Where to go with 4 days in mid October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a more difficult time than I thought deciding on a pace to go for four days in mid October. We live in cleveland and would like to either drive or fly inexpensively (under $150pp) to our destination. We'd prefer a city trip, just came back from chicago in July so that's out for now. We don't have enough time to go West so I think we need to look at East Coast/Northeast/Canada. Someplace with enough to do we can navigate on foot/public transportation. Want to avoid typical scenic Fall foliage areas, think it will be too crowded and peak travel for those areas. Places we are considering: Toronto/NOTL, Boston, NYC but open to off the beaten path destinations.

Thanks,
Jill
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Off the top of my head, these are some suggestions, could not say if they are within your $150 airfare range, the first five can be reached by non-stop flights from one or both of the Cleveland airports:

--Washington, DC (with car could include Harper’s Ferry or other areas)
--Philadelphia (with car could include the Brandywine area in PA/Delaware)
--New Orleans
--Montreal
--Annapolis, Maryland (fly into BWI in Baltimore and drive/train/bus/taxi (1/2 by car), may not be enough of a city for you; not sure if you want any outdoor activities, which Annapolis would give you plus a charming small town and the US Naval Academy. Also consider the St Michaels area of Maryland as well, not city at all but beautiful bay/marsh area)
--Newport, Rhode Island (fly non-stop to Providence, then car/bus/taxi (45 minutes), may not be enough city for you but the mansions are quite a site and little town is interesting)
--Charleston, SC
--Savannah, Georgia

You could consider places like Miami or elsewhere in Florida like Ft Myers, but that is hurricane season (which could affect South Carolina, Georgia and of course New Orleans too)

NYC and Boston would work as well and there seem to be non-stops from Cleveland. I would avoid weekends anywhere you go, esp Columbus Day.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 05:11 AM

Your impulse for Toronto/ Niagara on the Lake is well placed... Shaw Festival is playing in NOTL til November if you enjoy Theater... the crowds are down and The Wine region in Niagara is in harvest mode... Toronto in the Fall is great for walking, dining, and with easier access to shows and attractions, its a perfect choice... If you are football fans, your Cleveland Browns visit Buffalo on Oct 11th... its a trip that allows you to set your own price tag... you can live it up in luxury, or low key the accomodations... you can dine 4 diamond or eat on the cheap... all for a tank of gas each way.... Have Fun!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 07:30 AM

I think either Boston or Washington D.C. would be great for you. Tons to see and do in both places.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Quebec City - almost like being in France. Amazingly picturesque.
Montreal - Very hip, safe, lively city with an international flavor. World class dining and shopping.
Boston - Historic, scenic, easy to walk.
D.C. - Mind boggling amount of things to see - most of them free. Weather will be very pleasant on October.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Go to http://www.farecompare.com/ and scroll all the way down to travel deals and enter your home airport. the site comes up with pricing for a list of cities and the general time you want to travel. from there you can get an idea of what's out there and where you could possibly go.