Reload this Page >

Where Do You NY'ers Vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
Nina

You NY'ers know where we are going, how about you?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:11 AM
annie

Nina:
Lancaster, PA in May
Las Vegas in June
Myrtle Beach in September
London in November.

Whew.....looks like I'm going to be a bit busy!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
John

Nina:
Washington DC and Cape May
JOHN

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:16 AM
RnR

Well, in absentia, if I were to take a classy ny'er on vacation, here are some possibles I might offer: LA, to see the Getty and wander around the movie stars' homes, see the upsurge in restaurants, plus get some sand between the toes out at Malibu; Venice, of course, it's a great way to learn a new bus system and you never mind waiting ... you can practice vaporetta while you do; paris, naturally, but only during the cool weather when there's a fire ... I've put off lunch at Taillevent for too long; and buenos aires, when it calms down, to try the tango at Guillermo's studio in La Boca; or far east for the Chaya Praya River in Bkk, for some serious shopping, stones and silk. Ah, I think that might do it for starters. What fun work!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Tricia

Nina:
Utah, Arizona & Nevada w/family in June/July.
Florida w/just hubby in November.
Already thinking about spring break 2003! Considering the Caribbean w/kids. Who knows!

Should I add that I'm from "upstate" NY?? Way, way upstate!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:33 AM
sss

FIRST OF ALL WE ARE EVERYWHERE BUT ME THIS IS WHERE I GO.
Easy hop skip and a jump to Italy, England, Ireland, bit longer to middle east when I had summers off as a teacher, Turkey, Egypt, Israel. Currently I do the long haul to Hawaii.

Domestic travel hop down to Washington D.C now and again, New England Skiing in winter mostly Vermont with some trips to New Hampshire.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Nina

I live in San Francisco and asked the question because we rarely vacation in California. You all have some neat trips planned. RnR, I'm with you for Paris, but we prefer April, May or September.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:41 AM
Owen O'Neill

May - weekend in Chicago

Late May to June - 9 days in Belize

Late June - Bluegrass fest in Telluride CO

Late June to early July - Jazz Fest in Saratoga Springs

Late August through Labor Day - WA, Vancouver BC and finish the summer with Bumbershoot fest in Seattle

Best part of all is that thanks to the Internet and careful planning I can do this travel on a relatively limited budget!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Nina

I have to admit that we West Coasters have NY airplane envy. I cry as I compare the airfares from here to Europe, and the bargain prices I see from NY.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Jess

This summer:
2 weeks in Italy in May
4th of July with relatives in Houston Chicago-maybe, relatives
various weekends in rural NJ
Last summer I spent some time in Barcelona and had the 4th in San Diego. I tend to travel more in the winter, mostly because of the holidays.
Friends' weddings are the number 1 reason for travel right now--I've been to 3 outside of NY this past year, in Puerto Rico, Chicago and San Diego.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:52 AM
RnR

Nina, Nina - you live in SF - now I know why I like you, lol. Coming out to SF for business, a few days, then south along the coast to Big Sur, central areas for wine, and finally into Malibu for four days. Are this still ok? La Folie, Aqua, Compton Place, Fringale, Zax, Boulevard, Plouf, Swan Oyster ... and any new ones, preferably small ones, you'd suggest? Yes, P in the spring or fall ... and this past December was not too bad at all. I will take P at any time ... and V is very nice in winter, early spring or fall, but summers, no. Have a good day. Now, where can I find an available Ny'er who travels ... perhaps an ad in the Times.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:56 AM
chuck

Nina,

interesting post--especially your observation about Californians not vacationing in California, and an apparent parallel with New Yorkers not vacationing in New York.

I had to laugh about several New Yorkers' longing for Paris. My wife & I visited for the first time last May and I was sorely disappointed. I enjoyed all the things I expected to like about Paris--great museums, visually stunning, good food, the French Open, nice weather. But the utter lack of basic friendliness on the part of nearly all service workers, shopkeepers, and waiters we encountered somewhat spoiled our trip.

For a world-class city that knows what hospitality is, I'll take NYC any day. Strange as it may sound, this southerner has really enjoyed each of several trips to the big apple.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:38 AM
ttt

TTT

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
Tricia

Hi again Nina,
I just assumed you were from the East coast since you vacation at Myrtle Beach, SC during the summer months.
Anyway, I forgot to add that every year during the last week of July my family does "Harborfest". It's a 4 day festival that celebrates the Oswego Harbor, the city of Oswego, NY and Lake Ontario. The entire city is filled with free music at several different city parks. Some along the Oswego river, at the Fort Ontario, along the lake. There's a trolley that runs between parks. There's always international food booths and a wide array of music, crafts, etc. This year the opening act is Eddie Money. It's much fun with the last night being a huge display of fireworks, sponsored by Gucci Brothers. They are incredible!
Anyone looking for a great time of sun and fun should check it out. Tricia

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:27 PM
Lorraine

Nevis in the Caribbean

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
xx

Tricia, nina with the little "n" is from the east coast.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:09 PM
ManhattanGuy

New Orleans, South Beach and Cape Cod once a year with friends, plus one or two other spots that change every year. In 2002, it's southern England (Brighton) and Los Angeles.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
luke

I'm off to Turkey this May and to Thailand and the Philippines this summer.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Nina

Chuck, Sorry that you didn't enjoy Paris as much as we have on our (and I _love_ to say this), numerous trips there.

We were there on 9/11 and when people in restaurants etc, heard us speak and realized that we were Americans, they went out of their way to tell us that their hearts were with us.

For the most part, we have always been treated well there, but of course in any large city, you will find rudeness and arogance, especially in restaurants.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
cindy

This jealous New Yorker doesn't seem to have as much vacation time as you do!

As far as New Yorkers not vacationing in NY State (and Californians not vacationing in California), I think part of that might be semantics. I often
go upstate (yeah, I know, "what exactly does upstate mean?" , but I'll avoid that issue for now) for a 2, occasionally 3 day weekend, but I don't count it as part of my "vacation". If I don't have to take vacation days from work, I don't count it that way.
Also, we do a lot of day trips to places that people might actually "vacation" (much of the Hudson Valley, for example) to save some money on the lodging costs. Since these places are more easily accessible, we don't always need to spend as much time as we would at a further place because we can always go back.
When I go to California or to Europe, you bet I stay a week to 10 days just to 'amortize" the travel time and expense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -