Search

Where and how.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where and how.

Help!! I am taking my parents to see the Grand Canyon in either sept. or oct.2008 for 2 weeks, but in those two weeks dad wants to travel around and see as much as he can. Problem is we need to pick a home base because we are using up 2 weeks of our time share. we have already looked at sedona pines resort in sedona which offers day trips to grand canyon, but I was curious if anyone knew of other towns that it would be easy enough to just go to the gc and visit or even stay overnight. Our 2nd choice is maybe new mexico but how far is that from the gc? We do not want any glitz so we will stay away from vegas but we do want activities, no snow, no high mountains and the best travel routes and airports would be nice to know.Any suggestions. We have two weeks to see as much as we can with as little driving as possible and preferably use our timeshare homebase to sleep most of the nights. Thanks for anyones helap and GOD BLESS!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM

You may want to re-submit your question with a more descriptive heading. Otherwise, people will not know what you are referring to.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM

I would choose Flagstaff as your home base instead of Sedona. New Mexico is way too far for day trips. From Flagstaff, you can take day trips to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, Sunset Crater, and other interesting areas. I'm sorry, but I'm not a big Sedona fan. My parents lived there for years, but I never felt the attraction.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I am of two minds for Sedona.

I could very easily skip the town. In my opinion it's a very small town with T-shirt shops, art galleries and restaurants that close at 9PM.

However, the surrounding setting cannot be beat.

If you want to spend a couple of days doing the local attractions such as easy hikes, Pink Jeep, Jerome and a few others, then fine. I'd stay there a few days.

Otherwise....
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:04 AM

There's an RCI timeshare in Flagstaff where my son and DIL stayed last summer. It used to be a Fairfield but don't know what it is now. They thought it was a very nice TS and a better location than Sedona for what they wanted to do and see. They went to Page for a day trip, which is a little harder to do from Sedona.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:10 AM

I would choose Flagstaff also, and then you can do a day trip from there to Sedona/ Jerome. As well as GC and Painted Desert.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:43 AM

You might want to use this site: http://www.mapquest.com/ to get a sense of distances.