Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where is a good place to snorkel in the United States?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:15 AM
Lisa

I'm looking for a good place within the continental united states to go on vacation. I'd like a place that has some good snorkeling and a decent beach. Someone suggested to me the Florida Keys. Does anyone else have any ideas for a 9 day vacation that would keep me busy and interested?

Thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:21 AM
J T Kirk

Really, the ONLY place to snorkel is the Keys. It's the only place in the continental US that has a reef in shallow, clear water. Now, skin diving, that's something different, but since you're interested in snorkelling . . .

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:26 AM
rqf

Snorkling is okay in the Keys. The beaches, however, are not very good.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
Marty

I give up. Have we all lost our friggin minds? Where to snorkle in the US??? What were you expecting to hear...Iowa? JHC you people!

How do you manage to get dressed in the morning?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:20 AM
x,m

Wasnt this question just asked a couple of days ago?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:11 PM
Patty

I agree - the snorkeling in the keys is good but decent beaches are hard to find.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:39 AM
jgj

usvi

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:15 AM
jj

St. John's or Atlanta in a pollution alert.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:49 AM
Ellen

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that you are trying to use miles or a voucher that is only good in the 'continental usa'. If that is the case, you need to either find something else to do & forget snorkeling. OR, fly to Miami, FL., then take a cruise ship or an inexpensive flt. to the Bahamas. You will find excellent snorkeling there. The ships to the Bahamasleave out of port of miami daily take about 3 hrs or so. I believe the cost is very reasonable.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:32 AM
Sandra

Lisa - We've enjoyed snorkeling at the John Pennecamp State Park in Key Largo, FL. It's an underwater St. Park and has many options on snorkeling. Years ago we took our kids going out on a boat exursion from the park. They took you out a couple of miles to the reef and the snorkeling was outstanding. Lots of fish, turtles and different types of coral. I think we visited there at least 3 or 4 times. It was always a favorite part of our Florida vacations to visit the grandparents.

As for nine days - you could split your time around different areas of Florida especially if you want a great beach vacation. We spent some time up near St. Petes' Beach/Treasure Island recently and thought the beaches were great there.

Sandra

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:27 AM
Laurie

The Florida Keys are the best choice you have. It is a 154 mile drive from Miami to Key West with more opportunities to snorkel/dive than you'll ever beable to do in your time frame. I lived in Key West and have snorkeled(?) many times up and down the keys and it is wonderful. Try it

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:40 AM
XXX

I think I read somewhere that you could snorkle in Lake Powell and that it was beautiful!