Where to go April/May next year?

Dec 1st, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Where to go April/May next year?

Hello, originally we were planning going to Canada in June, but due to work commitments that can't happen. We were also going to visit a cousin there - but he is away in April/May.
So....we thought Ok we'll go to the US again. Our initial thoughts are either a Seattle to San Diego PCH trip, visiting with friends in Pasadnea and Fallbrook on the way through, or go to Colorado/New Mexico. We have been through a bit of NM when we drove rte 66, and would love to go back and explore some more. We were there in March last time and it was freezing. I have no idea for instance whether roads are still likely to be closed in Colorado at that time of year, or if spring will have sprung by then.
If you could spend three weeks doing one of these trips, last week of April first two of May, which would you choose?
I shall no doubt be back with stacks more questions once we've decided.
Thanks.
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM

Hitismij,

April/May is the perfect time to visit the red rock country of southern UT and the whole 4 Corner region. 3 week for a trip to this area at this time would make you the envy of many!

With 3 weeks you could visit all the southern UT natl parks, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Escalante, Bryce and Zion. You would still have time for Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell. In CO you could include Mesa Verde.

Winter weather would normally be over in southern UT at this time, although it's always possible to get some late spring snow at high altitudes - Bryce Canyon. The rest would be fine.

I'm from California, so I would say April and May is not the very best time for the coast. But it is the very best time for the 4 Corners!
Just one option of many!
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:27 AM

April May are beautiful in Southern Arizona. Read this before you decide http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/
There is so much to do and see here.
Dec 1st, 2007, 08:11 AM
TheWeasel

I agree with Dayle.

In the CO mountains, spring will not have sprung until June. That's elevation dependent, but certainly in late April/early May you'll still find a lot of snow in the mountains.

Dec 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Lots of food for thought. Dayle where else would you suggest at that time?
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM

Hetismij,

Well, I thought that was kind of a lot! Really, spring is fabulous for any of the desert areas. Nice temps, wildflowers....great photo ops with snowy mountains in the background. It's really hard to beat.

One place I've always wanted to visit in the spring is Charlston and Savanah. Haven't made it yet.

Of course, Italy in May is gorgeous!
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM

I like Dayle's suggestion. You could spend 2 days or so at each place he suggested. And yes, I would envy you. My first thought was pretty much what he suggested. I also thought of Flordia/ Keys/Everglades. Your PCH trip would be nice as well. You could hit Coumbia Gorge, Crater Lake, Oregon Caves, Redwoods, San Fran, Big Sur, Channel Islands, LA, San Diego. The PCH trip would probably be better in May. The Florida trip better in April. The Utah trip would be ok either way, but I would lean more toward May than April on that one, but either time would be good. Do you prefer a relaxed vacation or are you an adventurous type? If you don't like to hike and do things, then the Utah trip probably wouldn't be the one to do.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Charleston and Savannah are on the wish list but I think we'll save them for another time. OH has been to Florida a lot on business, and doesn't want to holiday there.
I have found a good flight/carhire package to Phoenix, over €100 cheaper than Denver for instance. So I think we may get that and spend three weeks pottering around the AZ, UT, NM, Co border area.
We like a bit of gentle hiking, nothing too strenuous, and given that we live below sea level (we're in Holland), are not used to hills (we're in Holland!and our ages (he's 60 I'm 52) the altitude could effect things.
On previous road trips we have stayed in chain motels for the road part of it, then found nicer hotels or B&Bs for places we want to stay for a few days. I'm hoping we can do the same this trip. We like to wing it rather feeling we must press on because the next hotel is booked.
I am beginning to get excited about this trip!
Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:16 AM

Hetismij,

If you do go ahead with the AZ, UT NM, CO trip - you should make advance reservations. These parks are, for the most, part in remote locations - no large cities nearby with lots of chain motels to drop in at the last minute. Even the parks that do have more lodging choices available (near small towns) are very popular, and everything gets filled up.

Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
oceankayaker7

Start is San Diego and drive north along the PCH, make stops in Laguna Beach, Malibu , Santa Barbara, Cambria, Big Sur/ Carmel. You could fly home from Monterey.