Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and Who's Your Favorite Travel Companion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've been busy the past couple of weekends with friends visiting my lake front Indiana home. I've missed the "poison" thread.

Over the 4th I had 6 overnight guests for 6 nights. Last weekend I had 21 people for the day on Saturday and half spent the night. I love the big weekends with lots of friends but it's nice they're over. Now it'll be small groups for the rest of this summer's weekends. Gee where are all these people in the dead of winter when the lake's frozen over?

Anyway. My poison tonight is Smithwick's from Marvella the beer keg refrigerator. A Guiness product it's dark but not so stout as regular Guiness. Newly available in keg form in my area it's a nice change.

My favorite travel companion is a roommate from college. He lives in St Louis so we don't see each other that much. We get along incredibly well when we travel. He lets me do all the planning then he goes along for the ride. Sicily and Sardinia in October, when (dang!) I'll miss both the Boston and NYC GTG's. New Orleans in February for a week after that.

Hi Statia and sorry about infringing upon your copyright.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Evenin' indy,

Hopefully Statia will drop by here tonight; I've missed this thread as well.

Isn't it fun to host guests? We've had a slew of visitors this summer, too. We thought for sure once we moved away from San Diego the visits would slow down...maybe they are coming because they want to see us after all, lol.

My poison tonight was a glass of Ruffino Orvieto while watching the brief but intense thunderstorm here in Eastern Oklahoma.

My favorite travel companion? Why, my DH, of course! (Don't tell him this, but I had a darned good time in Paris with my girlfriend Becky, so she's a close second.) I should say I love to travel with my kids, too. They're 3 and 5, and it's so fun to see the world (well, so far just the States) through their eyes.

We're going to Denver in about a week, stopping along the way to see a rodeo (woo-hoo!). The kids can't wait.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM

My poison will be some Amity Ice Wine in a little bit. It will be a good ending to a tiring day. DD and I were at the Nordstrom sale at 7am this morning when they opened, lol! Even she commented that shopping is a sport

It warmed up quite a bit here today...low 90's which is quite warm for Portland. As soon as I get DS off to go ice skating with all the neighborhood boys, I plan on sitting out under the pergola with my wine. Wisteria covers most of the pergola, so it is nice and shady, and very pretty

Next Friday I will be enjoying my poison at SunRiver Resort with lots of family. There are numerous poisons at this annual gathering, and it is always fun to see what people bring. I am taking the easy way out and bringing margaritas in a bucket, cosmopolitans in a bucket, and mojitos in a bucket. Sort of "tacky meets vacation" style!

indy--We have had a lot of visitors this summer also. It is nice, but it is also nice when they leave.

Jocelyn--I had a hard time deciding between my dh and my best friend, like you. My dh and the kids are great to travel with, but there is something about going with an old girlfriend too. I think it just might be a toss up!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Hi All! Little Statia has left the island

No poison tonight, just twizzlers and Mike and Ikes as we settle down to watch an old Vincent Price movie.

For a few summers, prior to the arrival of our kids, we used to drive down to Myrtle Beach and stay at the Teakwood Motel with our close friends. We always had a blast. We drank too much, shopped too much, and laughed our heads off. Those were the good old days

Now that our kids are almost all grown, we should really do something together again.

Due to my work schedule, we have had a very quiet summer. In August, I'll have to make up for lost time and host some BBQs with our friends.

Have a nice evening!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Thanks for starting the thread in my absence, Inday. No copyright infrigment, my dear, trust me. Sounds like you've been quite the busy one! I can relate to company being wonderful, but it also being kind of nice when it's over and life is back to normal. I was so exhausted from the last month of DH's daughter being here that I was in bed at 5 p.m. last night....yes 5 p.m.....and didn't get up until 7 a.m. this morning. Whew, was I tired!

mms, glad you got the VF cd. Trust me, Little Statia looked at me like I was nuts the first year I played it for her, but this year she had it on every time I walked in the living room...and knew most of the words! Same will probably happen to you eventually and that's when you'll go "whooooa...too weird."

seetheworld, yes Little Statia left the island last Sunday. We certainly enjoyed our time with her, and miss her as well. I'll post more about our last weekened together in St. Maarten on next week's poison thread.

My favorite travel companion is, of course, my DH. He didn't do much traveling before we got together and I think I've trained him well. He's easy on the eyes, takes mishaps in stride, likes to allow me to make the itineraries even though I let him help a little and he leaves the navigating up to me since he knows I study beforehand and enjoy it. We definitely make a good travel team since we do each take our share of responsibilities during trips (i.e. packing, laundry, dishes, etc.).

A very close second is my other most frequent travel companion, who is my best girlfriend. I always tell her that she is probably the only person I could have ever lived with when I was single. She's as organized as I am!

Hope everyone had a nice evening last night and I plan to be here, and awake, for next week's thread.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:56 AM

I love this thread too, let's keep it regular!

I dear Fodorite who I was supposed to meet today for a day of fun in San Francisco had to cancel due to family emergency

So tonight I will be poisoning myself with 2001 Chardonnay by Belvedee in Healdsburg.

Long live the "Bargain Bank" store chain and its low wine price
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Sorry my my above typo, "Indy." Guess I'm still not quite awake yet.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Good heavens...maybe I should just go back to bed, or else quit trying to multi-task on the computer.