Search

When docents lie

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When docents lie

I was just recalling a trip to Newport RI Breakers Mansion. We were in the "Music Room" and a woman asked about the pock marks on the floor. The docent without blinking said it was due to the ladies of the era's shoe heels. I rolled my eyes but didn't correct him that of course it was from cello's or bases. Hello we're in a music room. He just made the shat up.

Any good docent lies you've encountered?
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:36 PM

A friend used to be a tour guide and she said they always lied. I live in neighborhood where the tour guides used to have microphones and loud speakers and they often make up crap.

One time we went to something called Bethpage Restoration Village, a colonial mess. I walked ahead of my wife and her sister and went to the hat maker, and asked if the wooden block was the origin of the term blockhead. The fake colonist said he did not know.

Ten minutes later when my wife entered the hat maker's cabin blockhead became part of the spiel.
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It really is unfortunate when the most memorable thing about a room is what somebody said about it.
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Sorry you chose to misinterpret or put a spin on my post. It wasn't the most memorable thing about the room, it was simply a quirky sidebar of a very impressive room. Docents make stuff up. I chose not to call the man out that day. Thought it would be a fun topic.
Old May 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM

During an architecture cruise in Chicago a few years ago, the guide said the Prudential Building was designed by the same architect as the World Trade Center in NYC. When I asked if he was sure afterward, he said yes but I knew Yamasaki created only one building in the city and it wasn't that one.

While visiting the Benjamin Harrison home, the guide said Harrison completed the map of the continental US. I told him that wasn't possible because he left office in 1893 and Utah didn't become a state until 1896; Oklahoma joined in 1907 and New Mexico and Arizona in 1912.
Old May 9th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now I think back on some of the docent tours I have taken with suspect.

Iolani Palace comes to mind. A story was told to us how the Palace re-acquired some of the original furniture. Now I am skeptical.
Old May 9th, 2016, 06:44 PM

It isn't just docents.
Some of the stuff tour guides tell to our visitors is just complete and total hogwash.
http://articles.philly.com/2007-04-2...t-philadelphia
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0828/p20s01-ussc.html
Old May 9th, 2016, 07:50 PM

I am a docent at our zoo. We carry special postcards with us. If a visitor asks a question that we don't know the answer to - we give them the card. They write the question and self address it. We turn them on and they get answered and mailed to the visitor. We aren't supposed to guess or make things up. Does that mean it never happens? I can't speak to everyone, but most of our docents do make use of the cards. We spend 6 months in training and learn lots but can't answer some of the very creative questions posed.
Old May 9th, 2016, 08:38 PM

On the flip side.

We had the most knowledgeable and pleasant docent at ST John's the Divine on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. We usual shun tours because of the rote manner in which they spew information, but we certainly glad we went with her.
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:13 AM

Somebody's Law says never to attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence [or poor training].

To accuse a docent of lying implies a deliberate malice that certainly did not exist.

It is unwarranted.
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:31 AM

Some folks believe that you shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story (not the experts here of course).
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:56 AM

Now, take this the wrong way, but ...

How do you know your version is the accurate one?
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:45 AM

The play "Lettice & Lovage" giving increasingly embellished tours of a manor house, with increasingly enthusiastic tourists.
Old May 10th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

vincenzo, I am quite familiar of the marks left by the end pin of those instruments on a floor. After many performances they leave a certain pattern that cannot be missed. Enjoying all the responses and stories.
Old May 10th, 2016, 07:50 AM

I'm with Ackis on this one--seems like a pretty mean spirited thread. We have had wonderful docents at the Supreme Court and Library of Congress and Scottish Rite Temple in DC in recent years, without whom our experiences of these places would have been much poorer. I'd hate to see anyone "shun" tour guides on the grounds that Fodorgarchs say They Lie.
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:19 AM

I am always curious to see what will raise the ire of some fodorites. I gues we all have our hot buttons. I don't think it was meant to be a mean spirited post just a "huh I wonder if anyone else has heard any doozies?" To be honest , I often wonder how much of what we're told on a good tour is fact and how much is embellishment. I have been on a couple that were so boring , they couldn't possibly have been made up. Having said that, I assume most tour guides or docents have more information than I do.

Imdonehere- we are taking the vertical tour at St. John's in June. I hope it's a good one. I thought my kids might like the whole standing on a buttress thing. They aren't fond of tours either.
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:56 AM

abram, you beat me to it. All I could think of was the delightful Lettice and Lovage!
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM

One of my friends is an Iolani Palace docent. We had lunch yesterday, and I asked her about this. She said they have very strict rules against making up your own history. Also says the furniture tales are true; and the fact that they are so amazing is why they are including in the tours.
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:43 AM

I have a higher expectation for accuracy from docents at cultural institutions than for guides working for commercial tours.

Thank you to all those docents who, in sharing their knowledge, enriched my travel experiences.

HTtY
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Cjar

I will see if any my friends remember her name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -