Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > What's the difference between Sanibel and Naples?

What's the difference between Sanibel and Naples?

Feb 9th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Jenni

What's the difference between Sanibel and Naples?

I hope no one is laughing at this question! I have never been to the Gulf side of Florida, and am considering a 4 day stay at the Edgewater Beach Resort in Naples for my anniversary.
Have read many posts re: Sanibel & Captiva & Naples.
We would be going in November and enjoy the beach, biking, exploring, good seafood, etc.
Is the Edgewater BR a good choice or should I look further into Sanibel?
Thank you for any replies.

Feb 9th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Carla

Jenni - No matter where you go in Naples is beautiful. Naples is very upscale and beautiful. It is the diamond in the ruff. You will never find a more elegant (expensive) place to stay in Florida. I wouldn't even do any more researching. Have a wonderful time.

Feb 9th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Carol

Topping for Patrick to answer. He live right there in Naples and has some awesome views.

Feb 10th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Lin

I have never been to naples, but heard it was beautiful, but.......sanibel is just the best place in the world to me! I have been going for 8 years now with my family and we all love it, good luck!

Feb 10th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Patrick

Actually this is a very difficult post to answer. The differences are pretty vast. Sanibel is really a tropical island. It is perhaps overcommercialized, yet has been able to maintain an island feel. There is no busy "downtown" area -- instead you need to drive or bicycle from point to point. The beaches are wide, white, and relatively peaceful. If you want to kick back, relax, stroll a beach and pick up shells, and in the evenings drive to a nice restaurant, then it is a great place.

Naples is the second fastest growing "city" in the US, just behind Las Vegas. Many long time residents will say it has lost its charm and is getting too big. Yet, having lived here for 25 years, I feel it has only gotten better. We now have many world class restaurants, a couple of the top resorts in the world, major high end shopping, several major entertainment venues, and yet still have beautiful beaches which are totally open to the public. It is somewhat unique in that virtually the entire beach in the actual city is lined with private homes rather than condominiums and hotels. (The very lovely Edgewater Beach is one of the few exceptions. Yes, Jenni, by all means stay there. And do enjoy a sunset dinner in their top floor dining room which is not open to the public.) Yet no one is allowed to deny access to any part of the beach, which is nice. Great attempts are made to restrict building heights, signage, and architectural syles. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't, but compared to many other cities, the efforts really do show. Four years ago the main downtown street, Fifth Avenue South, was bordering on becoming a ghost town. Shops had moved out, there were no restaurants, and no one went there. After a major study and planning, including the city donating a blocked off street to build a 5.6 million dollar community theatre, and inviting restaurants to include outdoor dining, the street has made an unbelievable turn around. It is the place to be now. "Yuppies" from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale actually even come to Naples for the weekend! Amazing.

I guess for a tourist, the bottom line is "what kind of vacation do you really want"? If eating at great restaurants and doing some major high end splurge shopping are important then stick to Naples. If you merely want to kick back and relax, Sanibel may be the better choice.

Feb 10th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Carol

Thanks Patrick, I knew you would come through for Jenni. Your knowledge is amazing.

Feb 10th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Jenni

Patrick & all:
My husband and I have decided on Naples. After reading many posts, we've chosen the Edgewater Beach Resort. I'll definitely make reservations to dine at the rooftop restaurant and will check out Tommy Bahamas . Naples sounds like a place where we can park the car at the resort, and walk to a restaurant if we so choose. We enjoy walking around new places, instead of just driving.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with a bit of Naple's history.
I appreciate all of the replies!!

Feb 10th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Patrick

You can walk to restaurants from the Edgewater, but you'll probably want to drive and park. It is 24 residential blocks north of 5th Avenue South. Yet other than the Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Resort, it is the closest to the activity and still on the beach. For real walking convenience the best option is the Escalante, but it is not on the beach. One morning you might want to walk just a couple of blocks to the popular First Watch for breakfast, however. Parking for the Third Street South area seems to be impossible, but people don't seem to know about the free public garage on Broad Avenue South just west of Third Street South. It is under the shops than include Jami's and Zazou -- and always seems to have spaces. There is also a big free parking garage adjoining the Sudgen Community Theatre at the corner of 4th Avenue South and 8th Street South for all the 5th Avenue stuff. Tommy Bahamas is a no reservation place, by the way -- just don't have too many rum drinks waiting for a table. Frankly I like it a lot more for lunch than dinner.
Have fun in Naples.

Feb 10th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Tsuther

I'm longing (no lusting!) for Naples, Sanibel and Captiva. We have stayed at Naples Cay (condiminums) south of the Registry Resort, several times. We have also stayed on Captiva at the resort at the end (name escapes me). Stayed in a condo just past the gated entrance, right on the beach. LOVED the restaurants in Naples, but those on Capitva and Sanibel might even be better!!!!!! The only thing we don't like about Sanibel and Captiva is the driving. In Naples you'll find, even if you have to drive, it's a short drive. Enjoy, Jenni! We're in the north, too!

Feb 12th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Patrick

Jenni, I am topping this for your other question about the walking distance from the Edgewater. I didn't realize that this was also your original post, so perhaps you've alread read this -- or maybe it got buried before you got to it. I found it down about 300 messages.

Feb 12th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Jenni

Thanks for topping Patrick!
I had not seen your above post.
Making reservations for the Edgewater tomorrow, getting the flight while the getting is good.
Thanks again for all the replies!

Search this Thread