Where to find "European feel" in US???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a US or possibly Canadian destination that has a European feel to it. Good restaurants, "historic feel" but not into history...nice scenery - water would be nice. Montreal is one idea but I was trying to think of others. I'd love to travel to Italy, France or Greece but just don't have the time/money right now. Looking for a 4-5 day trip this summer w/husband from DC area so any ideas are welcomed.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:30 AM

I would highly recommend Quebec City - lovely European feel and French is the main language, those most people are bilingual, especially in the tourism sector. The restaurants are fabulous and there are several authentic, small, European-style boutique hotels in Old Quebec City.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM

Quebec City is a great idea. How about a cruise to the Bahamas?
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM

Ne York is much more european than most US cities. It's made for walking, there are an incredible number of attractions, tons of quaint little neighborhoods, great food for any cuisine and almost 1000 outdoor cafes.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM

St Augustine, Florida. America's oldest city.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Boston!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM

In addition to Quebec City, Ottawa is very nice. The central city is very compact, walkable and filled with lots of attractions.

I've never been but you can visit a real part of France right here in North America. St. Pierre and Miquelon are two islands off the SE coast of Newfoundland that France kept after they lost the rest of Canada in 1761. I'm not sure if they're currently considered overseas departments or territories.

The islands have passenger ferry service from Newfoundland and air service from Montreal.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM

Ouray Colorado is called "Switzerland of America."
http://www.ouraycolorado.com/

Summer here is spectacular. Million Dollar Highway loop through Telluride and Durango makes for an excellent adventure in the SW.

http://www.swcolotravel.org/itinerary1.html

http://www.telluridevisitorguide.com.../day-trips.asp

Check this old thread - -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34824182

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.

Portsmouth NH - very English-feeling (to me) and lots of water around too.

San Juan PR

Several Caribbean islands; St. Thomas for example (except for daily inundation by cruise people.)

Parts of Vancouver BC are pretty cosmopolitan-feeling. Victoria BC is famously "British," at least for the area right around the Inner Harbour.

However I would agree with Quebec City - couple it with a drive down the St. Laurence to the Gaspe Peninsula - very Brittany-feeling.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM

Montreal & Quebec City

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM

If you are looking for something a bit small town....

The Mohonk Mountain House feels very European. Its like taking a trip into Switzerland or like a different world all-together. It is a huge, gorgeous, rambling, historic inn set next to a mountain top lake. There is lots of good walking trails, as well as the opportunity to canoe or fish in the lake.

The town of New Paltz which you could go into for the day has very Bohemian feel - with shops, restaurants and art galleries.

Rhinebeck & Redhook are also nice towns nearby. Not European, but full of character just the same.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM

Or what about Bermuda?

Its hurricane season, but maybe you can get some good deals!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM

Check out Solvang in California.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
JJ5

This is not anything on the order of the other suggestions. It's in MI and in a small town. But between the Innkeeper, all the people who have moved there because of his revamping an almost 200 year old coach inn (horse route between Detroit and Chicago for 100 years)- Mendon, MI.

It's on the St. Joe River, and he is a cordon bleu Paris trained chef and a European musician, originally from South Africa. And the people who run a cafe on the same street are from Belgium & France. And between all that and the river and the way meals are served and wine is sipped on the verandas etc. - it is does have a feel.

The architecture adds to the effect because most everything is built out of large River Rock from the St. Joe, including the large church, and it looks older than it is. Many of the surrounding natives are Amish and the dress etc. in town and experienced on canoeing etc. trips/ picnics in the area - isn't even anywhere near the "normal" American modern.

And thinking about it in detail, I don't even think I ever saw a tv there anywhere at all. Nor are there phones. Not that Europe is not tv or phone prone, but that it, Mendon, also has a time warp factor, IMHO.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:12 AM

Philadelphia. Center City has a European feel, lots of cafes, restaurants. Chestnut Hill has a nice English village feel to it (although, as one CH resident noted, "we fled England 200 years ago and have spent the last 100 years trying to recreate it").
Philly has two rivers, but not sure if that's what you mean by waterfront. And you may find it's just too close to DC to give you a real "change of scenery" feeling.
From Philly, you could day trip up to historic Bethlehem, which has a beautiful German style vibe (but not oom pah pah Bavarian Germany, more like an 18th century North Rhine/Westphalia). And don't visit during Musikfest, Beth is completely mobbed then.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM

I would have to agree that Quebec City and Montreal are like being in France. Great restaurants and Quebec also has a promenade. Keep an eye out for groups of Native American Indians playing music in lower part of the city. They are so entertaining! Montreal has the greatest restaurants...
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM

French Quarter, New Orleans. Wait until spring or fall though, very hot in summer.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico is a wonderful idea.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM

Stowe, Vermont at the Trapp Family Lodge. Rekindles my memories of watching the movie, The Sound of the Music, and the beautiful Swiss Alps.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM

In the summer Quebec makes sense. Montreal and Quebec City are both great destinations. The Saguenay Fiord area north of Q City is beautiful.
The Eastern townships (east of Montreal) are also very nice in summer and have some of the water you are looking for-- the monastery of St Benoit du Lac on Lake Memphremagog is in a beautiful setting.
I was interested in the mention of
St. Pierre and Miquelon--this little bit of France off of Newfoundland has always fascinated me. if you do go there, please post a report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -