Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and Where are You Traveling to Next? 3/4/05 Edition.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way did anyone else notice today was 3, 4, 5? I wonder what Nostradamus has to say about that. Wow, another BTW my spell check "knows" the word Nostradamus. Weird.

I'm getting it started. Statia seems to be MIA. Ever since she got that scooter she seems to have become a bit, shall we say, unreliable in the "Poison Post" arena.

(Statia I hope you're tooling about your island having a FABULOUS time!)

My poison is of course a VO Manhattan, elixir of the gods.

I have a quickie week-ender tomorrow. I am taking the Dad-ster, my older brother, his wife, 2 nieces and a nephew to downtown Indy for a hotel stay.

Shopping at Circle Centre mall. Why do teenagers always need new shoes?

Dinner at Buca di Beppo. Not my favorite but the kids love it.

Comedy Sportz on Mass. Ave. for G rated improv comedy.

I won't be around next week. I leave Thursday for 10 glorious days in France. Foie gras, red wine, escargot, sweetbreads and all the other lovely things I can't find on a menu in Indiana.

Where are you headed?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Hi Indy,

I just travelled home from the gym! Taking my newfound commitment to fitness seriously so far...

My poison up 'til now has been water, but I think I'll treat myself to a Vodka tonic shortly. There's not many calories in that, right?

Looking forward to hearing about your France trip at the GTG in May!!

My next vacation isn't 'til June in the Keys. We've been invited to join friends at their timeshare, so all I've really gotta figure out is where to eat and drink and activities this time.

Statia might be in TX helping with the sale of her Mom's house...not sure.

Trish
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:54 PM

My poison will hopefully be a good glass of chardonay. I am in my oldestdaughters dorm while she is getting ready to go out with me.(dallas) It is Mothers weekend at her sorority. so I just flew in for that.

I am going to Connecticut at the end of the month - that is my next trip!
3/4/5/!!!!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Still waiting for my DH to arrive home. Then off to the diner for a burger and seltzer - pretty boring, I know.

We leave next week for Florida. A few days in New Port Richey visiting family and then off to Sarasota for some pampering at the Ritz. I can't wait to warm up a bit...just too cold in New York the last few days. My poison will most likely be some tropical drink at the poolside bar. Cheers!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Eva

Just poured a glass of Bogle chardonnay. Seems to be my favorite lately.

I did notice the date thing as I wrote out a check today.

Started back at the gym on Monday and now I can't move. Aggravated a disc problem. Getting old I guess.

Travelling to Oahu, BI and Kauai in July. This is my first trip to Hawaii and I CAN'T WAIT!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:59 PM

My poison is crystal light, lol! Not exactly exciting but I like it.

Next trip is in 2 weeks and we head down to the San Francisco area to visit family and enjoy the area. Will take the boring but faster way down, and on the way home we will go up hwy 101 and spend some time in the redwoods. DH and I have not done that in a long time, so figured it was time to take the kids and let them explore.

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Poison is liquid detergent for clean clothes for next travel - in the morning to Portland (OR) for a day's catching-up with old (sorry, mature) friends and various tax-free activities including food, shopping, and did I mention food.

Benson hotel, $58 on Priceline, probably dinner tomorrow at dear old Papa H's (oh hell, skip dinner... what's for dessert?) and brekkies Sunday at Bread & Ink. Nothing hip, trendy or transient, just comfort calories and how.

Will report back if anything amazing occurs. Like Oregon drivers that use their turnsignals. Oh sure, that'll happen...
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM

LOL Gardyloo! Yes, those turn signals We may pass you in downtown tomorrow.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM
JJ5

A shot of Bailey's instead of desert. Chicken on the grill for dinner, and it was delicious. It's raining in Chicago, but I have a covered patio and I cook outside regardless.

I just got home from cruise (first) to the Caribbean and a stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Lots of work to do and several big family gatherings here at my house, lots more work- and then by Easter we will put the pier in and it will be nirvana at the lake in Michigan off and on for 4 or 5 months. (4 days off, 4 days on) best of both worlds. I'm going to use my new snorkel equipment and see what I can see in my Michigan wetlands.

Also Detroit (first time Comerica Park) in June. Fall, I am seriously considering Germany/Italy. But it may get beat out by a couple of other trips, one to LV- and the Europe put off until Feb/March 2006. If my brother who is in Iraq right now wants to meet me in Italy or Sicily spur of the moment, though I am going. Having my passport renewed next week.

To health and happiness!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Staying at home this weekend and cooking to satisfy a daughter-home-from-college need for homecooked food during her spring break.

Next weekend, however, we will drive to Charleston, SC, for the weekend. Just thinking about it soothes my soul.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM

My poison tonight is hot chocolate...DH works nights, so I am lazing on the couch watching t.v., being happy the work week is over!

3 trips coming up from now through fall...Florida in April with my cousin to visit my grandfather (yearly trip), Vegas for a long weekend in June (surprise for my husband's birthday), and Hawaii for 2 weeks in August (our first anniversary). Can't wait for all that sunshine and warm weather
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
emd

The poison is diet coke w/lime; I have seven 12 yr old girls here celebrating my daughter's birthday. We are done w/lazertag, pizza, cake, presents, and now have T-shirts to paint. Then I'm going to bed!

I'm on the way to Japan w/my son next Saturday morning for two wks. Next Friday night I'll be finished packing and trying to sleep, thinking about how early we have to get up to get to the airport, how I probably packed too much, is there anything I forgot, are they going to give away my special seats that I called so early to get, is it going to snow in Tokyo, etc. The stuff travel dreams are made of....
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:55 PM
bamakelly

Tonight I'm drinking pepto bismol. I seem to have contracted the virus my DS had earlier this week. Eeeew.

Two weeks from today I'll be in Miami! My husband's first time to leave the coty in over a year, including holidays, day trips, and anything else you can think of. His job is terribly demanding. I will be so glad to see him get to leave town....and I am really looking forward to Florida sunshine!

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM
bamakelly

Oops...I meant "city"...too much pepto!

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Bourbon Manhattan.

Fill cocktail shaker 1/2 with cracked ice.

Add 3 shots quality bourbon.

Add 1 shot sweet vermouth.

Add bitters to taste.

Stir, do not shake.

Pour golden nectar into large Martini glass with one or two cherries.

Uncomplicated. Classic. Delicious. Lip numbing.

Can substitue rye whiskey for bourbon; dry vermouth (or 1/2 sweet and 1/2 dry vermouth) for the shot of sweet.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Whoa Rufus! You are a man, woman, person (?) after my own heart.

Love the Manhattans here. Tho' I prefer smooth, blended Canadian whiskey.

Oh and shaken not stirred. Not that I'm James Bond but I love the ice chips floating in my glasss...

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:40 PM

I am tons of fun tonight..drinking bottled water. I was planning on going south for Spring Break, but plans are on hold until I see how my brother fares...Our Church has a group going to Poland in October, seriously thinking about going on that one.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Hot cocoa for me.

We have two family trips coming up in the next few weeks:

Driving to San Antonio and Houston to visit friends (including Shamu) and family.

Flying to Sedona to visit my vacationing parents.

I'm having trouble convincing my four year old that although we will be in the desert, we probably won't see any camels.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Howdy Everyone. Thanks for starting the thread Indy.

It's 1 a.m my local time and I've been travling since 4:15 a.m. Houston time yesterday morning, so I'm a bit on the "whopped" side, but enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio nonetheless, as well as some much needed relaxation.

I have spent the last week in Houston helping my mother move, much to her surprise since she had no idea I would show up on her door step at midnight a week ago. I didn't sleep for the first 48 hours I was there and have had about five hours a night since then so pardon me if my keyboard is slurring. Wine aside, I am pure exhausted.

Thank goodness I'm only typing since my voice is pretty far gone with moving during that recent "monsoon" in Houston and the cool weather in the Big H. Other than being flat worn out I feel fine, but seem to have come down with a serious case of laryngitis. My DH thinks my voice is sexy this way, however.

I have so much to catch up on with Fodorites and other friends after being MIA the last week or so (unfortunately not out on the new scooter). With leaving for NYC in nine days I hope I have time to see what's up with everyone's travel plans of late.

Here's to hoping everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi David! My poison is Chateau Montjouan Bordeaux tonight. Does going to the Cincy airport to pick up my daughter count as a trip?

You must come to KY to eat. Foie gras($14.95) at Jonathan's at Gratz Park(menu online at www.gratzparkinn.com listed under starters), escargot at Giuseppes, sweetbreads at Campbell House and red wine free tastings at my local wine shop every weekend! Actually sweetbreads and escargot are available at several area restaurants but only one I know of for the foie gras. If you ever get to Jonathan's you must try the hemp fed beef!

My next real trip is to Cambridge May 18 to help my daughter pack her dorm room for summer. May 21 NYC/NJ Fodor's GTG. May 22 flight to Barcelona.

Rufus - I hope your bourbon is Elijah Craig.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -