Where to eat at Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have reservations for dinner at El Tovar for my family of four (kids ages 7 and 9) but have read mixed reviews. I'm thinking it may be better to cancel and grab a quick bite somewhere (suggestions, anyone?) and find a good spot to watch the sunset. Any insight on where to eat, any places to avoid, and also any good sunset spots? We'll only be there one day. Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:47 PM

I really like having dinner at El Tovar, but don't know if kids as young as yours would enjoy it. When we've eaten at Bright Angel, I've always been pleased. There's also a steakhouse in between the two places, but I've never tried it.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:36 PM

With "antsy" kids, I would try doing lunch at El Tovar because it probably be faster, but I would not miss El Tovar. Great view out the window!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Yes, definitely do El Tovar. We stayed there a couple years ago and were thrilled with both breakfast and lunch. (We were too late for our dinner reservations.)

Ask for a window seat and wait for it if you have to. At both meals, we saw a sweet doe wandering just outside the window, between us and the Canyon. It was way cool!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:04 PM

there is a large cafeteria within walking distance of el tovar. i found it nice and quick. the kids don't have to sit for very long and can pick what they want.

there is a sunset bus that takes you to the end of the line for good viewing and pictures. ask at bright angel info desk.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:14 AM

I had dinner at El Tovar - the food was mediocre, but it's the best you're going to get out there!

There is a pizza place on the main road outside the park, across from the Best Western (?). I don't remember seeing much else.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:39 AM
E

My experience at the steakhouse MaryZ mentioned was awful! We waited for a table for a long time, and the food was soooo not worth it--it was microwaved frozen food, basically, and not cheap, either. The cafeteria, while not great, was much more tolerable. I hope you enjoy El Tovar--but the problem is, all the food inside the Park is institutional, not fresh, fast food, and the drive to anything even slightly nicer outside the park is kind of a pain. I would just say not to expect too much of the cuisine, and you'll be fine.