Where for my 30th Bday?

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where for my 30th Bday?

Ok so next year, exactly 12 months away I'll be 30. I have traveled before but I've NEVER had a single bday event so I kinda want to make this big. Here's where it gets depressing:

1. I'm single

2. I have a flexible job/life but my travel buddy (cousin) doesn't and already has a South Pacific trip planned for that time with her beau

3. All of my girlfriends live far/are married/kids/broke/whatever, etc.

So I'm thinking it may be a tad hard to find a partner to go anywhere. I mean I could go with my mom but that sucks right? Anyways, so in the event that this will be for me, by me, 'with' me...where do you suggest I go? And it can be anywhere.

BTW- I live in Northern New England and because of a relationship with a dude in the Bahamas, I've been there a bazillion times so those places are excluded.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Check out this site

http://www.gutsywomentravel.com/
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Are you up for a spa vacation? Easy to do by yourself since the whole point is relaxation...

I've been in this position myself before and it is challenging.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM

I am turning 30 next month and like you am single and most of my friends are attached or are on a budget...I am going to Vegas for my 30th, just me and my oldest friend!

Think positive you will find someone to go away with and you will have a fabulous birthday...it's not a requirement it's a must!!!

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:50 AM
ltt

need more info. how long do you want to go for? how much can you spend? do you want a beach/luxury/cruise vacation or adventure (i.e. experiencing the canadian rocky mountains; checking out the mayan ruins in belize and then relaxing on a beach on a caye; explore the greek islands?) what's depressing about being single, having the opportunity to go on a trip, meet new people, experience new things? many people travel solo and it's great. you get to meet new people...do what ever you want without consulting other people...not depressing at all in my opinion. if you want to travel in a group, i highly recommend contiki tours.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Well, Charlene, you might have invited kllh on your trip. That would be an education - although a wicked sense of humour would be essential!!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM

It's not "depressing" it's exciting! You can go anywhere YOU want to go and do anything YOU want to do. Where in the world have you always wanted to go, but were too busy/too poor/too afraid, etc.? Hawaii? Paris? Australia? Costa Rica? Make a list and then figure out what your time frame and budget will allow.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Well if the wallet god would permit, I'd be off to the Seychelles or South Korea in a heart beat. But I'm thinking that may not be 100% do-able.

My trip plans would be something like from Nov. 13, Thur, to Nov. 18, Tues. I've been to Europe, the Caribbean, going to Canada in a few weeks and several places in the US. I'd like Mexico but not sure I'd feel safe alone.

Budget? I'm willing to spend a grand. $500 for a first class seat, $500 pocket money.

And yes anyone who wants to invite me or something I'm open...I'm pretty funny, smart, nerdy, fairly attractive and likable. Hence, why I'm single.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM
dmlove

I'm willing to spend a grand. $500 for a first class seat, $500 pocket money.

Are you planning to sleep on the beach ?

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Ok, lol. no. But I am going to get a first class seat but should have enough skymiles to cover that anyway. So just leaving the flite out of it I'll have $1000 in my pocket.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM

So you've only got 5 days and a limited budget. That limits your choices to places that are a fairly short flight, imho. You can't really go to Korea or Australia on such a short time frame or budget.

You say you've been to the Caribbean but what about Bermuda? (Which is not actually in the Caribbean.) And you say you've been to Canada, but have you been to Quebec City and Montreal? I hear wonderful things about both cities, European feel, etc., but a much shorter flight than Europe.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM

When is your birthday? Might sound crazy, I celebrated last birthday at the GTG with Fodorites and it was great fun! (of course with the family too on another day)
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Another suggestion: Costa Rica. A friend of mine just went there solo and loved it. She said it was nearly as beautiful as Hawaii, but much closer (from East Coast, anyway) and MUCH cheaper. And she felt perfectly safe and met lots of other Americans there so she wasn't too lonely either.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Okay, don't be depressed. I met my husband in my early 30s, and he's great, so there's hope. And the good news is you're not tied down by anything, so you have lots of options. Congrats on turning 30!

We just got back from our second trip to Costa Rica and loved it - might be a good option for you. The wildlife is amazing, and there are active volcanoes, waterfalls - food is cheap - guess it depends on how adventurous you're feeling, but we really enjoy CR.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Actually, I like traveling with my mom. My first trip to Italy was supposed to be me by myself, so I could visit friends who were there studying. But then I thought, why not bring my mom? We had a blast, and have been taking at least 1 trip together a year ever since.

So, if you ask me, traveling with my mom doesn't suck. It rules! (and I am my own person! I don't know why I have to justify that...)

As for destination, I think it would be interesting to take a trip up to Iceland. I've never been myself, but it's different, you can go to spa if you want to, and it'll be memorable.

You don't tell us where you've been in Europe, but I can see being in cities like Rome or Paris by myself. Or Prague. Your money will certainly go a little further there (in Prague).
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I enjoyed my travels with my mom. We did Yellowstone, Alaska, Hawaii, CA coast, Reno/ Tahoe and Las Vegas (twice!). I was 40 to 47 when we were doing our "trippin". I'm not sure if I would of enjoyed myself as much at 30 with my mom, although it's worth talking with your mom about it. FYI, my 23 year old daughter and I (I'm 50 ish) are going for a long weekend to NYC next month.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Ok. Where I've been:

Canada: Montreal, Quebec City, PEI, Nova Scotia, etc.

US: The entire east coast from IL, onwards and MN and UT.

Caribbean: Bahamas, Jamaica, Grenada, Haiti, Trini, St. Kitts

Europe: Paris, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, GB

And I can put on more cash. I just wanted it to be short and sweet but really cool. I don't think I need to be away for 2 weeks. 5 days is good for me.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM

The CA coastal region is usually great weather wise in October. You can give it more of a city focus or a small town/ coastal focus. Let me know if you are interested and I (and others) can pipe in.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Short and sweet but "really cool"? I can think of several places I'd love to spend 5 days. If you've only seen the east coast of the US, there is a lot left to see.

Close(ish) to home: New Orleans, Charleston, San Francisco
City sights: Barcelona, Prague, Amsterdam, Rome
Scenery/adventure: Costa Rica, Santorini/Mykonos
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Real quick: My feeling is that you MUST make your 30th SPECIAL...you only turn 30 once. Traveling alone is difficult but meeting new people is what travel is all about. There are certain musts: ITALY: you could see Rome/Amalfi/Capri in 5 whirlwind days); Venice, (Tuscany...wine harvesting in October)/ PARIS (you've already been)/MACCHU PICCHU (check weather then)/EGYPT (with a friend)/GREEK ISLANDS: many, Santorini/Mykonos if you only have 5 days/MORROCCO (with a friend--used to be like stepping into the Old Testament 25 years ago), Fez & Marrakesh if you only have 5 days and it's easy to get there from N. England/COSTA RICA (reasonably priced, LOTS to do, easy from East). Of course there are many other spectacular places, but you might get some great ideas from the book "1000 Places to See Before You Die". I've given that book to many people to inspire them. Happy planning!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -