Reload this Page >

Where in the World is Kokomo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 1997, 05:01 AM
Caren

The Beach Boys say it's "off the Florida Keys".
Is there a Kokomo, or is this just a cool name for a beach song?

Old May 24th, 1997, 12:04 PM
Nancy

It's a small town in Indiana--not much there!!

Old May 25th, 1997, 10:59 AM
John H. Chrobot

The Beach Boys never knew a place like Kokomo existed when they wrote their song. They said it just sounded good, it fit in their song.
Kokomo is an hour straight north of Indianapolis in the state of Indiana.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 01:35 AM
Beach Boys Fan

I'm humming the tune this morning.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 02:14 AM
Robert

Kokomo is on one of the Florida Keys, I and is at the Holiday Isle Resort. I believe it's close to Marathon Key. Stayed there and the video the Beach Boys made was made by a small, palm-thatched roof bar overlooking their small beach. During Spring Break it's party time for the college students(I'm 53). I'm pretty sure that's where they recorded their video, which appeared on MTV. Robert

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 03:32 AM
Dave

Kokomo also features prominently in the original Blues Brothers movie. Although I suspect the Country/Western bar was intended to be derogatory, it actually captures the spirit of the town quite well.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 03:43 AM
Larry

Robert- The "Kokomo" at Holiday Isle in the Florida Keys is a tiny (about maybe 10 square yards) man made island set 10 feet off Holiday Isle's waterfront and connected by a little bridge. I am pretty sure they built it as a tourist gimmick AFTER the Beach Boy's song came out. Still, gotta' love Holiday Isle!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 04:16 AM
Robert

Larry; Yep, I remember that little island, right behind the rustic, two-story bar/nightclub, by the beach. It is a kinda non-descript tiny "island." I stayed further donw th road, and stopped in the Holiday Isle with my wife and daughter, and it was during spring break. Wow, what a hopping place it is!! Wine(beer), women and song. Robert

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 04:45 AM
Teddy

Kokomo is in Indiana. I know it best from a 20 year old Playboy issue called Girls from Kokomo. One gal from there, I believe her name was Dianna Main, was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Hal

Don't know if it's THE Kokomo, but I know there is a "Kokomo Beach" behind the Casa Marina in Key West. Could be it was named that after the song came out, I don't know.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 03:50 PM
moibelle

Girls from Kokomo Indiana in an issue of Playboy-you're kidding, right? I live in Marion IN, near Kokomo, and find that hard to believe.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Teddy

It's all true. Kept the issue in deep storage.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:02 PM
David Lytle

My hometown, Kokomo, Indiana is 50 miles due north of Indianapolis. It has a population that hovers around 45,000 people. Flat terrain, production plants (GM, Delco-Delphi, Daimler-Chrylser, a defunct steel mill), and strip malls.

It is true about the girls of Kokomo issue. One of the shoots (clothed) took place during one of my high school's basketball games in 1983.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:54 AM
Teddy

I remember the pose. Beautiful girl. She did a nude shot as well. Probably the second prettiest girl in the series.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:57 AM
kal

I always thought Kokomo, Margaritaville, Aloha, et al were "states of mind"...You always have it with you, ya just forget to go there every once in awhile! Kind of like Oz. (Not the prison on HBO)>
Aloha
Kal

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:45 PM
Cindy

Once again, I'm with Kal! Those places are just a state of mind to take your worries away. What could be better to think of than warm beaches, sun, sand and fun?

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 11:26 AM
Teddy

I am looking at the Kokomo issue right now dated April, 1981. Also in Playboy is a photo shoot of Rita Jenrette (ex-wife of a corrupt, jailed politician of the era), an interview of Ed Asner and John Lennon's last words regarding the construction of scores of Beatles' songs, a useful source. Karen Woods is the girl Mr. Lytle mentions. She is pictured at a basketball game and also provides a picture of several very delicious curves. In fact, she hhas long, brown hair that reaches down to her beautiful fanny.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:35 PM
David Lytle

Oops, sorry. I got the year wrong.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 01:31 PM
surfin' safari

Sorry to distract you from the Playboy spread on Kokomo, Indiana but, there is also a Kokomo on Maui, which might better fit in with the Beach Boys' song, although I'm sure didn't have it in mind.

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Rebecca

Isn't there one connected with Jamaica? Somewhere out there I heard they went to a Kokomo Island when they were vacationing in Jamaica.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -