Who has the best hotel rates online?

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:38 AM
s

Who has the best hotel rates online?

I'm planning a trip and would like to know which site offers the best rates for hotels. I've used Expedia, Travelocity etc. and do not really like them.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Max

There is no single site with best overall rates.
Some sites specialize in lower budget hotels, some mid or even upper range.
You still have to check the actual hotel (or chain) website as they sometimes offer better deals.
There's just no consistent one stop shopping site for the best price on all hotels.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:43 AM
xxx3

I've been using quikbook and hoteldiscounts.com in my search for good rates in NYC. The former seems to offer lower rates, but the latter is more user-friendly, such as the sit being easier to search and giving room specs etc.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:53 AM
annie

s:
I like orbitz and qixo. Always check the hotels website for internet specials

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:54 AM
s

Thanks you.

Mar 21st, 2002, 11:06 AM
tj

I have used Expedia and found it to be pretty good for airlines, and can be good for hotels, usually I just got recommendations from friends and colleagues. The thing I like is that it is easy to use and makes it easy to combine air, car and hotel.

Many of my colleagues use Priceline for hotels in NY, asking for Midtown Hotel 4 Stars or better and have gotten the Waldorf for $100.

Orbitz looks just like Expedia, who was first? Hotel Discount definately is easier to use then qixo and quikbook.

Qixo has a broad interpretation of location, providing hotels in distant suburbs of a city before the city itself.

Good thread to compare, hope no one is using our resarch to write an article and get paid for it.

Mar 21st, 2002, 11:43 AM
Linda

I have had luck with hotelreservationsnetwork.com

Mar 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
diane

I have used placestostay.com for comparison. I haven't booked online with anyone, butI like the way placestostay is set up.

Mar 21st, 2002, 12:52 PM
arjay

Has anyone booked with travelnow.com - or, more importantly, cancelled one of their pre-paid reservations? I'm thinking of doing so, in favor of saving a few more bucks with P'line, but am very worried about not getting credited for the $700+ that's already been charged to my cc.

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:01 PM
xx

I have booked with travelnow.com and also funtastiktravel.com. Both times i had no trouble getting my hotel refunded.Just keep your cancellation #, and watch that it is credited on your credit card.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:21 PM
x

I checked several sites lately for a trip to Orlando and Expedia had the best rates for the time we are going...

Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:39 PM
r-travels

I've had very good luck with both www.lodging.com and www.funtastiktravel.com (no x in my e-ddress)

Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:52 PM
Tammy

Beware of internet rates. Often times they are not the lowest rate available. I recently returned from Orlando where the Fairfield was listed at $69 on the website and by calling Marriott's 800 number, I was able to get a rate for $49.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:27 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree that there is no "one-size-fits-all" approach. I've used quikbook with good results and occasionally even found a deal on Hotel Reservations Network, though they are far less consistent for lowest rates. Sometimes, it makes sense to book through the chain's site directly and this is particularly true if you may have to make changes later on. Finally, I've attached through the airline reservation system for good rates at times. You just have to check out the alternatives and the more you have a feel for what a good rate is in a particular destination, the easier it will be for you to identify. Priceline is getting good reports from some, but I have no personal experience with that mode.