Search

Where in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Gabriellw

Where in Hawaii?

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Hawaii. We've read about all the islands and while everything sounds wonderful, we still can't figure out how to do this trip! Where should we go for a solid combination of beaches, volcanoes and other outdoor adventures? And can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel? Should we splurge for a resort, or will we be content with a hotel? Do we need to rent a car? Please advise!

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Sam

You need a good Hawaii travel agent.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:49 PM
JJJ

Ummmmm, the answers to all your questions are in the archives. Try a text search, then write back with specific q's.
As for my opinion, I prefer two islands for a 7-10 day trip, either Maui/Kauai or Maui/Big Island. Yes, get a car, you'll use it and need it.
What's 'reasonable' by your definition? Sure resorts are better than limited service hotels. Depends on your budget, though.
Virtually everything great about Hawaii can be enjoyed by visiting the island pairs above.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 09:54 AM
juli

Volcanoes, beaches and outdoor adventures sounds like the Big Island would be your best bet. Up on the Kohala coast the Outrigger is about as reasonable a hotel/condo as you will find; down around Kona there are many, many mid-priced hotels and condos. You will need a car. Kauai lacks volcanoes but has lots to offer; Oahu has more in the outdoor adventure department than you'd think; ask other posters about Maui, I'm not a fan. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Roy

Hi,What ever you do stay away from the royal kona resort in Kona.A very good and reasonable hotel is the Keahou Hotel
down Ali drive.Has a nice snorkleing beach next to it.Very nice place to stay.
Roy

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Roy

Should have a car on the big island.Places are far between.Best way is to stay in bed and breakfast places all around the island that way you will not spend a lot of time traveling back and forth to Kona.A lot of attractions,worth seeing,are one to two hours from Kona.There is a ring of B&Bs
around the island and you can spend as much time as you want seeing everything.
Hapuna beach has a world class beach and hotel price up there but not too bad.Stay at volcano,stay at Hilo and see Akaka Falls and other attractions around there like the gardens very beautiful.I could go on,but I've been long enough have a good trip.
Roy Traffic getting heavy we had lot of trouble getting places last year.CAREFUL