Search

Where in Florida?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in Florida?

Considering going to Orlando for the week btwn Christmas & New Years (while employer is closed). We're a couple in our 30s and really just looking to go somewhere a bit warmer that has affordable flights from Atlantic Canada.

Some good flights to:
- Jacksonville and considering doing that with St. Augustine
- Miami
- West Palm Beach
- Tampa

I know very little about where to go in Florida and was hoping someone could make some suggestions on which place.

This will be a budget trip for us so we'd prefer a place that didn't require a rental car.

We are active, would like to kayak, take an airboat ride, good food, architecture, history, visit a good museum for half a day, window shopping. Not into extreme sports (bungee jumping, parachuting). Would love to WDW but since it's a budget trip we'll save that for another time.

In Orlando, I found these that could keep us busy for the week: Kennedy Space Centre,
Sea World, Universal Studio, Winter Park, tiffany lamp place, Busch Gardens, Universal Islands of Adventure. Don't know if it's crazy trying to go to these during Christmas break or whether they're big enough so people space out?

Sorry for the vague post. Any suggestions on which city? Any help greatly appreciated!

Enjoy-la!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Sorry that should have started "Considering going to Florida".

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:13 AM

The further south you go, the warmer it will be.

Rental cars in Florida are cheap. It will be far cheaper to rent a car for the week than to pay to get around without a car.

If you insist on not renting a car, then I'd pick something on the coast near Miami. Maybe Fort Lauderdale-by-the Sea.

I have no idea how you can get to the places you listed around Orlando without a car.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Jacksonville may be a little chilly that time of December. Also, it's not on the Beach if that is important. Jacksonville Beach is closer to the coast. I would skip Jacksonville and spend that time on some of the other places that you named.

Sea World is a blast if you like aquariums, dolphins, whales, and such as that. That's easily one full day. You could easily start at St Augustine, see the Kennedy Space Center, then go over to the Sea World/Orlando area and then on to Tampa and Busch Gardens.

Rent a car. There's really no other way to get about easily.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:44 AM
GoTravel

My suggestion is to fly into Miami and rent a car and head to Key West. While it isn't cheap over the holidays, keep looking and you should find a good last minute deal.

Sign up for Travel Zoos Top 20 and start stalking www.BiddingforTravel.com and www.BetterBidding.com for priceline and hotwire deals.

Most of South Florida and especially Orlando will be absolutely packed over the holidays.

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM

For goodness sake don't go to Jacksonville, especially in Dec/Jan. Take GoTravel's advice and do the FL Keys.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Central Florida can go either way as far as the weather is concerned at Christmas time. It can be quite warm during the day and cool at night, or hot, or cold.... It is much warmer than north Florida though. There is so much in our area here that you like to do - 3 state parks where you can scuba, kayak, hike, birdwatch and see the manatees...many museums including the Morse Museum of Art (Tiffany and so much more than lamps!), Park Avenue in Winter Park where there all sorts of shops and wonderful restaurants... several historical museums....air boat rides a short distance away...just so much of what you said you wanted to do. Anywhere that you talked about you would need a car unless you stay at an all inclusive type place for big bucks. This is one of the most expensive times to travel to just about anywhere so not sure if best for you and a budget trip!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:54 AM

You mentioned Tampa....how about St Pete? It's a nice area with lots to do and if you don't want to drive a lot there is a trolley that runs constantly along the beach. Lots of fun little beach restaurants, bars, etc. I went to the Ft Myers area every year for 22 years to visit Mom, and you just never know about weather.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thx a mint for all the replies. This is exactly what I was hoping for so I could even know where to start to research.

Comments like starrsville about Orlando without a car is what I needed to know (I'd seen on some vrbo listings that there was a shuttle so I wasn't sure if there was a municipal/chamber of commerce shuttle that goes to these places, etc. obviously not).

GoTravel, I lurked some threads here before posting and some had said to stay away from Key West over the holidays because of the crowds. But, I'll look into that option. A preliminary scan shows that might be a more relaxing holiday! Maybe spending the last nite or 2 in Miami to avoid stress over missing the flight.

And the St. Pete's suggestion wasn't even on my radar, just from ignorance. That looks good too.

Thx again Fodorites - you make it a great board!

Enjoy-la!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:14 AM
cd

klam chowder
We will be in Florida that week also. This is what we found. Accomodations are reasonable but airfare is not. There are many good fares to Florida but if you read the small print that week is a black out on good fares so you will probably be paying full fares. We rented a 3 bedroom condo so that all of our kids could come from different states and we could all be together for a few days, but because of the high fares, one set cannot make it.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I would choose South Florida over Orlando....First, it is likely to be much warmer. Second, the Orlando attractions will be packed during that school break week.

St. Pete/Tampa is also a good suggestion. Or, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or the Keys. Or, perhaps Sanibel/Captiva area.

Ft. Lauderdale has a nice shopping/strolling/dining area around Los Olas (I haven't been there in a few years so others may have more up-to-date info). There are also several museums, the beach and it is an easy day trip to Everglades/airboat.

Hope this helps! Have fun!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

cd, so sorry to hear one set won't make it - the holidays are so special because of family

Reminds me of last year's Christmas - four siblings & their families who are scattered all over, travelled to "mom's". Everyone still buys gifts for everyone in my family, and the siblings who don't make it home ship their gifts to "mom's", as a central depot.

There are only 4 "little ones", my nephews & nieces. Needless to say with the number of people, they get spoiled. The gifts literally encircled the tree and were stacked at least 3 ft out.

As we gathered to open gifts on Christmas Day, the kids were all excited. My little nephew came up to me with his eyes all aglow and said, "The best part of Christmas is having everyone here!". I gave him a great big hug - to hide my tearing up!

I guess it's all relative. Airfares are very expensive in Canada. For instance you can get a fare with a few days notice for $300 to fly coast to coast (say BOS to SFO) in the States, but in Canada (Halifax to Vancouver) it costs $750! So $400-$500 is still affordable. Yes, airfare in Cda is one of my biggest peeves...

Thx a mint for the extra suggestions, fun4all4 - I'm looking into all the options now!

Enjoy-la!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:11 AM

If you want to avoid crowds and still get warm weather, I'd take the West Coast of Florida from Tampa down to Naples. I'd consider Sanibel Island or Marco Island.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Just remember that Disney is not even in Orlando. There is so much more than all that in this area...history, great food, wonderful state parks, nature...
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Christmas week in Orlando is a madhouse. I know, I lived there 18 years and now live 100 miles north of it. Plus, you can easily have cold weather. All of the suggestions have been good but personally I'd think about the Gulf Coast below Tampa-St. Pete for warmer weather.