Reload this Page >

What's The New Yorker hotel is like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:57 AM
Maxine

My sister, 13yr old neice and I are planning a trip to NY in Ocotober. We have seen the New Yorker hotel in a brochure and seems to be in the right location for us and right price. Has anyone stayed there? Can they recommend it? If not, whats the Jolly Madison like?
Any suggestions on similar hotels will be gratfully received!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 11:54 AM
gail

Maxine, The New Yorker would be good as would the Holiday Inn, which are both in the Theatre District.

I would not recommend the Dolly Madison, (the one off Madison Ave?).

I would suggest checking with a local travel agent on discount room rates, October is at the end of the "high season" so you should be able to get some good prices on hotel rooms.

There is a good Quality Inn on Lexington at 31st. And you can try the Doral on 34th and Lex, which is a suite hotel.

My best suggestion is to talk to your agent first and go from there.

You will have a great time in NY in October, the weater should be very nice and there will be lots of choices for things to do and see.

Enjoy

gail

Old May 23rd, 2000, 12:14 PM
Owen O'Neill

I stayed at the New Yorker last summer and was very impressed. Althought the outside of the building adjacent to the entrance could use a bit of cleaning or a facelift, the public areas inside were spotless and the room was clean, comfortable and very large by NYC standards. They include a daily voucher good for $5 or $6 per person for breakfast in the diner at the corner of the building but I walked a block over to the Starlight (or Skyline?) Diner on 34th just past 8th or 9th and had a huge breakfast very cheap (nice clean place with good food). The location of the New Yorker is very convenient from a tourist perspective in that it's close to Penn Station and immediately adjacent to two subway stops (the A&C line and the 1&9 are right there). The only negative was the fact that check in and check out was a bit slow because it's a big hotel (about 20 minutes for each). The hotel was completely renovated about 2-3 years ago and I'm sure you'll be pleased. Ask for a room above the 20th floor - much quieter up there. I've also stayed at the HoJo on 34th Street just down the block and the Hotel Stanford another block east of 7th Avenue (by Greely Square). In my opinion, the New Yorker is by far the best value of the three and priced comparably (prices at all three usually range from $125-165 per night for one person).

Old May 23rd, 2000, 12:48 PM
TW

I do not know the New Yorker, but Gail doesnt know what she is talking about.

The Doral Park Hotel is an elegant hotel on lower Park Avenue. It is not a suites only hotel, and is quite expensive.

The Dumont Plaza Hotel is an all suites hotel on 34th St btw. Lex and 3rd.

The Jolly Madison Hotel is an elegant hotel owned by an Italian hotel chain in the E 30s.

All of these hotels are in the Murray Hill section of Manhattan. It is a nice centrally located residential neighborhood. It is a much less touristy area than where the New Yorker is located. It is also a short walk or bus ride to the attractions in and around Times Sq.

Old May 24th, 2000, 05:03 AM
Sue

Stayed at the Jolly Madison last year and thought it was great - had a quiet room and its in an excellent neighborhood.

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Owen O'Neill

I agree with TW that Murray Hill is a very nice area to stay in - very quiet at night (by NYC standards)and not so hectic as the midtown/theatre district area. I've stayed there many times when in NYC on business but find it a less convenient location when traveling there as a tourist, only because I find it convenenient to be able to easily stop back in my room to change, freshen up etc. if pounding the pavement all day and evening. Please note that the new Yorker is not really in the theatre district - it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away from most of the Broadway Theatres. If you're not looking for upscale but want clean, comfortable accomodations that are very convenient, I'd recommend the Radio City Apartments. It's a small hotel with suite style rooms that typically include a kitchenette and futon couch/bed in the living room/dining area and a separate bedroom. Not fancy but about the same price or cheaper than the New Yorker and incredibly convenient on 49th Street near 6th Avenue. It's a short block or so from the theatre district, yet it was surprisingly quiet when we stayed there, despite the fact that we were only on the third floor. My daughter (who was 17 at the time) and I stayed there last August and both loved it - very convenient to all public transport and a livelier area at night then Murray Hill or the Penn Station area where the New Yorker is located.

Old May 24th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Maxine

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message. Your advice and comments have been very helpful (I can feel the confusion of trying to find a hotel lifting from my brain!).

Old May 29th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Esme

What brain Muglet? I'm your sister and we hadn't found it last time we looked!!! We're nearly there with New York folks - but we'll probably keep the questions going on the forum until Ocotber!!! Then we'll come back and tell you all about it!!

Esme