Where can you go with an 8 month old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to look for vacation options for 2008. I am now miraculously pregnant with our first child, and he/she is due to arrive in early November. We like to really travel.

Between the two of us, we have been throughout Italy, Greece, Turkey, Spain, France, Germany, Denmark, Hawaii, California, and Arizona and Southern Utah. We both like art, history and stunning natural settings. This year we went to Savannah and Charleston, and plan to go to Newport. (Our budget is too tight this year for a babymoon in Europe. We had spent nearly $15,000 in fertility treatment, and we still have to buy products for our new baby.)

I was wondering if taking an Alaskan cruise would be a good option with a six month old. I do not want to take a beach vacation with a eight month old because I worry about their delicate skin. I just thought that an Alaskan cruise would require little activity since you spend a lot of time on the ship, but you still get terrific sightseeing on deck.

Does anyone have any ideas for travel with an eight month old? Are there other places we could visit?
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:36 AM
GoTravel

A cruise really isn't the best vacation for parents with a baby that young because you will end up spending a lot of time in your cabin. On the other hand, if you get a nice cabin and just want to watch the Alaskan scenery, it could be a home run.

At that age, I would pick what mom and dad want to do because the baby will not know or care.

One tip; get a condo or suite or you'll end up going to bed when baby does, etc.

Congrats!

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:39 AM

I know a lot of people that take babies to the beach, and at 8 mos old baby won't be very mobile--perhaps rolling but not much else. You can rent or purchase a little beach tent (can I say LLBean?) and make camp with a porta crib, even a very small inflatable pool that baby can play in. There are physical (rather than chemical) sunblocks to apply, too. Baby can nap, play, and do baby stuff and you can enjoy the beach. Babies are tiring...naps are good.

I didn't like to take trips that limited my access to medical care when my kids were very young. Babies get sick, and having medical care I felt comfortable with was paramount to me when vacationing. A nurse at a resort in Mexico just wasn't good enough.

Congratulations.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:42 AM

First, congratulations! When our daughter was 4 mo old, we spent a couple of weeks in Colorado (Frisco to be exact). Rented a condo and did lots of day trips etc. Worked out great. Just took things easy and were VERY flexible, which I think is a real key. We did drive and at the time that made more sense in our situation than flying. Would agree that beach doesn't sound like the best idea. Can't really tell you about a cruise, but it would seem that may be more hassle than its worth with a 8 mo old - assuming there aren't age limitations (and I don't know whether there are or not). The various cruise lines should be able to give you specific info on how or if they accommodate infants. I would also think a cruise might give you less flexibility but that's just my thought.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Should've added that I agree with beenthere about medical care. One of the things we took into account in deciding to take a low key vacation that first time was availability of medical facilities - infant health issues can be very unpredictable.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You can really go just about anywhere w/ a baby that age. A cruise would probably be my last choice.

But beach, lakeside, Europe, a city trip - all are very doable. Renting a condo/apartment/cabin is a bit easier since you'd have a kitchen. But you will be using a stroller/carier - so the exact destination isn't that important.

LOTS of people go to Europe w/ tiny kids and live to tell the tale. In fact it is a bit easier to travel w/ a baby than a toddler who can run aound and get into "stuff"
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Brutforce

Um, the same places you can go without, except perhaps for someplace like Las Vegas - which I would deem as child inappropriate. Both of our children have been to the beach inside of 6 weeks from birth. You just have to keep them covered up, happy & hydrated. Breast feeding makes that pretty easy (lol). What about the California Coast or Taos/Santa Fe ?

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:18 AM

A lot of children that age are VERY active. Some are even walking a little. Most want to get down and crawl. Would you want your child to crawl around on the floor of a hotel? Could you keep him/her in a stroller all day?

Some eight months old (and younger) travel well. Most do not. Some still require long daytime naps. They want to feed themselves and you haven't lived until you try feeding one in a public place. They like to play in their food and throw it.

And you don't know what fun is until you try to find a place to change a full nasty diaper.

The cruise at six months would be my choice. You have more control over things at that age. They develop so fast that what you could do then would be impossible two months later.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

We go to the beach a lot because we have a house in the Outer Banks, NC. We usually go in the off-off season, which is fine with me because I like the sun and would feel deprived if I could not enjoy a beach vacation with limited sun time.

I am revising any idea of a cruise. I am thinking of going to Europe for a week. Maybe, Barcelona or London. I will talk it over with DH and see what he thinks. Both cities have top rate medical facilities, in case of emergencies.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:46 AM
granniem

Congrats on the baby, I am having a grand daughter in June, so I feel your excitement.

That being said you can bring a baby that age anyplace, they are less trouble than toddlers

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Hey, a European vacation is great, but since you have been to so many places, you might just want to slow down and do the stateside condo. Lots of places to choose from. Driving a couple of hours may be easier than flying.

Take the money you save and put it in a college fund. You may think that this is crazy advice while you're still pregnant! However, current tuition at many private schools is approaching $200,000 for four years, and that kind of money comes from diligent, early saving.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Congrats on the baby! I'd suggest vacationing when your baby is between the ages of 6 weeks and 6 months. As soon as the baby can crawl (between 6 - 9 months typically), it becomes much more difficult, as he/she is always wanting OUT of the stroller. At least, this was my experience. Have fun wherever you go. Choose somewhere you really want to go, because soon you will be choosing destination & activities with the kids in mind.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Like you, we love to travel and have started to encourage the same enjoyement in our boys by taking them on a variety of trips.

As most have said, you can really go just about anywhere with a baby. Most likely, he (?) will be crawling by 8 months which is definitely a factor. Both of our boys (3 years / 10 month) have traveled extensively and we've had fun with them in a variety of places at all ages.

I would recommend finding a location where you will be able to stay put for the entire trip - you don't want to be packing up and moving every couple of nights. I've never been on a cruise, so can't comment on that, but it doesn't appeal to me with a baby for some reason...

If you like the beach and are wanting a beach vacation - go for it. My parents live at the beach and our boys have been going since they were infants. You can put sunscreen on them starting at 6 months old and an 8 month old will probably love the sand and the water.

The biggest adjustment to traveling with kids is remembering to slow down! You won't be able to "do it all" anymore, but it's so fun to have a baby around to enjoy the trip with!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I would not reco a cruise with that age baby for several reasons, many noted above:

You may need access to medical care - which can be iffy on a boat

Some babies develop seasickness - but can;t tell if that's their problem - and you won;t know in advance

Most babies that are are VERY active - wanting to crawl everywhere - and a cruise cabin is very restricting - and public areas not really baby friendly (And do check - some cruises have age restrictions - and Alaska cruises often have off boat activities you won;t want to do with a baby (whole day tours or whale watching in rafts)

I would go for renting a cottage or condo (beach, mountains, even a city is OK). This will give you more room, access to a fridge so you can do drinks/snacks for baby whenever you want, give baby plenty of room to roam around PLUS let you organze activities at your own pace on a day by day basis - incluidng playgrounds for little kids.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Congratulations! In your shoes if Nov. is the only time you can travel, I'd look for somewhere with moderate to warm temps so you can be outside. London is outrageously expensive with the current exchange rate and weather will be iffy. Barcelona could be nice. There is both beach and city there.

I'd also look to US destinations that interest you.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM

hi flyingmaltese,
I cannot encourage you enough to hold off on making firm plans until after your baby comes. I have an 11 month old and so far the only trips we have taken have been road trips to see family. We are planning to take our son to the beach this fall and that will be our first "family vacation." Even the best of babies are a ton of work and they don't always sleep well when they are away from home. Travel is fabuolous but just know that once your beautiful baby comes, a vacation is going to look so much different than before you had him/her. You need to schedule your day around feedings and naps and possible crankiness. Whatever you do, don't overplan or you will be hugely disappointed.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Whwn my daughter was 8 months old (almost 22 years ago!). We did a great road trip from San Jose, CA to Vancouver & Victoria BC, Cananda. We took breaks and enjoyed ourselves taking almost 2 weeks. She was a good road tripping baby, and now is a road tripping young adult.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM

We have an 11 month old. We have taken him away from home on trips at 6wks, 3 months, 5 months, 6 months, 9 months and we leave for Montreal/QC on his 1st bday for 10 days.

He has flown, Chicago Trains, taken the DC Metro, gone to football games (college and Pro) MLB, NHL, and stayed in various sized hotel rooms and friends/relatives homes.

Every age is slightly different. Mine was finally crawling the last time around and it was the smallest hotel room yet! I just spread out a blanket. Dh worked during the day I had to entertain baby alone away from home with a limited collection of toys and such. IF you don't have them on a very strict schedule and they learn to sleep anywhere/any place--then they will go with the flow. Get your baby used to some sort of front/sling carrier from the beginning. Mine outgrew the bjorn at 7 months. I bought a KELTY BACKPACK with the frame internal so it can be checked on an airplane and this is how he is going to see Canada next month. Not even sure if we are going to take our folding stroller (highly reommended--we have a Combi ~$100 has a harness 5 pt type system and lays almost flat for naps. Most of the cheaper travel strollers didn't lay flat or only had a waist belt (not shoulder).

I say go where YOU want to go and would be able to carry a baby with you becaus at that age they won't care...the next few vacations after that--it will be much more baby dictated. But I also think if you find kid related activities wherever you go--you will be fine. They don't have to change where you go--you just make adjustments to get there/what you see when you are there.

And my kid only messes with his cheerios at public places and I feed him with a spoon so there really isn't any MESS or slinging food happening when we go out in public!

Also they can wear sunscreen after 6 months of age.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Congratulations FM! What wonderful news for you and your husband. Babies are truly miracles.

Our grandson is 6 months now and we are planning a trip to Spain with him this summer. I can't wait. I took his mother (my daughter everywhere including 3 different continents before she was 12) You will be fine. The beach would be a better choice for me over a cruise because I'm a germ aphobic and I've heard so much lately about the troubles the cruiselines are having with illness, but that's me.

Babies can easily go to the beach just do lots of sunblock and the baby tent or an umbrella. You'll be fine - relax and enjoy every minute!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I vote with the renting a beach house people above!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -