wheelchair accesibile things to do in midtown Manhatten

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my 88year old mom to see the Christmas show at Radio Cty Music Hall next friday, 2pm show. Our train arrives around 8:30am. She will be using a wheelchair but she can walk very short distances. Any ideas?
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM

What are your (and her) interests?

Perhaps you can suggest the things you had hoped to do and we can advise how to make them happen.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 05:06 AM

There are a few attractions in and around Rockefeller Center.

Perhaps the Museum of Modern Art. It's only a few blocks from Radio City and is wheelchair accessible (as are virtually all museums and attractions in NYC).

The Top of the Rock may also be accessible (I'm not completely sure ... you do generally walk up a staircase to get to the first set of elevators, but I'm sure there's got to be an elevator up there. You can buy a combo ticket to TOTR and MOMA, but TOTR is outdoors, so only go if it's a nice day. It is open, though you can see something from the first covered area. Anyway, I'd check into that at least.

St. Patrick's is nearby if you want to see a church.

See if the NBC Experience (the studio tour) is wheelchair accessible. It very well may not be since the building is so old.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Top of the Rock has an elevator from the lobby area (around the corner to the right). You may need to get the doorperson to call it for you. I've always taken it with whomever I'm with. This elevator takes you up one floor to the actual waiting area.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM

You should contact Big Apple Greeters about their access program. http://bigapplegreeter.org/03-what_i...is_access.html Even if it's not enough warning for them to offer help, they can give you some ideas/info. If she's in a wheelchair, despite being able to walk a bit, you still need to tend to the wheelchair so not sure her ability to walk is a help. Maybe Big Apple Greeters can tell you whether any of the tours are accessible. kingofnyc.com is able to accomodate a wheelchair if you contact them in advance. http://marvelousmanhattantours.com/n...-tour/faq.html
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 09:03 AM

You need to realize that many subway stations don;t have wheelchair access - and even those that do have elevators are often not working. So your first challenge will be to get from the train up to the street (ask the conductor on your train how to get up the several flights of stairs (assuming Penn station) from the train platform to the ticket level and then the street. After that use cab (if the wheelchairs folds into the trunk) or city bus (which all "kneel" and have a place to secure a wheelchair).
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM

If you are coming on Amtrak, ask one of the porters for help as you get off the train to get you to the elevators/escalators. The Porter should be able to get you to stree level.

From there you can walk a block to Macy's and tour the floor, make sure you go in on the 7th Ave entrance as there are stairs between the Men's section and the main floor.

From there you can walk up (with Mom in the chair) to see Times Square, from there you can grab a cab to Rock Center and see some of the shops there, get some lunch, see the skaters and walk around the corner to Radio City.

After the show, walk a bit west and get a cab heading downtown, that way you are out of the way of all the others getting out of the show wanting a cab, so walk over to 7th Ave and hail a cab there.

ENJOY!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM

The OP didn't mention which train station, but to help out in this vein . . .

Arriving at Grand Central, there are few stars to deal with. The most frequently-used train platforms are on the same level as the terminal.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Agree - Grand Cenral is farily easy with a wheelchair - most platfroms have ramps. Penn Station is a bear - and you ust have someone help you find the various elevators from one level to another.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the helpful suggestions. We will be arriving at Penn Station, so i really appreciate the advice for that part of our trip.

We used to go to NYC fairly often but as mom got older we haven't gone. She saw a tv commercial for the RCMH Christmas show and said "I wish I could do that again" ... and so I'm determined to make it happen! RCHM has great accessibility assistance, but i have to figure out how to get the most of our day in New York.

Top of the Rock sounds interesting if the weather is good. I'll check out the link mclaurie provided (thanks)