Reload this Page >

Can you swim in outer banks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:03 PM
Judy

Looking for a beach vacation which includes swimming and I've heard Outer Banks water is rough? Any feedback?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:06 PM
carolyn

Yes, you can swim there. Yes, some days it is rough, but other days it can be as calm as a swimming pool. The public beaches are good about posting flags when the conditions are bad.

If the rip tides are bad, a red flag will be posted and you'll get yelled at by the life guards.

I lived there for a year, and vacationed many, many years there, and only once encountered a day so rough swimming wasn't allowed.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:10 PM
Kathy

We have vacationed in Duck for many summers and the ocean is definitely swimmable. The above poster accurately describes the conditions.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:15 PM
Whitey

Feel free. I swim off shore all the time, especially when I'm hungry.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:13 PM
Judy

Thanks Whitey, that's what I was afraid of!!!!! And thanks for the info about the swimming.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:26 AM
Whitey

Judy, can I smell your juicy foot?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:53 PM
pamr

Judy, my family & I have spent almost every summer weekend there for the last 2 years. The water is generally (9 times out of 10) "rough" enough for good, fun, safe boogey boarding. The water in the Buxton area is beautiful - emerald green & very clear. As to sharks... I don't know of many beaches where they are not a problem. The OBX has some of the nicest beaches I have been to (I just wish they had palm tres!!) and there are both guarded areas & many places where you can have a good chunk of beach to yourself. You might also want to consider the Crystal Coast of NC ( around the Beaufort area - be sure to go to Shackleford banks) and further south in the Wilmington area - Kure Beach & Atlantic Beach.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:04 PM
pamr

Whoops - Atlantic Beach is on the Crystal Coast. Wrightsville Beach is another beach near Kure beach. Anywhere on the NC coast is nice! We live in Va. Beach, Va. & prefer the OBX any day!