Where on Outer Banks?

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:15 PM
Jim

Where on Outer Banks?

I don't know the Outer Banks of NC at all, but it was recommended as a good family vacation spot. Can anyone suggest an area that's quiet but not too far away from everything. We'll have some young kids along and basically just need a nice beach and some totally informal restuarants.

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:27 PM
Quack

You want Duck.

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:52 PM
Kathy

Duck would be a good choice. It's quieter and a little more upscale than Nags Head. It's close to alot of shops. There aren't alot of restaurants around however. All of the rentals are houses with fully equipped kitchens and alot of people cook at home and maybe go out for dinner once or twice. I'd suggest the Schooner Ridge development of houses which has two outdoor and one indoor pools. If you're planning to travel this summer you may be too late to find a house. Good luck.

Mar 21st, 2002, 02:15 PM
carolyn

Duck is nice, it's a more upscale area on the Outer Banks. If you want to be able to walk to restaurants, Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head might be a better choice, that part of the beach has more activities for the kids, go-carts, miniature golf, etc.

If you're looking for hotels, you have to go to that area also.

The Outer Banks has a wide variety of accommodations at all sorts of prices. Basically, the further north you go, the more expensive the houses are. But they are also a bit newer, and therefore nicer.

Most of the area is quiet, unless you're on the bypass road. the Outer Banks is not a party town

Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:03 AM
Jim

Thanks a lot! I forgot to mention we want to rent a house. I'll start out looking at Duck.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:58 PM
pamr

Duck & Corolla are lovely - upscale. There are just a few too many vacation home developments there for our liking. Kitty Hawk, Nags Head are quite built up( they don't call it French Fry Alley for nothing). There are a lot of activities here - wind surfing, kite surfing, kayaking, sailing, jet skis, hang gliding, etc. We prefer further south - Avon, Buxton & Frisco. We have spent most every summer weekend here for the last 2 years. The water in Buxton has been beautiful - imagine swimming in a arge liquid emerald. Not much in the way of nightlife in this area.