Reload this Page >

Where to eat the best lobster?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:49 AM
susan

Visiting the outlets in Kittery in November... any local places for great lobster , no wine list, just great lobster Thanks

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Lobster

Puerto Nuevo in Baja Mexico

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:01 PM
rolf

Clearly, it's the Naples Lobster Pound, (207) 693-6580, Naples Rt 302.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:05 PM
xx

Chauncey Creek or Captain Simmeons. Naples is not near Kittery.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:07 PM
soused clam

go over the bridge and take rt 16 to Dover Point and look for Captian Newick's .

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Shell Fish

I'm curious -where's Kittery?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
KeyWest

Right out of the ocean off the pier in front of my house in Key West then, straight onto the grill!

Yum!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:43 PM
jennifer

I'm confused..... isn't Kittery in Maine? Isn't that what you meant Susan?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Larry (The Lobster)

Susan,

I beLiEve tHat the eAtiNg of mE--i meAn tHem waS ouTLawed recEntLy. NoPE, tHerE aRe SimPly no moRe loBsters aVailaBle to eAt aT thiS timE, aNYwhEre!

hAve yOu conSidEred pERhaps oNe of tHOse lANd coW thiNgs maYBe? i hEAr thEy're VerY deLiCioUs. iN aNy Case, yOu'lL have tO CoMe uP wiTh soMe OthEr idEa fOR foOd 'cAUse thERE arE siMplY nO moRe of uS--i mEan thOse awFUl, diSGuStiNg loBsters.

Sincerely,

Larry (definitely not a loBster)

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:47 PM
susan

hi, yes Kittery Maine. thanks for all the great recommendations. any more?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Melissa

I have lived in New England all my life, and I am telling you there is nothing in the world like a MAINE LOBSTA!
When I lived North of Boston, I used to do day trips to Kittery all the time. IMO, the BEST place for a lobster dinner is Billy's Chowda House in Wells, Maine, just up RTE 1 past Kittery and Ogunquit. There will be a sign on your right if you are heading north.
No frills, no thrills, just the best lobster at the best price around. Good chowder and steamers too.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:07 PM
ram

Question, is there any way you could send me a couple of them lobsters down here to Atlanta by overnight? As much as I love lobster and know I've never had one from Maine is this possible?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:10 PM
lois

Ram, if you haven't had lobster from Maine, you haven't had lobster. End of story.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:31 PM
lobsterettte

yes, you can have a lobster sent to you from Legal Seafood in Boston. I believe they also have a website.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:51 PM
mare

Capt Simeon's Galley and Warrens right on Route 1.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Denni

Anywhere in Maine! Especially in the coastal towns.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Parrot Mom

Okay, your talking to a real Kittery shopper....now, if you want lobster and IF its available go to the Weathervane which is right in Kittery in the middle of the outlets. Your not going to want to sit outside in November...you will have no problem finding lobster at Chauncey Creek..but you will want to take a break from all the shops. For more information on Kittery, just write me..I was there last week...

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Donna

We were in Kittery and Ogunquit a few weeks ago. DH had a great twin lobster dinner at a place a little north of Kittery on Rte 1, I think it was called Bosn's Landing. If you go up to Ogunquit, go to Perkins Cove and try the Oarweed also.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Dick

For those unfamiliar with lobster life history - here in New England we're entering the period of the year when the lobsters molt, which means that there will be a lot of "soft shell" lobsters on the market. Softshell crabs are great, softshell lobsters are not - there's litle meat and what there is tends to be mushy. Most reputable places will indicate they're serving softshells and the price will be adjusted down accordingly. In my opinion it can't be low enough. They will usually also have some real hardshells around, so pay extra if you must and order the real thing if there's an option. If you can't find hardshells go for the fried clams.

Another tip - when picking a lobster in a pound, always buy the one that has the biggest barnacles and other assorted crud growing on its shell - that means the lobster has been in that shell a long time and will have the most meat per pound of body weight.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Donna F

Just in case someone doesn't realize it, Maine lobsters and Caribbean lobsters are two different animals and taste entirely different. Plus the Maine lobsters have claws and the others don't.
I am convinced that lobster tastes best when cooked in Maine saltwater in places where you rush to the picnic table as soon as it's cooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -