COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

When to start traveling after having a baby.

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM
jmp
Original Poster

When to start traveling after having a baby.

I have a 10 week old son - I love to travel (and my husband and I will need a vacation soon!) I just wanted to hear about experiences travelling with newborns - taking them on planes, where to go and is it worth it to try to take a vacation with a baby who is less than a year old?

We are probably looking to go away when he is 6 months old (feb).

Thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:01 PM

We didn't fly when my son was very tiny but we did drive.
I thought traveling was easier when he was an infant, when he was not mobile
While all they do is eat and sleep is a good time to take them places
My daughter flew long flights by the time she was 2. She has always been a real trooper and never fussed about sitting for a long time, she would go right to sleep. My son had the problems with ear aches when landing..you need to know how to deal with all of that.
Maybe a short flight to begin with, no more than 2-3 hours?
Congratulations
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Hi jmp, first, congratulations with your new child. If you google, you'll find several books let's say on amazon.com about travelling with a baby or child. You can do it! Have a wonderful time. Lucky kid to start so young. I was an adult before I got my wings.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM

6 months is a great time to travel with a baby. Once they start crawling, though, it's a whole new ballgame as they generally don't like to be confined to a car seat or stroller.

You know your baby better than anyone. If he gets overstimulated easily it will be more challenging than if he's pretty easygoing. I'd keep the plane ride relatively short if possible. At that age he won't know or care where you are, so go someplace you'd like to go, assuming it's appropriate to bring babies. Most here will say no Las Vegas!
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:10 PM
wow

Definitely worth it! Remember babies sleep a lot...& they don't really care where they sleep as long as they are comfortable! We took our first plane trip when our son was almost 4 mos old. He slept the entire flight (1st flight 2 hours & then a 45 minute connector flight).
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:15 PM

While it is true that some babies only eat and sleep, that was not true with mine - they were high maintenance babies (and much lower maintenance kids). I flew monthly with our son from the time he was 3 months old because of family health crisis. It was workable with a lot of planning and patience, but it was not fun.

We found after kids, where to travel became less important than logistics of travel. Getting there - if we flew, non-stop only. Accomodations - suite so we did not wake baby and vice versa. At least a refrigerator and microwave once they start eating people food - eating out with a small child 3 meals/day gets very old after a while. We preferred cottage or condo rentals to hotels when they were very small.

As far as you needing a vacation, travel with an infant did not really count as a vacation for us. Everything is more work in unfamiliar surroundings. All the stuff you have to haul is overwhelming. A weekend away from the baby if you have childcare arrangement you are very comfortable with (like a grandmother) is a vacation. Taking a compatible relative along is also an option.

As far as where to go, when I see posts here looking for vacation activities for kids under the age of 2, I am amazed. They are generally happy anywhere that is interesting visually and where they get attention from their parents.

No, all that said, our kids are now 14 and 18 years old and we have been traveling with them since they were born. As they got older, style of travel changed. By the time they were around 10 they were able to take real adult vacations with long flights, museums and shows, etc. So congratulations and know that travel does not end with kids - it just changes. And it is a wonderful experience to show your kids the world.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Hi! jmp. We just returned from a 10 day wedding trip to Kauai from Alabama. I have a three month old and a eighteen month old. We planned ahead for every emergency, therefore, everything was very smooth. Sophia, 3MO. was fantastic. Slept, pooped and ate. We gave her a bottle at take-off and landing especially for the ear pressure. The 18 mo. old was good as well. I had packed goodies for each hour of the trip. Amelia was entertained by them, as well the food we packed. It was a breeze, due only to the preplanning. We will be flying again in six months to Italy. Now, that could be another story. Good luck! Sharon
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM

I pulled the following from babycenter.com for you:

"Ideally, your baby should be at least 2 to 3 months old before he flies. By then, his immune system will be stronger and better able to resist infection, you'll have settled into a routine, and you'll both be comfortable with breast- or bottle-feeding. My biggest concern about flying with babies is exposing them to the recirculated air, since airplanes are real germfests, loaded with viruses and irritants. If you have a choice, it's a good idea to wait until your baby has built up immunity to common germs before flying. As well as being more vulnerable to infection, younger babies often require more aggressive treatment if they do catch something."

It was written by Lane France, MD
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Two things, Needing a vacation already and the boy is ten weeks? It only gets harder.

Second, As Gail wrote, travel with newborns is not vacation. Save the money abd stress and just get a babysitter for a night out. Plenty of time to travel later.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:23 AM

My brother and SIL took my nephew to South America was he was 6 weeks old. Said that trip was very easy, and now it's so much harder to travel with him at 2 years old. They're not taking any more trips for at least 2 more years!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:45 AM

We flew to NM when our son was 6 weeks old. He did great. Slept most of the time & even when we went out to eat he would just lay in the infant seat. Not so when he was a few months older. The main worry now is keeping a baby healthy with the recirculated air.

Where are you planning to go? A lot depends on where you go& what you plan to do. At 6 months old they are a lot more vocal, alert & wanting to move around. It might not be the most relaxing time but a lot depends on the temperament of your baby.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:50 AM

As the Mom of 5 children (the youngest now 15 years old) I must concur with most of the other posters. Four of my five babies did not believe in sleep, they waited until they were teens to figure that out. Planning is the most important factor in travel with children, IMHO. And listen, cranky kids/babies don't understand that YOU don't mind traveling for many hours to see the Sistine Chapel and for crying out loud, it cost me a fortune to do this and by God, we will see the Chapel and stop crying and fussing or I'm going to scream. (If you catch my drift.) This is when you start seeing others around you beginning to stare. So, you must be flexable and plan carefully. And then you can enjoy traveling with your family (lucky kids).
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:07 AM
GoTravel

Maybe you could start with day trips?

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:26 AM
dln

One good thing about babies--they're small and portable! We took our two everywhere with us, starting with a trip to the UK when our first-born was just four months old. And car trips! Dozens of them, most being well over ten hours long. Our kids did great.

I will say, though, that it becomes evident fairly early on whether or not your child is a "traveller." We were blessed with babies who didn't mind. We have friends, on the other hand, who couldn't drive even an hour without major howling and terror. They thought long and hard before taking vacations, believe me! (They employed grandparents as sitters when they were desperate to get away, and that worked well.)

One last note--our babies are now teenagers and they are awful to travel with, won't go anywhere with us, so take advantage if you can of early childhood!! Travel memories with young'uns are so precious.

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Until 6 months my son hated riding in the car so much he would scream so loud I thought my head would explode. As soon as that passed we began taking weekend trips to Santa Cruz or somewhere fun, easy, and not too far from home. 3 hours drive was about our limit. We tried to stay with friends so we had some help and just played the days by ear. Baby Bjorn and cheerios were always our favorite companions. At about 13 months we took our first plane trip. Nursed him for take-off and landing and had an absolute ball at an all-inclusive in the Mayan Riviera. We have done longer car trips and stayed in many hotels since then and are now planning a trip to Paris.
If you prepare enough you'll be fine. Notice I said prepare and not plan? Plans are the enemy of all baby/parent relationships.
You may want to take your first trip before you introduce baby food so you ONLY have to worry about diapers, wipes, toys, medicines, milk/formula, bottles, clothes, strollers, carseats.............
It's a lot of packing but totally worth it. GO go go.
trish
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 07:39 AM

I remember my dad and stepmother loading up my 2 WEEK OLD sister for a flight up to Upstate New York for a vacation. The plane was a single engine Cessna so it did not fly very high and alltitude and cabin pressure are not problems. The cabin was a little small for cleaning up little sister after she discharged those things that little babies discharge. I remember leaning on the door to hard for the comfort of my stepmother trying to get away from this process. All in all the family enjoyed the getaway
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Give it a shot. Probably for a weekend to start since you don't want to spend tons of money or time to find out your little guy is a homebody. As others have said some kids travel well and others make travel hell (within my family I have a few of each type). Don't let anyone except your son scare you off. Have a great time and I hope your sense of adventure rubs off on him.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:47 AM
MaureenB

I agree with previous posters. Each baby is different, and impeccable planning is a must.
I found with my two kids that almost the younger the better for airplane travelling. Once they get mobile, it's a whole new world. And when they start on 'solid' foods, it's also a new challenge. Little babies can be a breeze with just bottle feeding or nursing-- of course, barring problems like colic, etc.
I think 10-weeks sounds like a great age, if your son is relatively easy-going. You're smart to research it. Then go for it!

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:51 AM

I have little ones age 2 and 3 so was in the same situation not too long ago. I think 6mos is fine. My big thing is having plenty of space where we stay so dh and I have some nice alone time once the kids are asleep. This is easy some places that rent condos/houses but I found it to be a challenge in cities. That is, until we discovered Residence Inn. We get a 2 bedroom suite and they provide a pack and play free of charge. You get a full kitchen (for bottles, etc) and free breakfast. The bedrooms are real separate bedrooms (not the pullout couch like Embassy Suites) and a lot of the living rooms have fireplaces. It's like your own little apt but you can stay for just one night. They are owned by Marriott so you can get Marriott Rewards Points as well.