Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what's the best frequent-flyer-miles credit card?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:15 AM
hens4th

I need to get a good ff-miles credit card to start earning miles for future travel. Interest rate not important, as I plan to use it only on things that I have the cash to pay in full every month (I figure grocery and utility expenses alone will give me a good start on earning miles). Need a low annual fee card, and also one that the miles don't expire, since our income/lifestyle won't allow me to accrue miles very quickly. What card might you suggest for us?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Cindy

Try Citibank TravlerMiles card. You can accrue $100 vouchers for each $6,000 spent, good on any airline and can be used as $100 increments. Yearly fee is only $39.00.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:05 AM
xxx

Citibank's American Airlines Advantage card has a $50 fee, earn 1 mile for every $ spent, and they always have specials for earning more miles per dollar. Miles won't expire, as long as you have activity in your account (which if you use the credit card won't be a problem). www.citibank.com for details on the credit card, and www.aa.com for details on how and where to earn miles. Plus I just signed up for Citibank's AA debit card, which means I'm earning miles on my own cash that I spend. (We've already flown to Grand Cayman on miles and already have enough for two to Hawaii). Can't beat that for a $50 annual fee!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:08 AM
John

I use the Chase/Continental Airlines cards. Have one for business and one for pleasure. The annual fee is $40 or so, I think.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:44 AM
swoop

I have CitiMiles through Citibank. There is no annual fee and I receive 2 miles for every $15 charged. Although that might not seem like alot, when you redeem the miles it is mile-for-mile; 1400 miles roundtrip to Florida needs 1400 miles for a free ticket. I can't even begin to tell you how many free tickets we've earned, just by doing our every day shopping with our credit card (we do pay it off each month).

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:40 AM
sal

Try United Airlines. I have this one and have been very pleased. You can also booked miles on Delta.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:41 AM
sal

Try United Airlines. I have this one and have been very pleased. You can also book miles on Delta.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:31 PM
cl9

I've never used FF miles and I have a question?

How many miles do you need to get somewhere? (generic or specific examples anyone?)

I went looking around just yesterday and didn't really find any info on this at the airline sites?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:38 PM
gail

Regarding how many miles you need to go somewhere - it varies - but a ballpark figure without special deals, it is usually 25,000 miles to go roundtrip in continental US. About 50,000 to go US to Europe RT.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:21 PM
dana

Capital One Miles Plus is 9.9% rate
and an annual $19 per year charge to maintain the card.
The minimum amount is either 18,000 miles or 25,000 redeemed for a free ticket anywhere in the U.S. And there's no blackout periods either.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Polly

Please, can you post more specific information as to how to find out about Citibank FF mile CC's. I tried www.citibank.com and cannot find a link to CC's with perks of any kind. TY

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Polly

Nevermind...I found it! FF miles are American Airlines.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:08 AM
arjay

If you would be flying from a city served by Midwest Express, you might consider their card. Tho the fee for their card is $60, I think, I also think they are the ONLY way to fly, in terms of comfort and service. They are just moving to the 25,000 miles ($) point (had been at 20,000) for domestic trips, and you can fly overseas via Virgin (London), or they partner with Northwest Airlines.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Al

This topic has been covered several times if you do a search. We use to have FF credit cards but have now switched to the American Express and belong to the Rewards Program. The points acrue in an account and can be withdrawn for use in approximately 12 airline partners or all the major hotel chains, car rentals etc. This has worked best for us since sometimes we need the miles/points for one particular airline over another, or sometimes we have the FF miles but need the free hotel stays. I can only say that this is what works best for us. Go to www.americanexpress.com and review their program. Al

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 06:33 AM
cl9

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses.
I was considereing a CitibankAAdvantage card, but now I'm thinking the Capitol One Miles Plus might be a better deal.
Although those bonus miles are pretty tempting. I'll look into the CitiMiles one too. I like the idea of not being locked into a few airlines; it seems like I never fly the same airline twice.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 08:45 AM
cl9

in a row that is