Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the best hotel/resort/b&b in Kihei?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Basically that's my question in a nutshell. What's the nicest hotel/resort/b&b in Kihei?

Thanks-marclaud
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Kihei is overwhelmingly devoted to rentals of condominiums. Two mid-range hotels come to mind: Maui Coast and Mana Kai. The later is a hybrid-part hotel, part condo, on a great beach, Keawakapu. Decent restaurant with spectacular water views, Five Palms, recently renovated. The Maui Coast is across the main drag from the ocean. Seem to recall it's near Cove Park, not a desireable beach. I'm clueless about B&Bs (among other things). The true good/great resorts are farther south in Wailea and west in Ka'anapali and Kapalua.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:34 PM
bonniebroad

The nicest in what price range, Marclaud? That would help us a lot!

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM

For some strange reason, no matter where I travel, the best accommodations are always the one where I am staying. "Best" is purely subjective. We recently overheard two people discussing how "ghetto" the Maui Banyon was, and then we were invited to visit friends staying there and were thrilled with the place. One man's ghetto is apparently another man's haven.

But, there are no resorts in Kihei, by the modern definiation thereof. The Maui Lu was the first resort built in south Maui, but it hardly qualifies as a resort by the standards set by the Japanese-built complexes in Wailea or the planned community in Ka`anapali. But there are plently lovely condos.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Well bonniebroad, I'm looking to spend as much as $300. It seems that all the places in Wailea are now going for rates over $300. But I shall not despair. As here_today_gone_2Maui said, wherever we stay will be great. I was just looking for that pampering experience-you know? Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Are you specifically wanting Kihei? Go a little further south to Wailea and there is no shortage of pampering! Beachgirl66 apparently got a quote for a room at the Grand Wailea for under $300.! Look also at Four Seasons, Fairmont Kea Lani, and the Renaissance.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM
bonniebroad

Marclaud, if you buy the Entertainment Book, you can get an oceanfront room at the Renaissance Wailea for $250 per night (regularly $500, and lesser views for less.) That is during the April 15 - December 15 time period, depending on availability - we could have gotten them for July. The E Book is on sale right now at *entertainment.com* for a total, with s&h, of $15.00......... the 2004 edition. Can't get better than that!!!! You can use a local edition or the Hawaii one for booking resorts/hotels. By the way, some hotels NOT listed in the book still honor the card. You just have to ask at a few......