84 to 684. When 684 ends stay to the right and follow 287west White Plains/ Tappan Zee bridge. 287 will merge with 87North Tappan Zee bridge [Will be Left hand merge] Cross over bridge and follow signs to Garden State Parkway which is exit 14A
Follow signs to NJ turnpike.
I travel 287w to exit 14 everyday, with no traffic should take 20 minutes. Exit 14A is no more that a minute past.
First rest stop on Garden State is very clean. Gas last week there was $259.9.
Have a safe trip