Reload this Page >

Where, oh where, did the goggles go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Swim Parent

My two kids swim competitively, ages 7 and 9. Over the course of the summer, they have lost well over $100 worth of quality goggles. ("I don't know. I just can't find them, Mom!") I have tried threatening them that I'm not buying any more (never seems like a long time), making them use their allowance (seems to make no difference), confiscating their goggles when they leave the water (sometimes I forget).

Has anyone figured out a way to deal with this? And I know, it isn't strictly a travel question, so think of it as a beach/recreation question.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Emmy

Stop buying quality goggles. Buy one for each kid at the begging of the season and the kids buy the replacements. Stick to the policy. Sounds like the kids are in charge here.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:06 AM
sss

A no brainer no new goggles

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:09 AM
S

Why spend money on quality stuff for someone else to use? If you're fairly certain your kids are going to lose it, don't spend anymore money on it than you're willing to throw away.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Not saying

My whole family swims, and the cost of lost goggles does add up. We lost three pairs just this week! We write our last name in permanent marker on the strap, and they still never make it to the lost and found. Sometimes they are on the edge of the pool one minute (so kid can go on the diving board), and then gone the next. I think people misappropriate unattended goggles, frankly.

I consider it a cost of swimming, like buying new swim suits, and I just do the best I can to keep track of them. And for the non-swimmers out there, I consider "quality" goggles to be the no-leak one-piece goggles. Those are $12, so it's not really lavish.

As for giving them one pair and threatening not to replace them, it hardly seems like a threat you can keep. My kids will sit out practice if they don't have goggles, or borrow them another kid's goggles. Doesn't seem right to send a kid to a team sporting event without the proper equipment.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Fishinthewater

I swim almost every day; when I'm not wearing the goggles, they are around my neck, so I can just pull them back up.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:47 AM
amy

my daughter is 8 and has swam swim team for four years and same thing - we went through 5 pairs this year. I write her name all over the goggles in permanent ink and they still disappear. I have never found one pair in lost or found or ever had one pair returned. law of averages says that most of them have to be lost at our pool but still NEVER are they found. The other pools we compete against have friends who check lost and found for me and still none to be found. I don't get it.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:48 AM
curious

They are with the missing socks!!!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Karen

Swim Parent, I could have written your message 10 years ago! Now that Son #1 is in College, and the assistant coach of the swim team he first joined as a 5-year-old many years ago, and Son #2 is about to enter his last year of swimming as a high school senior, I would like to tell you that it does finally get better. Somehow, miraculously, the day comes when one pair of goggles makes it through the whole season, or at least until they actually break. At one point in the boys' earlier swimming days, though, I was buying those goggles by the dozen from Kiefer's swimming catalog!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:19 AM
tough-mom

Geez, I bet the first time one has to forfeit because he isn't prepared with the proper equipment, he will learn to take better care of stuff that you paid for. Let him face the wrath of the coach that day. A lesson in life. What incentive does he have to keep track of them, mom is always there to buy more.

Either that or let him use his allowance - no skin off YOUR nose that way.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 11:57 AM
mom2five

tough-mom-I applaud you!!! Too bad there aren't more parents like you!!! Most parents today are mamby-pamby wimps who coddle their darlings wayyy too much...

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 12:02 PM
xxx

It IS possible to swim without goggles!!! Signed, a former collegiate competetive swimmer.