Reload this Page >

What's your favorite National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 08:44 AM
MarySue

Would love to hear what your favorite national park is and why. I believe mine is Glacier for the dramatic beauty and wildlife.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Jill

While I think the Grand Canyon is the most awesome thing I've ever seen, I'd probably pick Yellowstone as my favorite park. I find the geisers just fascinating. I also like the variety of wildlife that you can see without hiking into the back country.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:44 PM
hobojo

Yellowstone for the same reasons mentioned above and even though it is crowded, it is nowhere near as crowded as Yosemite.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Bob Brown

I don't have one favorite; instead, I have several. It depends what type of feature you are looking for as your primary attraction. Bear in mind that the term "favorite" leaves the door open to subjective judgement that can depend on numerous factors some of which are only tangentially related to terms like "awesome", "gorgeous", and "stupendous".

Yellowstone certainly is a favorite because there is no other place quite like it on this planet. Then Glacier for its unique position among parks carved from rocks to ancient that they do not bear fossils other than ancient sponge like growths. And finally, Bryce because of its intimate grandeur.
There is one park, however, that is on a scale that cuts across the lines: Mesa Verde. It, too, is one of a kind because it deals primarily in human culture as its primary theme.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 07:02 AM
L Doyle

Think I would go with Chaco (Canyon) Culture Nat'l Historic Park (http://www.nps.gov/chcu/). It's about a 3 hour drive from Albuquerque, NM and is not on the 'beaten path' - meaning the casual 'lookie loos' don't bother to go there. Wonderful Native American ruins and you are still allowed to walk through them. Several lovely hikes and the one above Pueblo Bonito is a fantastic place to sit and meditate while listening to some wood flute music by R Carlos Nakai. Makes it seem almost like you can feel the'old ones'. Have to drive over about 11 miles of dtrt (dusty) roads and is not recommended after a rain. Small Campground and you best bring in your own water because potable water is in short supply. Several nice films at Visitor's Center. Lack of crowds is the highlight.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:37 AM
rob

ARCHES....and the Moab, UT area in general. great hiking/rock climbing/ 4 wheel driving.......

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Judy

Hello all, there was a great article in Arthur Frommers Budget Travel titled "the Other Great National Parks" and it was very informative. It gave groo info on the lesser, but just as lovely nat'l parks(Redwood,and Petrified e.g.). Fyi, Judy

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:12 AM
jimmy

Denali. The wildlife. The vastness. The mountain. The beauty. The bus service.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:37 AM
ellie

The Cape Cod National Seashore is a magical area located close enough to "civilization" so that a good variety of dining, lodging, and shopping are all available nearby. If you own a suitable vehicle, you ought to consider purchasing an oversand driving permit (available at the oversand station at Race Point Beach near Provincetown) which will allow you to view the dunes and visit remote areas of the beach that are not otherwise accessible.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Elisabeth

Chiricahua National Monument in SE Arizona. It's so spectacular, yet so little-known.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:56 PM
ellen griswold

Redwood National Park. The trees, the coast -- the occasional whale....

A close second: Crater National Park. Absolutely breathtaking.

Kids & Sparky's favorite: Yellowstone and Bryce.

Favorite smaller park: Great Sand Dunes

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:57 PM
ellen again

Correction: I meant Crater LAKE National Park.......but you knew that, right??!!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:11 AM
RB

Zion NP in Utah- lodge is well-located and the shuttle service is great, especially if you're doing day hikes.
And the views- what a beautiful place!