Where should I go for my 40th?

Dec 13th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Where should I go for my 40th?

I'm looking for ideas of places to go to celebrate my 40th b-day. I'd like to stay in the U.S. however don't want to go anywhere in the SE (as that's where I live now).
Right now the trip is a girl-only trip - however that may change to a trip with my spouse.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

me again - my travel time would be end of Nov. 2008.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Vegas - baby!
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM

You don't say what you are looking for -- beach resort, spa, city sightseeing, outdoor activities -- and you don't say where you've been before.

But since I like big cities, I like visiting NYC and San Francisco and that's where I would always choose to go if I had the chance.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

More spec's... I'm looking for good wine - good food and serious R n R.
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM

For my 40th, I and my friends were a bit low on cash - so we went to Atlantic City. It was a blast!! I would second Vegas - GREAT place to go with the girls (or your husband) - Lots, and lots to do... If you have a big fund - go to a spa for a week - there are tons of them all over.... End of November means NYC has started their Christmas decorations, but it can be iffy weather.... San Diego is a neat city, as is Albuquerque and Santa Fe... You could also do New Orleans - and even Dallas can be alot of fun (need a rental car there).... With your peeps - anywhere will be fun...
Dec 17th, 2007, 05:43 AM

You mentioned wine and R&R and I thought of Napa Valley. I spent some time there and found it so relaxing, so beautiful - and interesting. I'm not sure how warm it is at the end of November though (although you're already from the South so that might not be so critical). OR - forgetting wine country but keeping to CA (I'm from the East coast so I'm CA dreaming today I think) - drive down The Pacific Coast Highway, work your way down - that would be a real adventure if you haven't done it - the CA coastline, particularly up North, is gorgeous. Happy B-Day in advance!
Dec 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Another vote for wine country. I love the small, beautiful town of Healdsburg in Sonoma. Great restaurants, vineyards and tasting rooms. I have stayed at the Honor Mansion - it is wonderful.
Dec 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM
GoTravel

Another vote for Vegas.

I know you said you didn't want the southeast but Key West will have the great food, R&R, plus really warm weather.

Dec 17th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Whenever I hear girls-only trip, I think road trips, which makes me think of Vegas! That's because my first girls-only trip was in Vegas, and we ended up going on a road trip along the southwest.

But seriously, Vegas is great whether it remains a girls only trip, or changes to a trip with your spouse. There's plenty to do besides gambling, with spas in all the best hotels on the strip.

For good wine, I'd say head up to Napa. There are good spas there too. Or, I'd second the suggestion by nantucketgirl to drive down highway 1, which has the most beautiful scenery this side of the Pacific.

Anyway, sorry about the spa mentions. I really need a spa day for myself, and am projecting.
Dec 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Brutforce

Try the Coast in lieu of staying in Sonoma for R & R. Think Jenner or Bodega Bay. Nothing like the ocean, fine wine, spas & hot tubs for legit R & R. Try www.sonomacoast.com & www.osmosis.com.