Where should i live?

Search

Where should i live?

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should i live?

I need a change and could use some advice or suggestions on where to live.

I'm 30, single and, while not a huge party girl, I do like to go out on occasion.

I'd prefer the West Coast (ideally, Calif, though Nevada or Washington might be a possibility). I like visiting Los Angeles, but don't think i want to live there.

Grew up in Orange County, but have lived away since college and have an image of OC as a place for families only.

I'm not sure i can afford San Francisco on the salary i'll be making (5 years experience in public relations).

I was in Palm Springs recently and loved the vibe, but am concerned about the 100+ weather and if there are enough young people.

I know i'm picky, but i've spent a few years living in a region that i don't care for and I really want to live somewhere that i love.

Thanks for any help!
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM

I think you have CA fairly well assessed. Where do you live now?
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

A humid, nasty and culturally-devoid state on the east coast. And that's as specific as i'm getting for fear of offending anyone.

I haven't traveled around California in years - other than visiting my family in OC or friends for lunch in LA. But it's a massive state. There has to be somewhere perfect, right?
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM

OK..let's recap what you have told us that we can really "go on" OK?

30 and single and like to go out on occasion (unfortunately you don't tell us what you like to "go out" to...)

Prefer the West coast but not LA or SFO and California is ideal

Forget Orange County rergardless of what it might really be like now

SFO is too expensive so I guess we can include Carmel, Monterey, Santa Barbara, too

Palm Springs is probably too hot and not enough young STRAIGHT people

We have no idea exactly where you live now so whatever we recommend which might end up being just LIKE where you live now means we are in the dark on that score. Go ahead, OFFEND somebody since you are leaving town anyway!!!

RESULTS: move to San Diego or at least consider it

Back over to you, Inso
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:40 PM

Frankie, no I don't unless it is warranted and in this case it very much IS...because there are a LOT of gay YOUNG people in Palm Springs or didn;t you notice that as you spent your time there gambling?

And, unlike some, I assume this young woman is not gay.
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:45 PM

dukey, my apologies. I triple reread your post afterwards and decided mine was uncalled for so I deleted it.
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

okay...

I don't want to list the city i'm living now, but it's in NJ.

The only city i don't want to live is LA - I was strictly listing my concerns about the other places. Feel free to rebut them!

As for gay culture - I'm straight but my best friend is a gay man and I could care less if there's a vibrant gay scene as long as there's a good straight one too.

And I didn't even know that Palm Springs was a "gay" town until Dukey mentioned the lack of straight people. Sorry, I truly didn't mean to offend anyone!

So how about I rephrase my question this way: What city or towns would you suggest that a 30-year-old single, straight woman who doesn't care for Los Angeles consider moving to?
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM

I'm sure you've thought of this, but what about Seattle? Being that you're a CA native, the rain might kill you, but it's a cool city...
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:23 PM

san diego, portland, seattle
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Pausanias

Oh, move across the Hudson and have done with it. New York is the whole point of being in the mid-Atlantic area. As a world -- maybe the world -- capital it has the most to offer of any city in North America. Abandon these foolish dreams of lotus eating in California. Jump into the maelstrom. Perhaps you can swim.

Old May 31st, 2007, 03:30 PM

OK so what don't you like about LA? Listing actual items would help people to help you. From your original posting, it sounds like you like the idead of SF, just not the $$$$ to live there. Is that correct or do I assume too much? And by SF, do you mean SF proper or the entire surrounding areas (Marin, Berkeley, Silicon Valley, etc)?

Do you plan to stay in the PR field? What about exploring Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Tahoe, etc. Sounds like you need to take a trip.
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:53 PM

Or Sacramento? I keep reading that it's far less stuffy than it used to be.
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded!

Love the rain, so Seattle is a possibility. How is the cost-of-living there though? Is it inflated from the tech people?

As for New York, it holds no appeal. I like visiting, but wouldn't want to live there.

I don't like the smog or the traffic in LA. I know there's traffic everywhere, but something about being stuck on the 5 or the 405 just irritates me to no end.

As for San Fran - I love being in downtowns, but I also love having access to my car. And, quite honestly, I don't think I could afford to live in the parts that would appeal to me.

Are there any semi-cosmopolitan areas within hour or two of San Fran?

Has anyone visited Melbourne, Australia? It's a small downtown with many distinct neighborhoods that spread out from city center. Yet, it never feels over-crowded or dirty.

Since moving to Australia isn't an option, does anyone know if any cities in California that have a similar feel?

thanks again!
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM

SacTown is a dump, & if she thinks NJ is humid, you can rule out the rest of the SE US. Sounds like she likes SAn Fran but can't afford it (?). I'll throw Denver in the mix & though Seattle has been mentioned, add on Vancouver.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:03 PM

I vote for San Diego! I have one friend (in her mid-20s) who just moved there and LOVES it and another who moved from there to PA and is moving back in a few months. Both say it's got perfect weather, a great vibe and a reasonable cost of living.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
seattle... (from a california native)

you can't afford san francisco
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM

Portland.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:19 PM

I second the vote for Sacramento. It is a great little city. Lots to do and close to much more.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:26 PM

If you're priced out of SF, you're priced out of most of the bay area. You could try Sonoma county, but it's going up and you'll most likely have to commute.

Sacramento isn't that horrid, but it is hot in the summer. The best thing about Sac is that you're a couple hours from the ocean, the city (SF) and the mountains.

My suggestion would be to check for offerings in your field around the state (and Nevada and Washington) and see where those positions are. Then you can work out in an ever-widening circle to see what towns are options within a commuting distance. Then you can narrow those down to what you'd like.

I suggest that mostly because if you randomly choose a great affordable town to live in, you may find that you'll have to commute 2+ hours each way to a job. I've known too many folks who have done that out here and hated it - ended up leaving their field or moving back from where they came from.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM
valeriesgallery

I enjoyed reading Dukeys explanation so much I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and say Seattle or SanDiego. Both have great scenes right now, the former being way more expensive.

But then I read Pausanias explanation and voted for NYC!!

Final vote, though: Portland, Or. That is a very happening place to be! I would live there if I could. Very Green, very rainy. Gorgeous gardens. Very hip to the new idea of healthy eating/living.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -