Where should I pop the question?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Me

Where should I pop the question?

Hi,
Ok, let me take a deep breath.......I've finally saved enough to buy my g/f an engagement ring and have money leftover for an awesome getaway. My hope is to fly somewhere for New Year's and ask while we're away(if I don't pass out from fear first...)

Now here's the question, folks? WHERE?!

We both love NY, so that's a thought. I've been to San Fran but she's hasn't-- somewhere in Napa Valley?

Are there any great engagement stories/ideas that I can steal?

Me

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Me

I forgot to mention that we're in our late 20's and live in Georgia. I have about $1500-2000 set aside for the big w/e.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:49 PM
good

dude,get real. You should have the guts to think of this on your own,not on some travel forum. She finds out about this and she may say NO!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Nancy

My husband proposed to me in St. Martin. It's not the US, but very romantic. He came out on the balcony with a bottle of champagne and a towel over his arm like a real sommelier. It was sooooooooo romantic. If you need to stay in the states, the top of the empire state building could be very romantic. The Ritz Carlton in Naples Florida is beautiful or maybe somewhere in New Orleans. If you can, get rose petals and put them on the bed or somewhere in the room..........women love that! Good luck!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:52 PM
xxx

Do it at the Rainbow Room in New York City. Get a room at the Waldorf or Plaza. Aren't you going to be a great husband.

PS Breath in, breath out. We all say yes.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:53 PM
xxx

The top of the Empire State building is always crowded and windy. Not good advice.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:54 PM
xxx

The Chateau Lake Louise. Nothing is more romantic than the Rockies in winter - ski during the day, sit in front of a raoring fire at night.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:00 PM
S

My husband, with his wiseass sense of humor, asked me to get him a glass of orange juice. We were packing to go visit his parents for the weekend and his contract had just been renewed. I said "Sure" and opened the refridgerator to find the ring box open in front of the OJ.

Do you want her to get an idea of what's going on ahead of time? Then do the spectacular weekend - she'll get suspicious.

If you want the whole thing to be a surprise, don't go too far out of the ordinary.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:39 PM
OliveOyl

Our son just did this. It was his girlfriend's birthday so he told her he had a surprise trip planned for her birthday weekend. He found a great getaway deal through Expedia, Dallas->Colorado Springs, airfare, 3 nights hotel and 3 days full sized car rental for $300 pp. Then he obsessed that he'd be stopped going through security and the ring box found and opened. LOL Didn't happen. His plan had been to propose at the top of Pikes Peak, but they got up there, it was frigid, blowing and snowing. Not the atmosphere he was looking for. He ended up asking her back at the room--with a view of Pikes Peak from their window. Got down on his knee then couldn't get the words out! She got the idea...and said yes (and cried) etc. Good luck and best wishes!!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 02:45 PM
duh!

Make sure the answer will be "yes" !

A co-worker's son took girlfriend to Orlando & popped question. Everyone surprised to hear answer was "no", and the rest of their vacation was quite "tense".

Better to do it at a special place near home, and use the extra money for honeymoon or house.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Me

Hi!

Thanks for the ideas and for the positive poster, the votes of encouragement.

I'm not worried about whether or not she'll say yes--my g/f has been the one pushing to get engaged. She thinks after 4 yrs together (2 of them living together) that I've been dragging my feet. Yeah, right. I'm a guy, I don't drag my feet.

As for getting suspicious, she shouldn't be b/c we've established that we want to go away and both found out (this week) we have 12/25-1/3 off. Besides, she's also informed me that I need to plan something since she's done most of the organizing for the last couple of trips we've taken (It's easier for her and she's better at it.)

Anyway, I'm just uptight because I want her to have great memories of the proposal. I'm only doing this once, so I have to get it perfect!

Keep the ideas coming,
Me

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:15 PM
xxx

Me: Do you have any special interests that you both share?
Do you prefer big cities or relaxing resorts? Do you think she'd prefer to be proposed to in a public place in front of strangers or privately in a romantic setting?

Do you want a warm setting or is a ski resort an option?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Jep

I'm thinking one of the Bowl football games that way every year you can go back and see a bowl game for your ani. Now let the women start throwing things at me. lol

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Chip

What a knuckle dragger.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Me

Hello XXX--
We both love big cities but we also enjoy relaxing in a great scenic locale. Neither of us are into the big hotel ballroom type of New Year's--and she would definately hate being asked in front of a room full of strangers (which is good because I'd never do it). It will definately be a quite moment, either following a special meal (we both like the finer things in life--wine, wonderfully prepared meals) or maybe sharing a sunset somewhere....I'm a football fanatic (Go Gators!) but the Bowl idea won't fly--too bad, huh?

Ske's not as big of a skier as I am so I think a warm or semi-warm place would be best. Anyone been to Aruba? (I'll post on the Caribbean board too...)

Another idea I have is for some great resort in Sedona but can't for the life of me think of what it's called....

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:12 PM
FootballFan

Believe it or not, there are some women who would prefer tickets to a big bowl game if their alma mater was playing to rose petals (which seem trite in comparison). Welcome to the 21st century

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Jon-Eric

Congrats! I have a few choices. New Orleans is certainly romantic and lots of proposals (yes while sober) have been uttered in a carriage in front of St Louis Catherdral. Savannah, Ga which is even closer to you after a nice dinner at Elizabeths on 37th. Theres also Charleston, SC at almost any location is bound to be atmopheric espescially in the evening after a rain.
Save the really long or farther away trip for the honeymoon. Good luck

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Jon-Eric

Forgot this earlier. Apparantly this is so prevalent in New Orleans that a lot of the better hotels concierge staff are very resourceful at arranging certain things in accordance with this, but I just had another idea. Fly to New Orleans and spend the night at Madewood Plantation, trust me, about and hour and a half from New Orleans. The rates include dinner which if requested can be served private on the veranda, sunroom, room etc Madewood is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure they'd arrange anything you might need.
The dinners are great, five coarse affairs served off of the homes original china. Let us know what you decide

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Jim

You might be thinking of "The Boulders" resort, but thats in Carefree, Az and your 1,500.00 would be gone in 3 days.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Been there

Why don't you just call and ask her now and get it off your chest. That is what I did. Then I had her pick the ring she liked (got it via a jeweler her mother knew at a discount). Not classically romantic, but it worked. And if you ever part ways you will still have your dignity and a few extra bucks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -