What's in the middle of Northern NJ and Charlottesvillle, VA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is looking to buy a "weekend house" somewhere in between Northern NJ and Charlottesville, VA. My brother and his wife just had a baby and my parents don't like the 6 hour drive they have to do each time to go see their granddaughter. What town would you recomment that would be a 3 hour drive for a middle point?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Just from looking at a map, the Baltimore area seems about middle. Maybe slightly north of there.

But I'm really surprised that your brother and his wife would agree to drive frequently 3 hours from home and either keep the baby out all day, or have the baby sleep in a hotel room, just to see the grandparents. Not that people never travel with kids, just that it's a lot easier, usually, for grandparents to travel than parents with little babies.

I know it's not my business, but have they considered maybe alternating, so that sometimes the grandparents drive to your brother's house and sometimes the parents drive with the baby to the grandparents' home? That way they'd always have the comforts of "home" and the new parents would travel less often. Just a thought.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

It would be a once a month thing and they will not be sleeping in a hotel room. They want to move up to Northern NJ, but his wife has a situation with a daughter she has from a previous marriage and they don't want to move her away from the father, because they would never want to take a child away from the father.

It was my brother and his wife's idea. All I'm trying to do is get some info.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Hagerstown MD - 3 hours 48 from Elizabeth NJ (I just guessed a northern NJ city; Hwy 78 to 81 south) and 2 hours 55 minutes from Charlottesville (via Hwy 81).

That said, I agree with jlm_mi: if I had a newborn, I would not want to drive that far for the weekend, even on a monthly basis.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:41 AM

Maryland is the mid point, baltimore is about 2.5 to 3 hours from northern nj depends on where you are, if you are close to turnpike 2.5. western md would have a more weekend flair, you could think about the area around catoctin mountain st. park (this is near camp david) very pretty area. (north of frederick as someone else pointed out as a midway)