Where to buy second home Phoenix

Mar 15th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Where to buy second home Phoenix

Looking to buy a second home in the Phoenix area. Only 50, and active bike/runners so not a retirement community. Ideas? Prefer condo.
Mar 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM

How much money?
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

$200K or so.
Mar 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM

That price range will give you some choices of apartment/condo coversions in Phoenix and the East Valley. You might find some new properties in Chandler in that range. An older property or something very small in Scottsdale (likely the less ritzy S. Scottsdale). I am not familiar with the West Side, but no doubt you will find many properties there - but it has less to offer, IMO. In other words, so long as you are open to an older condo or an apt conversion, you should have many choices in that price range, from 1 bedroom to rather nice size 2 bedroom units.
You might also want to consider the far east valley (Gold Canyon) or far west valley (Surprise, Avondale) if you don't mind being out of the city traffic and away from things. The scenery is gorgeous, lots of hiking, and you'd likely be able to find even a single family home, albeit small, that's nearly new in those areas in this price range. Also townhouse communities.
Mar 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM

$200 is going to limit you alot, especially for a preowned home, new in a new area might be a better deal and those areas are far out from Phoenix. As kgourmet said, a condo/patio home is an option and you'd probably want one that would be safely left for extended lengths of time...some I'm thinking of are in the Alvarado/Coronado and Alvarado/Palm Lane areas, very close to the Heard Museum, Phoenix Theater(live), Phoenix Art Museum, public libraries, with plenty of restaurants, galleries, parks close by...these are located in a historic residential area. One is called Villa del Coronado and another Palm Lane Gardens and there is another one that escapes my mind. The Villa's main real estate agent is Ceil Klinger and she is well acquainted and lives in the area, being a native Phoenician. I grew up in that area and like it alot, unless you want new and outside the city.
Mar 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
TahitiTams

Hi..
I would wait to buy a second home in the Phoenix are because the market is going south real quick because of all the investors from California and it is way oversaturated..My best friend is head of a Real Estate Development Company in the high end market and they are having trouble making there quotas..
We are looking to buy a second home in Sedona/Flagstaff area but I would go in Gold Canyon, Queen Creek or Cave Creek area of Phoenix.. I wouldn't want to be in the city..
Hang on for 6 months plus and there will be so many properties on the market that you can pick and choose for under $200K..
Have you considered Flagstaff, Cottonwood or Tucson?
Phoenix is getting hotter, smoggier and humid and the traffic is horrific..
Good Luck to you!

Mar 16th, 2006, 02:35 AM
emd

cfpete, check posts by a poster here named "amwosu". She and her hsband are the same type as you, physically active, bike, and were looking for a second home. She did a post just like yours about than a year ago. They ended up buying a condo in Fountain Hills and love it. They travel there frequently from Indiana.
Mar 16th, 2006, 02:40 AM
emd

I know amwosu also looked (and could get more for her $$) in Gold Canyon (near Superstition Mtn.), but ended up in Fountain Hills.
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Have you ever thought about Tucson instead? It is beautiful, not as congested as Phoenix.

Tucson is filled with things to do. There is Mt. Lemmon nearby. There are lots of hiking areas. Sabino park is incredible. Lots of good golfing too. The scenery is great, Tucson is surrounded by mountains.

There is also great restaurants, parks,and shopping.

Just something to consider...!
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Hello emd!!! DH is in Phoenix on business this week and I'm soooo sad that I can't be there too. I lined up all of his dinner reservations and his coworkers are loving me right now!

cfpete- another poster suggested Fountain Hills for us and we LOVE it! 10,000 fulltime residents, 30,000 in the winter. Doesn't feel like a retirement area. Lots of people jogging, walking, skating, biking...

Do a mapquest and look at the boundaries of Fountain Hills. Urban sprawl can NEVER happen there- McDowell Mountain Regional Prk to the north, Fort McDowell Indian Community to the east, and Salt River-Pima Indian Community to the South. To the west, Scottsdale is approaching FHs but there are some foothills that will keep a natural divide between the two communities.

People travel from Scottsdale, Phoenix, Mesa to ride their bikes in the McDowell Regional Park. We walk out our door and ride our bikes 4 miles to the park. I think it is 20,000 acres... Lots of great off road trails. Google to find the website.

Easy, enjoyable, uncrowded roads from the airport to Fountain Hills, about 35 minutes, largely through Indian land.

Check out www.fountainhillsguide.com for info. I've been five times so far since June and have several more trips planned for spring and summer. Fountain Hills is typically 3-6 degrees cooler than Phoenix, Scottsdale, or Mesa as it is a slightly higher elevation in the foothills.

You can easily get to Pinnacle Peak in 20-25 minutes for a morning hike. I usually spot huge coyotes loping across the nearly empty road on the way. Javelinas, hawks, desert quail, bobcats are frequently seen around FHs as it is surrounded by so much open land.

We had no plan to lease the condo while we aren't there but were contacted by another owner in our complex who has rented it out for several months this spring and has people interested for next spring already. He had the place rented out for the former owner for the fall months too.... We are earning more than double our mortgage during peak season. The renters are always leasing by the month and are retirees so no hard use happening as would be the case of week by week leases with kids.

We were tempted to go east to Gold Canyon as it is cheaper to buy there. However, after an exhausting day of looking around we discovered far fewer amenities (very few restaurants, groceries,or pharmacies, not much in medical services), no good biking areas, and an unpleasant drive to and from Phoenix.

We couldn't decide between a house or condo. We decided on a condo because it is less headache as we live so far away. Also, it was literally half the price of a house.

There are few places available in FHs for under $200K except those places built in 1973. I don't recommend them. Our place, built in 1988 has a couple of units for sale for just over $200K but they aren't moving so I'm sure they could be had for $200K.

Email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to direct you to our complex and answer any questions you have.
Mar 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM

TahitiTams (IMO) is right on the mark about waiting - I'd say 12 months rather than 6. Also about considering those other areas. I did think of Fountain Hills but didn't mention it as it would be over the $200K limit, as the last poster (who lives there) has already said. The downtown area, Coronado, is (IMO) questionable for what you are specifically looking for, and I'd think long and hard about it.
Mar 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
TahitiTams

Hey..
6 months was generous but I think 12 months is probably more on the mark..
Where is Coronado in the AZ area?
All the best jkgourmet..you sound like a wonderful great person!
Have a wonderful 2006!

Mar 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Coronado Road is in central Phoenix, in a historic residential area. The reason I suggested that area is, the price is right, loads of things to do in the area, or not far, and they are definitely close up and leave it safely cared for. The specific one I am thinking of is Villa del Coronado, monthly fee includes everything, taxes, upkeep and utilities...it is extremely well cared for and upbeat lively people live there, it is not for everyone and I realize that, but there are loads of bike paths, walking areas and close to downtown.