Where to go with a 1 year old?

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Karen

Where to go with a 1 year old?

Looking to go to Maine next year with our 1 year old in August/September. Any reccommedations on where to stay, what to do etc.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 09:52 AM
Ceyno Tokids

stay home is best advice for you and your one year old squealer

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Kristen

Amen...

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 01:36 PM
MrRogers

One of the longest threads ever done here was "Why do people bring children everywhere?" which generated a great deal of heat and absolutely no light. There are a lot of grumps on this site as far as children and I'm afraid you'll get more abuse than advice. I wish you the best of luck and don't take any of this personal ,it has NOTHING to do with you.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 01:55 PM
susan

Take a little advice from an old grandmother: go where YOU want to and your little one will be happy, too. You've got years and years ahead of you when you'll be stuck going places and doing things to please your child ...take advantage of the time you have left to please yourself!

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 02:44 PM
ILOVEKIDS

Wow! I sure am glad that not everyone in the world feels the the above posters do - or the human race would be doomed.

When our kids were little - One year old or less - We took them to Santa Fe, Aspen, and the Cascade Wilderness in Washington State. We took them camping. We even went on a week-long ski trip to Steamboat when our youngest was ten-weeks old. Every trip was terrific! I am glad we were never bothered by a bunch of grumpy, childless people.

And as far as my kids dictating where we go now - They are now 10 and 14. We have been to many National Parks, the Carribean, Hawaii, Canada, a good many large cities United States - including Washington DC, Boston, San Francisco. Our kids never complain about where we are going. They are just excited to go and they know they are fortunate to be able to travel the way they do. We have instilled in them the joy of travel and of meeting new people and trying new food and adventures. I love my kids and I love traveling with them. My kids are well behaved and they would never bother other travelers. I would be terribly offended if someone complained about my kids being around just because they happened to be under age 21.

Have fun on your trips. Life is short and your kids will only be with you so long. Travel well and enjoy every minute and maybe they will still want to travel with you when they are adults - and maybe you will be fortunate enough to never become a grumpy old childless person!

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Mom

ILoveMyKids-Congratulations on having well behaved children. You must be up for mother of the year honors.

As a mother of children under the age of 5, I have no illusions about their behavior. There are some places that I would not take my children, esp. toddlers because they are too unpredictable and are prone to meltdowns. Why foist my darling children on those who are trying to have a little peace and quiet? Unfortunately, some parents seem to think it is ok to drag kids under 5 to nice restaurants and other inappropriate places where just do not belong!

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 05:54 PM
DJ

The coast of Maine is beautiful and diverse.
South of Portland is kind of like Cape Cod. It's very built up and commercial, but has nice beaches.
Portland to Bar Harbor is more quaint. The coastline is rocky with many harbors and fishing villages. It's nice to just drive around and explore, if your little one can put up with that.
North of Bar Harbor is even less developed and touristy.
Some of the popular spots are Kennebunkport, Boothbay Harbor, Rockport, Camden, Bar Harbor, and of course LL Beans. Portland is a nice little city.
Or you could rent a cottage at the beach or on a cool, clear lake.
September is a great time to travel, much less crowded, lower prices, and still good weather. Before my kids started school that was my favorite time to travel. It can be difficult with young kids, but you just have to be realistic. Don't stay home.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Ilovekids

Dear Mom,

Like I said my kids are 10 and 14 now and can go anywhere and behave. I remember the pre-age 5 period and we also didn't go to elegant restaurants. But not going to restaurants didn't keep us from traveling. Like I said above - Finding a place with a kitchen to stay always helps. If you have to stay in a hotel room with a young one, the best time to travel is in the summer when you can have alot of picnics. There are ways to have fun with young children without bothering other people.