How long a drive from Vegas to Phoenix?

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 07:28 AM
Nadine

How long a drive from Vegas to Phoenix?

We have to go to Vegas on business in September. However, I would like to take this opportunity to turn this into a trip to Arizona. Can anyone tell me how long a drive is it from Vegas to Phoenix and what would be the best route? Thanks.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 10:18 AM
jen

I made that drive a few years ago- it's about 5 hours, if I remember correctly. Much of the drive is on a very curvy, two-laned road, so your driving time can increase dramatically in inclement conditions. It's a neat drive though, so if you have the time, I would do it.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 10:04 PM
David

It is about a 5 and a half hour drive. (same time zone in Sept). From Las Vegas you head to Hoover Dam then to Kingman. Take I40 East to the turn off for state route 93 south. Rte 93 is 2 lanes and is very scenic starting about midwat; but a word of caution. it is curvy and sometimes up and down in spots. Lots of people travel it as it is the fastest wa to Phx. I would advise driving it so you get to Phoenix while it is still light. Before reaching Phoenix you come to Wickenberg where 93 ends and then it is another 50-60 miles to phx. If you plan on going to Scottsdale or other locations you need to have more info. So feel free to ask. You can avoid 93 altogether by taking I40 to Flagstaff and then I17 south to Phx. But i wouldnt recommend it as it is quite a bit longer and route 93 is not bad.

Old May 26th, 2000, 12:51 PM
GrogArgh

You want my honest opinion? I think its a GREAT idea to visit ARIZONA when you get to Vegas, BUT you don't have to come as far as Phoenix... I personally would only go as far as Sedona (passing by Flagstaff on the way)...

September is STILL VERY HOT in Phoenix... as matter of fact we were still having 100+F temp in early October!! I remember September flirting around 105 - 110 still... too HOT.

Old May 26th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Amy

Let me say, Sedona is INCREDIBLE!!! It is absolutely beautiful and WAY better than the Grand Canyon.

Old May 29th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Nadine

Dear Grog and Amy.

Thanks for that excellent suggestion. How long would it take to drive from Las Vegas to Sedona? Thanks