Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to send money with a teenager on his first spring break trip?

Search

What's the best way to send money with a teenager on his first spring break trip?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son aged 16 1/2 is flying across country to visit his cousins for spring break. He wants to take plenty of money. I do not want to send cash or traveler's checks. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:48 AM

ATM card? He can just take out what he needs when he needs it.

Also, I think Visa(?) has a gift card that looks like a credit card, but can be used anywhere. You buy the card for whatever amount you want, similar to a gift card.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BuffaloGirl this is what I wanted!! The bank would not give him an ATM card or debit card since he is a minor and they couldn't prosecute him for fraudulent activity? I didn't ask further. This giftcard is the ticket!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Remember too, if there is an emergency it is very easy to wire money through Western Union.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:24 AM

The gift card will have fees associated with it. You can get an ATM card for him if it's a joint account with an adult; I did this with my son at 16. An additional advantage of a joint account with ATM card(s) is that you can easily add funds to it if an emergency or unexpected opportunity arises.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:26 AM

And one more advantage of the ATM is that most can also be used as a credit card, so he can cover expenses wtihout carrying actual cash.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Jayne1973

Yes, do watch those gift cards! We gave one as a gift, and the recipient used it at a restaurant, spending all but about $14. The next time he tried to use it, they told him there was no money left on it. I believe that was a Visa card.

We've given our kids our ATM cards when they traveled, even overseas, to get money from ATMs. Also, when my teenage daughter went to Italy, I called our Mastercard and they gladly sent an extra card (with our account number)in her name, which she used for purchasing food and some souveniors. Of course you don't want to use a credit card to get cash or you'll be paying fees out the wazoo!

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
American Express makes a travel funds card. It is a preloaded credit card that has no trace to any account anywhere. You can also reload it from anywhere. It can be used in an ATM machine also. I just ordered one of these for a trip. It is also like a travelers check completely refundable if lost or stolen.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I think the fees associated with the prepaid debit visa/amex gift cards greatly outweigh the benefit.

They charge you for buying it, they have the use of your money until you spend it and then they charge you if you don't use it all right away. They also charge you to use it to withdraw cash.

http://www.bankrate.com/ibd/news/cc/20020506a.asp is a link stating some of the fees.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM

I always give my parents prepaid visa gift cards. They are convenient and easy to use. If you go to visa.com you cn find a list of sellers along with their purchase rates. You have a year to use it until any monthly fees are attached.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Traveler's checks work best for teenagers. Having to take out and sign a $20 or $50 check every time they spend...they get an idea of what they are spending and how fast...rather than just handing someone a card every time they want something.

You don't say where he's going...but I wouldn't want my 16 year old looking for an ATM on the streets of Hollywood or New York or Washington, for instance.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 03:34 PM

I have joint accounts with my sons.

By the way, if you get an ATM in your name, and give it to your child, why can't he use it during the trip? And in case of emergency you can add money to the account.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Why not have a teenager look for an ATM in New York or Washington? There are several on every block - every supermarket, drug store and deli have perfectly good ATMs - usually available 24 hours per day.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:08 PM

My parents made me pin my cash to my bra when I flew to NYC on a spring break as a high school junior. I remember being very mortified and wishing the money was at least in singles so I would have had some chest.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:41 PM

I have gotten both of our kids, when under 18, credit cards (also can be used at ATM cards) tied to our accounts with lower credit limits. Each took a short phone call and a few days to arrive in the mail - both kids went with school groups to Europe and although basic expenses were prepaid, this was important for additional money while they were there.

After the trip I kept custody of the cards but there were several times when it was useful to let kid have card for a specific purpose. Now our 18 year old son has his at college with him for emergencies.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:25 AM

But gail, th eoriginal question was how to give hte ki access to cash. Credit card cash advances are surely not efficient.

In response to tracy's suggestion regarding travelers checks, many places just don't take them any more and the ones that do will require (1) that the amount of the check not exceed the amount of the purchase by more than a fixed amount, which can be as low as $20; and/or (2) state-issued ID such as a driver's license or passport. I'd much rather have my kid looking for an atm, I think tracy might have an exaggerted idea of the dangers of using ATMs in crowded cities.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

The "kid" is going to Portland Oregon. I bought a Bank of America/Visa gift card. No fees for use for the 1st six months except for an ATM machine fee of $2.50 for each transaction. He can make cash withdrawl from the card when he makes a store purchase to avoid this fee. I will also look into the AMEX card for extra assurance, thanks.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Another way to get small cxash without paying ATM fee is to get cash when making purchase with credit or debit card - like buy $10 of groceries and card is charged $35 and you get $25 cash. Don't know if this will be helpful to him, but most of us are more comfortable if we have several ways to get cash if we need it.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Also, check out Visa Buxx

http://www.visabuxx.com/

This is a pre-loaded card, accepted everywhere that Visa is accepted, usuable as a credit and ATM card. You can reload as often as needed. Of course, there are fees involved. They are available through several banks. If you already have an account with that bank the fees are less.

I didn't want my daughter to have access to my ATM card since she would have to use the same pin #. I don't think a 17 year old needs to know their parents account balances.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck yeah, you'd better get him TWO cards! A 16 year old who wants to take "plenty of money" on spring break won't be happy with just one! What the hay, get him THREE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -